OT: Roku question

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Just got an email from Roku saying that my Roku Ultra will no longer be supported. It'll still work, but won't get software upgrades, etc.

They have something called Roku Streambar that apparently has taken the place of the Ultra. It appears to have its own sound bar - but the question I have is, I already have a Sonus sound bar, and the Ultra uses it for audio. If I were to buy a Streambar, would it still be compatible with the Sonus, our would the audio have to come through what must be an inferior Roku speaker system (you're not going to get much of a sound system for $99).

Presumably the new Roku has certain improvements, like faster access - currently not bad on the Ultra but was terribe on my previous Roku stick several years ago.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I would just buy a new Roku device (streaming stick 4k+) without the soundbar. Your sonos is going to blow that POS out of the water. In your case, its not worth having.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just got an email from Roku saying that my Roku Ultra will no longer be supported. It'll still work, but won't get software upgrades, etc.

They have something called Roku Streambar that apparently has taken the place of the Ultra. It appears to have its own sound bar - but the question I have is, I already have a Sonus sound bar, and the Ultra uses it for audio. If I were to buy a Streambar, would it still be compatible with the Sonus, our would the audio have to come through what must be an inferior Roku speaker system (you're not going to get much of a sound system for $99).

Presumably the new Roku has certain improvements, like faster access - currently not bad on the Ultra but was terribe on my previous Roku stick several years ago.

I have roku, apple tv, and firesticks on different tvs, and each tv gives me the option of selecting some external speaker set up. But I don't use external speakers; I just use the TV internal speaker. This may be naive/ignorant of me, but I just assumed that whatever the TV gets in the input (HDMI in all of these cases), it can put out through the speaker system and that if the speakers are compatible with the TV, the streaming device wouldn't matter.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

I almost always push for a Roku tV with Roku built in. They are great., have never had a problem with them, and they are cheap.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I agree! I have it on my TVs and they have worked flawlessly for years. We dropped cable tv years ago and have not missed it at all. We local channels with an antenna.

fevans

Aug 27, 2012
I have a TCL/Roku tv and it has worked well so far. I do enjoy having the Roku built in.

However, as a general practice I don't like buying integrated products like that. My fear is that the Roku in the tv may become obsolete before the tv itself. Hopefully at that point I can just plug another Roku stick or other streaming device into an HDMI jack and keep going.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Then you can just connect an external device to the HDMI input and you are off to the races again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login