OT-riding lawn mowers

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Prices are crazy, and it seems to me most new lawn tractors are cheap plastic junk. Are there any reasonable options of good quality?

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I’ve got about 5 acres to mow. Purchased a” commercial “ ex-Mark about 8 years ago and have been pleased with it. It was pricey, but worth it.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
About this time last year, I picked up a trade in JD x350, 42inch, for just less than the s100's were at the Big Box.
It had 97 hours on it, and in great shape. It weighs about 100lbs (heavier steel) more than the S100, and has a twin cylinder, Kawasaki engine.
You might check with JD. Or other dealers.
I think I got lucky.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Does it have to be a lawn tractor? If you're open to a zero turn, look at the Hustler brand. I've got a 42" Dash that works really good for up to an acre.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Depends on your acreage. I have a 60 inch cub cadet ZT2 zero turn. I cut a little over 4 acres. It has a fabricated deck and really easy deck adjustment. I don’t really have any complaints after 100 hours of operation. Simple solid mower.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
If your preference is a lawn tractor my suggestion is John Deere. If your area is larger that 1 or 2 acres I would buy a Scag zero turn. it has been great for me. Be sure to buy somewhere that will service it when needed.

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
We have about 7 acres to mow and we have a Spartan gas burner. We had a grasshopper diesel we ran for 20+ years and needed an upgrade. It cuts great, but it is freaking FAST. It definitely takes getting used to. We love it though.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Prices are crazy, and it seems to me most new lawn tractors are cheap plastic junk. Are there any reasonable options of good quality?
I bought a used Hustler fasttrak and used it for 16 years. I mow 2 1/2 acres at my house every 5-7 days in warm months plus lots of mowing for church, friends, .... Only replaced 1 belt and 1 spindle during that time. Then traded it in for a new hustler. No issues with it yet either.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
In a lawn tractor, I'd agree with what's already been said. John Deere. Just be sure it's from Deere dealer and not the box stores. We do 5 acres and the wife wanted a zero turn, I got her a Gravely 2 years ago and she loves it. My bud has 2 Grasshoppers and that or Scag would be my next choice.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I bought a 60" Country Clipper and love it. Much better than other zero turns I had before. I love that it has a joystick and not the handles. Hold your beer in one hand and mow with the other.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I’ve got a couple dudes names Juan and Jose can’t beat ‘em for reliability. I watch golf or fish or wake surf while they do their thing best money ever spent Commercial mower 12k. I can pay em 4 years and by then I would want a new mower so I start over

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Deere still makes their higher end lawn tractors in US but lower end are made by MTD in China along with most other low end mowers i.e. Craftsman, low end Cub Cadets, etc. I bought a 22hp Cub w/ Kawasaki and a 46" deck. I've had it 6yrs w/ no problems but I do have an idler rattling now so about to take it in and let them have it while they aren't busy. I got a trailer for it and love that too for limbs, bags of dirt, hauling stepping stones, firewood, etc.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Find a nearby dealer who has been there awhile and likely will be there in the coming years. Buy whatever he sells, his service is worth more than the name on the mower. Lowe’s ain’t gonna work on your mower or help you with parts.
This guy knows. Go to your closest chainsaw, mower, equipment etc shop and find out what they do warranty work on or sell. Having someone close by to work on something is most important

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Define “reasonable “

ETA: Kubota 60” Z726X has been great over the last 5 years mowing about 5.5 acres per week. Whatever you do talk to the dealer about expected duty cycle. They will tell you how many acres per week it should reliably mow.

Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If you want a garden tractor, watch Craig's list for a Cub Cadet GT series from the late 90s early 2000s like the GT1554 These aren't the one they sell at Lowes or Home deport. They have shaft drive and good decks, a cast iron differential with 1 inch axles, and the hydro transmission motor is the same Parker you'll find on XMarks. The engines are the industrial twins from Kohler. I've got one that's about 15 years old now and I beat the hell out of that thing but it just keeps on going. Rated for ground engaging attachments and can pull trailers and wagons. They tend to be a good bit cheaper than an equivalent spec John Deere, if you can find one.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I will second the Spartan. I bought when it was still a new company, so they were cheaper back then trying to get some market share. They are very pricey now, but they are well built. I have the RT-Pro 54". I wouldn't get what used to be called the "RZ". That's their entry level mower. The RT is much sturdier.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login