OT - Region Smart Interstate Compact

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
So this has been a topic of discussion in my office today and I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before or not. It seems like this hasn't gotten a lot press. So basically the Mid-South counties (AR, TN and MS) want to form a Governmental Agency for the growth and development of the region. The agency will be made up of 15 appointed commissioners rather than elected officials. Everyone here thinks this is just a way for non elected officials to rob the resources of the surrounding rural counties for the betterment of Memphis.

Here is the description from the TN bill.

"For the purposes of improving the quality of life, promoting economic development, stimulating economic growth, minimizing unemployment, and promoting the general welfare for the benefit of the citizens of Arkansas, Mississippi, and Tennessee, these states do hereby agree and pledge to each other their faithful cooperation in the future planning and development of the RegionSmart Development District, holding in high trust for its people and the nation the natural advantages thereof, and do hereby enter into the following Compact in keeping with the provisions of Article 1, Section 10, of the Constitution of the United States of America."

Link to the Agency's website - http://www.regionsmart.org/

Link to MS Bill - http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2022/html/SB/2700-2799/SB2716IN.htm

Just putting this out there to get pack's opinion.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If it ever happens, there will be splinter groups along regional lines accusing other splinter groups of impropriety. There will be embezzlement, bribes, probably some arrests. There will be grand announcements of YUGE progress but no visible signs of it. It will last a short time, maybe a couple years and will be dissolved eventually. Think along the same lines of "Farrish Street Entertainment District" in downtown Jackson only in a larger area.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Mississippi Center for Public Policy thinks it's bad policy and they might have a point: Link
(look for SB 2716)

But it might be moot because...

View attachment 24022

Died today according to the Bill Status site: Link.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
A co-worker of mine just called his representative's office and apparently it failed in in TN as well. I wasn't exactly fond of it either.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login