OT: Related to the Tupelo/police incident discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I debated whether to post this, but I saw the link last night and watched with interest because we had just been discussing the topic on SPS. It's an incredible video, because you don't see this kind of talk on social media much, and you especially don't see someone admit they were wrong. I almost can't believe they posted it, but I'm glad they did.

Just a little background, so you can decide for yourself whether to spend a few minutes watching. It's a discussion between two gentlemen who apparently get together and chat every couple of weeks. One is a professor at Brown, one is a professor at Columbia. The Columbia professor also happens to be a journalist at the New York Times. Both seem highly educated. Both happen to be black men. Judging from some off-topic discussion later in the video, they both seem to dislike Donald Trump to some degree, and I think one dislikes him a lot. But that's not what the video is about. It's about these two seemingly normal guys, who had one opinion based on what they had seen and heard, but who now have changed their opinions based on new information. And they discuss with brutal honesty why they have changed, and how the whole incident has seemingly changed the world. The topic is the George Floyd incident and the recent documentary about it. I don't want to start a new political thread, or a thread necessarily about Floyd/Chauvin and guilt or innocence. Just thought this was interesting on that topic.

You can watch the first 6 or 8 minutes and get a feel for it, but the whole thing is good and I wish everyone would watch it. These guys are for America and want things to be better, which I appreciate. I had never heard of either of them before, but I wish more people on both sides could have civilized discussions like this, reevaluate when new evidence is brought forth, and even agree to disagree but remain cordial, as they do.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I haven’t watched it yet but that’s pretty telling if John McWhorter has changed his mind.
You can tell he's agonized over it too, but he comes off as very level headed about it. That's what I thought was amazing, in today's environment no one really wants to do that.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
How so? He has made a career as the black guy saying conservative things.

He's not conservative. He's not just reliably liberal. He gets ostracized by black colleagues for not thinking like Al Sharpton. You make more money, millions like Kendi and Coates, if you tow the liberal line. Guilt-ridden white progressives will shower you with money and prizes if you tell them how racist America is.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Good cops need to stop protecting bad cops, yes I know unions do a lot of it, and libz need to stop demonizing police officers. They're the ones who risk their lives to protect others. I know of know other profession where people run toward gun shots after hearing them.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Did a double-take when I saw the name, I did some work with McWhorter about 20 years ago when he was a lot more focused on psycholinguistics. He was a pretty hot commodity in the field at the time and still known in the area. He started really moving towards policy and politics about the time LLP models were gaining traction. Could have ridden that AI train

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Had no idea the McWhorter/Loury video was going to be the topic when I hit this thread. I watched it last night and it prompted me to watch the Fall of Minneapolis documentary referenced until way past midnight.

Suffice to say I wasn't the least bit surprised by the contents of that documentary, except that the magnitude of the amorality and deceit is beyond what even my cynical old azz had conjured.

Watch the documentary. It's free on YouTube. I'd be interested in your thoughts, but only after you actually watch it all the way through.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
He's not conservative. He's not just reliably liberal. He gets ostracized by black colleagues for not thinking like Al Sharpton. You make more money, millions like Kendi and Coates, if you tow the liberal line. Guilt-ridden white progressives will shower you with money and prizes if you tell them how racist America is.
He sure says a lot of conservative things. And he has a pretty sweet gig doing it. Just saying, it's no surprise he would say these things. He says things like it all the time. He works for and surrounds himself with people that say these things. Why would anyone be surprised he said another one?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Had no idea the McWhorter/Loury video was going to be the topic when I hit this thread. I watched it last night and it prompted me to watch the Fall of Minneapolis documentary referenced until way past midnight.

Suffice to say I wasn't the least bit surprised by the contents of that documentary, except that the magnitude of the amorality and deceit is beyond what even my cynical old azz had conjured.

Watch the documentary. It's free on YouTube. I'd be interested in your thoughts, but only after you actually watch it all the way through.
You should probably start by seeing who made the doc. I wouldn't trust anyone of that background on either side.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You should probably start by seeing who made the doc. I wouldn't trust anyone of that background on either side.

You've made it very clear that you have a team and don't think much for yourself. I decided a while back that I don't care much what you post because I believe you've made up your mind based on a tribe mentality.

If I see something from you that makes me think you've opened up to thinking for yourself I'll pay attention, but that day isn't here

Have you watched the documentary?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
He sure says a lot of conservative things. And he has a pretty sweet gig doing it. Just saying, it's no surprise he would say these things. He says things like it all the time. He works for and surrounds himself with people that say these things. Why would anyone be surprised he said another one?
Liberals often say conservative things. I know a lot of liberals who live conservatively but don't like admitting it publicly. He's always voted Dem and admits that. I've been listening to Loury and McWhorter for some time and read Loury decades ago. He's conservative, McWhorter isn't. McWhorter thinks the left has gone off the rails with the social justice/anti-racism nonsense. McWhorter is a serious scholar, someone with an impressive academic record in his field. He thinks the social justice/anti-racist types are lightweights and charlatans and that many white progressives worship them because they have lower standards for black scholars. And they don't want to be called racists. McWhorter is respected, well not by black colleagues, because he's a scholar and he's honest. He's genuine and not expressing opinions simply to cash in even though people value his opinions. His career is as an academician, a linguist. His cultural and political commentary took off because he noticed reality.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Liberals often say conservative things. I know a lot of liberals who live conservatively but don't like admitting it publicly. He's always voted Dem and admits that. I've been listening to Loury and McWhorter for some time and read Loury decades ago. He's conservative, McWhorter isn't. McWhorter thinks the left has gone off the rails with the social justice/anti-racism nonsense. McWhorter is a serious scholar, someone with an impressive academic record in his field. He thinks the social justice/anti-racist types are lightweights and charlatans and that many white progressives worship them because they have lower standards for black scholars. And they don't want to be called racists. McWhorter is respected, well not by black colleagues, because he's a scholar and he's honest. He's genuine and not expressing opinions simply to cash in even though people value his opinions. His career is as an academician, a linguist. His cultural and political commentary took off because he noticed reality.

Very 17'ing well said. I didn't have the energy or eloquence for that.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Compared to you, even a communist would say a lot conservative things.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You've made it very clear that you have a team and don't think much for yourself. I decided a while back that I don't care much what you post because I believe you've made up your mind based on a tribe mentality.

If I see something from you that makes me think you've opened up to thinking for yourself I'll pay attention, but that day isn't here

Have you watched the documentary?
Hes an idiot. Iq below 110 easily.

Don’t sugar coat it.

• Haha
Reactions: Coast_Dawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

The truly sad thing to me is that black men who are clearly very intelligent, deep thinking Ivy League professors are not universally respected and admired among others of their race.

They symbolize how far we've come in this country in our thinking and actions regarding race. As far as I'm concerned, disagree with them all you want, but they deserve respect.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Conservatives often say a lot of liberal things too. But this guy says things that only conservatives say. He claims he's liberal, but his words say he's not. Perfect for the NYT. He said a lot of stuff in that video that your average poster here would know is not true or that he thinks is new info but never was. If you can't see the obvious, I can't help you.

Nov 20, 2023
I debated whether to post this, but I saw the link last night and watched with interest because we had just been discussing the topic on SPS. It's an incredible video, because you don't see this kind of talk on social media much, and you especially don't see someone admit they were wrong. I almost can't believe they posted it, but I'm glad they did.

Just a little background, so you can decide for yourself whether to spend a few minutes watching. It's a discussion between two gentlemen who apparently get together and chat every couple of weeks. One is a professor at Brown, one is a professor at Columbia. The Columbia professor also happens to be a journalist at the New York Times. Both seem highly educated. Both happen to be black men. Judging from some off-topic discussion later in the video, they both seem to dislike Donald Trump to some degree, and I think one dislikes him a lot. But that's not what the video is about. It's about these two seemingly normal guys, who had one opinion based on what they had seen and heard, but who now have changed their opinions based on new information. And they discuss with brutal honesty why they have changed, and how the whole incident has seemingly changed the world. The topic is the George Floyd incident and the recent documentary about it. I don't want to start a new political thread, or a thread necessarily about Floyd/Chauvin and guilt or innocence. Just thought this was interesting on that topic.

You can watch the first 6 or 8 minutes and get a feel for it, but the whole thing is good and I wish everyone would watch it. These guys are for America and want things to be better, which I appreciate. I had never heard of either of them before, but I wish more people on both sides could have civilized discussions like this, reevaluate when new evidence is brought forth, and even agree to disagree but remain cordial, as they do.

Will watch and give my opinion afterwards… I was just having a conversation with my Wife earlier around 7:30 or 8 about how so many people it seems can’t/don’t think for their selves. The just do or repeat what they hear from family and or friends etc. That or have minds made up ahead of time.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
The truly sad thing to me is that black men who are clearly very intelligent, deep thinking Ivy League professors are not universally respected and admired among others of their race.

They symbolize how far we've come in this country in our thinking and actions regarding race. As far as I'm concerned, disagree with them all you want, but they deserve respect.
Well, we have come full circle now when Christmas parties for non-whites-only is acceptable and defended so don’t get your hopes up about people accepting lines of thinking that don’t go lockstep with the party line.

Reactions: tbaydog

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Conservatives often say a lot of liberal things too. But this guy says things that only conservatives say. He claims he's liberal, but his words say he's not. Perfect for the NYT. He said a lot of stuff in that video that your average poster here would know is not true or that he thinks is new info but never was. If you can't see the obvious, I can't help you.
I’m curious about all these liberal things conservatives say…

Reactions: tbaydog

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Know what I think about race? I don't. And I wish everyone would quit sifting every issue through a racial, or while we're at it, a sexual orientation sieve. So sick of it. Use common sense (if you have any) and think for yourselves people.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I certainly say liberal stuff, and believe some of it, but I'm not a liberal. Lemme guess, you occupy something called the left pole and anyone not on it is either conservative or far right. "He said a lot of stuff..." Point some out. Didn't watch the video, btw, but let me know what's inaccurate in it and I'll take a look.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Know what I think about race? I don't. And I wish everyone would quit sifting every issue through a racial, or while we're at it, a sexual orientation sieve. So sick of it. Use common sense (if you have any) and think for yourselves people.
Exactly. If there is an issue (and there is), it's primarily a policing issue, that hits certain groups disproportionately (race). McWhorton is just waking up to that (white people get shot by cops too). A liberal would have already known it. Classic centrist conservative, an absolute perfect fit for the NYT. He gets to trumpet a doc made by conservative interest groups (the doc maker is literally the wife of the police union president, I mean come on people show some critical thinking skills) and pretend it's enlightening.

Reactions: dorndawg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login