OT - Restaurants in Laurel?

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
Need help from the pack. Going on a work trip tomorrow and staying in Laurel. Any good spots to eat at there?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you find yourself out by the airport/industrial park, Hog Heaven BBQ is pretty good.

I don't know about downtown.

MooseDog

Sep 29, 2022
Mimmos downtown is our family's favorite spot and personally my favorite pizza place period. Pearls down town is also good for southern style plate lunches.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Cafe La Fleur is usually good but only open for lunch. Same for Pearl’s Diner. The Loft is a good spot if you’re looking for something around dinner time. Mimmo’s is a solid Italian option.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Cafe Le Fleur is downtown and a "trendy" place to eat. It's OK, but nothing special.

I laughed out loud when I saw “trendy” describing Cafe LaFleur. I ate there often when I was working in Laurel in the previous millennium…

Edit— That line about the barbecue place got deleted. Sigh— Anyway It’s a good place to eat but I prefer another…

Mimmo’s is very good. Pearl’s has gotten a lot of love thanks to the Hometown series. The barbecue place is good.

I have not been to the Loft.

Two more suggestions

Phillips Drive In — but call it PDI — burgers, fries, shakes
Wilson’s Commissary - lunch place — been once. Good food.
The Smokehouse of Laurel — close to downtown and unassuming — good food.
Lee’s Coffee and Tea - downtown. Has good sandwiches and soup

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Cafe LeFleur is the best option. The Loft is excellent too. I’ve heard mixed reviews of Mimmos, some good some not so good.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I laughed out loud when I saw “trendy” describing Cafe LaFleur. I ate there often when I was working in Laurel in the previous millennium… It’s a good place to eat but I prefer another…
My only visit, and it was in September, the crowd was more "touristy." It was like most other restaurants, it was fine, but nothing to go out of the way for.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My only visit, and it was in September, the crowd was more "touristy." It was like most other restaurants, it was fine, but nothing to go out of the way for.
It’s that Hometown Effect.

So surreal to imagine that my birthplace of all places is a tourist destination…

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

So surreal to imagine that my birthplace of all places is a tourist destination…
It is crazy! Some local have complained that they are having to pay more for houses in town than they think they should. Hopefully, values will remain high long term.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I grew up in Laurel but moved away before the Hometown craze. It is unreal to me to hear people refer to Laurel as a touristy place now. Was not remotely like that in the 90’s and 2000’s.

AleutianIslandawg

Oct 8, 2021
I went to Wilson's commissary a few months back for lunch and would go again.
Also, the Knight Butcher downtown does serve lunch I believe. Do yourself a favor and get a bag of ribeye jerky from them.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

What is a hometown effect and why does Laurel of all places have it when other towns don't?
I drove thru Laurel monthly in the early 00s to visit my wife when she was at Tulane and can't remember anything about Laurel that stands out, other than the hard turn on the interstate that existed in the middle of town.
...at least I think that was Laurel?...maybe Meridian? It's been a moment.

Anyways, I don't remember that town seeming like a tourist destination.

ETA- oh, it's an HGTV show. Just googled the town and that's advertised on the town's main page. Yeah, I can see why I didn't know about it.
Is this like Missippi's version of Magnolia and the Waco Gaines couple?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
ETA- oh, it's an HGTV show. Just googled the town and that's advertised on the town's main page. Yeah, I can see why I didn't know about it.
Even more so.

The show covers select parts and selected people in Laurel.

I know quite a few folks who’ve been on the show and one had her house made over.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
What is a hometown effect and why does Laurel of all places have it when other towns don't?
I drove thru Laurel monthly in the early 00s to visit my wife when she was at Tulane and can't remember anything about Laurel that stands out, other than the hard turn on the interstate that existed in the middle of town.
...at least I think that was Laurel?...maybe Meridian? It's been a moment.

Anyways, I don't remember that town seeming like a tourist destination.

Pretty much. The Chip and Joanna Gaines show stopped production on HGTV not long after the Hometown show debuted, so it kinda filled that void for HGTV and has grown a lot in popularity. I think they’ve already announced a Season 7 and 8 for it.

I cannot begin to describe how weird it is to turn on a show like that and 95% of the people buying houses are people you went to high school with.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Even more so.

The show covers select parts and selected people in Laurel.

I know quite a few folks who’ve been on the show and one had her house made over.
This is likely jealously or just haters, but my business associates in Laurel say that Erin and Ben sometimes do shoddy work and GCs hate doing in behind them to fix issues. Any truth to that?

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is likely jealously or just haters, but my business associates in Laurel say that Erin and Ben sometimes do shoddy work and GCs hate doing in behind them to fix issues. Any truth to that?
Sounds exactly like Mississippians - we love to eat our own and shlt all over each other.

patdog

May 28, 2007
In general, I think that's a problem with pretty much all of the home makeover shows.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The Loft or Edgar's for steak (JDQ BBQ has great ones too if they're doing them that day).

kired

Aug 22, 2008
There was a pasta place... was it just called "pastas" or something simple like that? Back 2005-2006. I worked in Laurel for my first job out of college, that was my favorite restaurant but assume it's closed now.

There was a group of us all pretty much straight out of college (all worked for Howards), we'd eat at Cafe Le Fleur once a week. If Mr. Howard came in we'd all order a slice a cake because we knew he'd cover our bill, lol

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

With any of those shows, I know that what they show on camera is the entirety of what gets fixed up. So let’s say there doing a house with two bathrooms, if they only show one of the bathrooms re-done, the other one probably didn’t get touched and still looks 100 years old when they leave.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I cannot leave the Laurel thread alone without giving Mi Casita a shoutout. My first date with my now wife was there (well at the old location, they got a new building circa 2011). We then went and watched the movie “Diary of a Mad Black Woman”, you know, as all extremely Caucasian teenagers do.

IMPP

Sep 30, 2022
Corndog 7 in Sawmill Square Mall
Make sure to get the cheesy fries and the Lemonade

the chicken strips from the Piggly Wiggly on 16th ave are the best I have ever had and it’s right next door to George’s liquor store which is one of the best in Mississippi to find a hard to find bottle

your welcome

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login