OT: Rolling Stones discography

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Nothing to do with Rolling Fork, but I like to go through artists' albums from beginning to end. I always like the Rolling Stones' music, but I am amazed at how much music they put out, especially during the 60's. (I am only at 1966 now.) What are some of your favorite Stones' songs and/or albums?

• Love
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Nothing to do with Rolling Fork, but I like to go through artists' albums from beginning to end. I always like the Rolling Stones' music, but I am amazed at how much music they put out, especially during the 60's. (I am only at 1966 now.) What are some of your favorite Stones' songs and/or albums?

I'm a bit of a fan. In my opinion, there's only one album in their catalog that's a dud...Dirty Work (1986), which was produced during the biggest Jagger/Richards feud when the future of the band was in doubt. Some people also say Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967) was a bust too, but there's a few redeemable songs on there.

Their first two or three albums are mostly R&B covers, which are great. Their spin on many of those songs is as good or better than the originals. Their first album that was fully originals wasn't until 1966...Aftermath. This album is considered a breakthrough album for them, although they had already put out a number of hit songs, including Satisfaction. So you're getting to that point if you haven't already. Between the Buttons (also 1967) is a subtly good album, but there's no big hits on it.

Beggars Banquet (1968) kicks off a run of 4 albums that are considered their golden era and that, I feel, really helped set the course for the future of rock music.. The other three albums are Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, & Exile on Main Street. Exile was not a critical success at release, but has subsequently been hailed as perhaps their very best. It's a double album of sleazy, down & dirty blues rock that was recorded in the basement of a villa in the south of France that Keith had rented. Very interesting story that is.

The next 3 albums (Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Black & Blue) are considered by many to be a letdown from the previous 4, but I love them. Plenty of grimy rock plus some forays into other genre influences (e.g. reggae). One of my favorite songs is Dance Little Sister on IORR. Jimmy Page was once quoted as saying, referring to Keith's personal problems at the time, which included getting busted for heroin in Toronto in 1977, "You only have to put on 'Dance Little Sister' and you forgive that guy for anything."

Some Girls (1978) is their best selling album of all time. Considered to be in some ways their response to the punk movement, it also includes the disco-inspired Miss You. Also has Beast of Burden & Shattered. Great album. Emotional Rescue (1980) is underrated, and Tattoo You (1981) is awesome. The whole album is great and really consists of songs written in the 70s that were resurrected/reworked. Start Me Up actually started out as a reggae song. The second half of Tattoo is 5 tremendous songs that the casual fan has probably never heard of.

The albums from the remainder of the 80s, the 90s, and the 00s are all good too with the exception of Dirty Work, although One Hit (To The Body) & Harlem Shuffle aren't terrible. One Hit included a guest appearance from Jimmy Page. I won't go into detail on those.

I highly recommend their latest album, Blue & Lonesome (2016). It's completely old blues standards that they recorded really off hand in three days while working on a album that's set to be released, finally, this year. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

A few other notes:
1. Some of their hits were only released as singles, so you may have to pick those up on the compilation albums.
2. Several of their albums had both UK & US versions. These are typically about 90% the same, but their are some differences. For example, Gotta Get Away is only on the UK edition of Out of Our Heads. That's a good song that has been overlooked.
3. Be sure to check out Keith's solo albums too. Talk is Cheap (1988), Main Offender (1992), & Crosseyed Heart (2015). The first two of those were backed by the band he assembled, the X-Pensive Winos, that included Steve Jordan on drums. Steve has been the drummer since Charlie Watts' passing in 2021. The Winos were a really rocking group, especially live. There's also a live album that shows this off.
4. Speaking of Charlie, pay attention to how his drums are more and more featured in the mix as you progress through their catalog. A jazz man at heart, he's really underrated as a drummer and was the Stones' rock that both Mick & Keith relied on.

Last edited:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
I'm a bit of a fan. In my opinion, there's only one album in their catalog that's a dud...Dirty Work (1986), which was produced during the biggest Jagger/Richards feud when the future of the band was in doubt. Some people also say Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967) was a bust too, but there's a few redeemable songs on there.

Their first two or three albums are mostly R&B covers, which are great. Their spin on many of those songs is as good or better than the originals. Their first album that was fully originals wasn't until 1966...Aftermath. This album is considered a breakthrough album for them, although they had already put out a number of hit songs, including Satisfaction. So you're getting to that point if you haven't already. Between the Buttons (also 1967) is a subtly good album, but there's no big hits on it.

Beggars Banquet (1968) kicks off a run of 4 albums that are considered their golden era and that, I feel, really helped set the course for the future of rock music.. The other three albums are Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, & Exile on Main Street. Exile was not a critical success at release, but has subsequently been hailed as perhaps their very best. It's a double album of sleazy, down & dirty blues rock that was recorded in the basement of villa in the south of France that Keith had rented. Very interesting story that is.

The next 3 albums (Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Black & Blue) are considered by many to be a letdown from the previous 4, but I love them. Plenty of grimy rock plus some forays into other genre influences (e.g. reggae). On of my favorite songs is Dance Little Sister on IORR. Jimmy Page was once quoted as saying, referring to Keith's personal problems at the time, which included getting busted for heroin in Toronto in 1977, "You only have to put on 'Dance Little Sister' and you forgive that guy for anything."

Some Girls (1978) is their best selling album of all time. Considered to be in some ways their response to the punk movement, it also includes the disco-inspired Miss You. Also has Beast of Burden & Shattered. Great album. Emotional Rescue (1980) is underrated, and Tattoo You (1981) is awesome. The whole album is great and really consists of songs written in the 70s that were resurrected/reworked. Start Me Up actually started out as a reggae song. The second half of Tattoo is 5 tremendous songs that the casual fan has probably never heard of.

The albums from the remainder of the 80s, the 90s, and the 00s are all good too with the exception of Dirty Work, although One Hit (To The Body) & Harlem Shuffle aren't terrible. One Hit included a guest appearance from Jimmy Page. I won't go into detail on those.

I highly recommend their latest album, Blue & Lonesome (2016). It's completely old blues standards that they recorded really off hand in three days while working on a album that's set to be released, finally, this year. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

A few other notes:
1. Some of their hits were only released as singles, so you may have to pick those up on the compilation albums.
2. Several of their albums had both UK & US versions. These are typically about 90% the same, but their are some differences. For example, Gotta Get Away is only on the UK edition of Out of Our Heads. That's a good song that has been overlooked.
3. Be sure to check out Keith's solo albums too. Talk is Cheap (1988), Main Offender (1992), & Crosseyed Heart (2015). The first two of those were backed by the band he assembled, the X-Pensive Winos that included Steve Jordan on drums. Steve has been the drummer since Charlie Watts' passing in 2021. The Winos were a really rocking group, especially live. There's also a live album that shows this off.
4. Speaking of Charlie, pay attention to how his drums are more and more featured in the mix as you progress through their catalog. A jazz man at heart, he's really underrated as a drummer and was the Stones' rock that both Mick & Keith relied on.
Wow, thanks. Uhhhhmmm, I think you need to write a book on the band and give the proceeds to the Bulldog Initiative.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Beggars Banquet (1968) kicks off a run of 4 albums that are considered their golden era and that, I feel, really helped set the course for the future of rock music.. The other three albums are Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, & Exile on Main Street. Exile was not a critical success at release, but has subsequently been hailed as perhaps their very best. It's a double album of sleazy, down & dirty blues rock that was recorded in the basement of villa in the south of France that Keith had rented. Very interesting story that is.

The next 3 albums (Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Black & Blue) are considered by many to be a letdown from the previous 4, but I love them. Plenty of grimy rock plus some forays into other genre influences (e.g. reggae). On of my favorite songs is Dance Little Sister on IORR. Jimmy Page was once quoted as saying, referring to Keith's personal problems at the time, which included getting busted for heroin in Toronto in 1977, "You only have to put on 'Dance Little Sister' and you forgive that guy for anything."

A few other notes:
3. Be sure to check out Keith's solo albums too. Talk is Cheap (1988), Main Offender (1992), & Crosseyed Heart (2015). The first two of those were backed by the band he assembled, the X-Pensive Winos that included Steve Jordan on drums. Steve has been the drummer since Charlie Watts' passing in 2021. The Winos were a really rocking group, especially live. There's also a live album that shows this off.

Just a bit of a fan, huh??

I had a roommate like you in college, except his jam was Elvis. I know way more than I want to.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Beggars Banquet (1968) kicks off a run of 4 albums that are considered their golden era and that, I feel, really helped set the course for the future of rock music.. The other three albums are Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, & Exile on Main Street. Exile was not a critical success at release, but has subsequently been hailed as perhaps their very best. It's a double album of sleazy, down & dirty blues rock that was recorded in the basement of a villa in the south of France that Keith had rented. Very interesting story that is.

The next 3 albums (Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock 'n Roll, Black & Blue) are considered by many to be a letdown from the previous 4, but I love them. Plenty of grimy rock plus some forays into other genre influences (e.g. reggae). One of my favorite songs is Dance Little Sister on IORR. Jimmy Page was once quoted as saying, referring to Keith's personal problems at the time, which included getting busted for heroin in Toronto in 1977, "You only have to put on 'Dance Little Sister' and you forgive that guy for anything."

A few other notes:
3. Be sure to check out Keith's solo albums too. Talk is Cheap (1988), Main Offender (1992), & Crosseyed Heart (2015). The first two of those were backed by the band he assembled, the X-Pensive Winos, that included Steve Jordan on drums. Steve has been the drummer since Charlie Watts' passing in 2021. The Winos were a really rocking group, especially live. There's also a live album that shows this off.
Your just a BIT of a fan? Dude, thank you so much for that. The Stones have been my favorites since I was 17 and I'm now 60 and that's never come close to changing and never will. I have to say though that you have to put an asterisk besides Zeppelin due to having Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the same band was just flat out not fair to the others. I was born in the Mississippi Delta, Birthplace of Blues and Rock 'N Roll and I love the old blues players and the Rock 'N Roll it Spawned.. Awesome thread and thank you again for that history synopsis, .... Was that yours or was that from an article? BTW... Exile and Beggars are the 2 best IMO.

Reactions: Bobby Ricigliano

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

A few other notes:
They started out as a Delta Blues band, then went to '60's rock, and in the late '70's and early '80's went with the New York vibe sound (sound similar to Billy Joel and Boz Scaggs).

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
My faves (several are rarely on classic rock radio and not even performed at Stones concerts)
They are:

Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’
Heartbreaker
Sympathy For the Devil
Gimme Shelter
Bi##ch
Wating on a Friend
Wild Horses

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
You’re just a BIT of a fan? Dude, thank you so much for that. The Stones have been my favorites since I was 17 and I'm now 60 and that's never come close to changing and never will. I have to say though that you have to put an asterisk besides Zeppelin due to having Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the same band was just flat out not fair to the others. I was born in the Mississippi Delta, Birthplace of Blues and Rock 'N Roll and I love the old blues players and the Rock 'N Roll it Spawned.. Awesome thread and thank you again for that history synopsis, .... Was that yours or was that from an article? BTW... Exile and Beggars are the 2 best IMO.
Sticky Fingers album . Mick Taylor underrated as a Stones influence

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
High Tides & Green Grass - Best Stones album ever IMHO

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Agreed, Mick T was hell and a ton of good schit was done during his short stint. I have so many of these but how in the HELL did this song never get any air play?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think all their 80s albums with the exception of Tattoo You were duds.

And when you're a teenager during the 80s, you're naturally going to think that the Rolling Stones were over the hill during that time.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Your just a BIT of a fan? Dude, thank you so much for that. The Stones have been my favorites since I was 17 and I'm now 60 and that's never come close to changing and never will. I have to say though that you have to put an asterisk besides Zeppelin due to having Jimmy Page and John Bonham in the same band was just flat out not fair to the others. I was born in the Mississippi Delta, Birthplace of Blues and Rock 'N Roll and I love the old blues players and the Rock 'N Roll it Spawned.. Awesome thread and thank you again for that history synopsis, .... Was that yours or was that from an article? BTW... Exile and Beggars are the 2 best IMO.
All me, man. Spent about 45 minutes on that between work meetings.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

And when you're a teenager during the 80s, you're naturally going to think that the Rolling Stones were over the hill during that time.
As a Stones Lifer I respect and agree with your assessment during those dry periods for the Stones back then. I was so obsessed as a youngster I went to see those sum biches 7 times and 2 of those concerts sucked. The bad ones were prolly due to them doing what the 17 I was doing. Who Knows.

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

I'll give you Undercover, but I'm taking Emotional Rescue & Steel Wheels.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Agreed. Love Mick T and his time with the band was their best period. You can really tell his playing...it's so melodic & "soaring" that it really stands out.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
As a Stones Lifer I respect and agree with your assessment during those dry periods for the Stones back then. I was so obsessed as a youngster I went to see those sum biches 7 times and 2 of those concerts sucked. The bad ones were prolly due to them doing what the 17 I was doing. Who Knows.
A part of me kind of wishes I were a little older or younger and had gotten to appreciate them.

My formative music experiences just happen to coincide with the time period where one of the arguably best bands in the world had a lengthy dry spell.

I'll give you Undercover, but I'm taking Emotional Rescue & Steel Wheels.

Steel Wheels is by far the best of the three albums you mention.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
A part of me kind of wishes I were a little older or younger and had gotten to appreciate them.

My formative music experiences just happen to coincide with the time period where one of the arguably best bands in the world had a lengthy dry spell.

Steel Wheels is by far the best of the three albums you mention.
I Respect opinions that differ from my own. Different Generations have always brought new art and it's always been that way. Music is Beautiful Art IMO and Beauty is in eyes / ears of The Beholder.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

A few other notes:

A few other notes:
1680565516493.gif

Attachments

• 1680565439737.gif
    1680565439737.gif
    118.7 KB · Views: 25

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Stones were at their best with Brian Jones--Charlie said "No Jones No Stones" Early Stones were my favorites.
Paint it Black-Satisfaction-Tell Me--Get off of my Cloud-Under My Thumb--Under assistant West Coast promo Man-- all over now--Last Time all great songs. I've always said the Stones are the best cover Band ever. Their Blues covers are great (they were a blues band early on). Honest-I do--Cry to Me--Little Red Rooster-My precious Love-- Spider and the fly--all great.. Like a Rolling Stone--better than Dylan. one of my favorite albums was "Stripped" really great album. Sweet Virginia-- a classic.

FloodDawg

Aug 8, 2021
Saw them in Memphis on the Voodoo Lounge tour and loved the show and their cover of “I Can’t Get Next To You.” Exile is my favorite of theirs. Agree with the recommendation for Stripped and Blue & Lonesome. Since Steel Wheels, I’ve found myself drawn more to the Keith ballads like “Slipping Away,” “The Worst” and “Thief in the Night.”

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I love the Some Girls and Tatoo You albums. My wife and I were just reviewing some of the Rolling Stones songs we enjoyed and the list just kept going and we realized, like you said, their discography is huge. We also realized how much we enjoyed their music more that we had remembered.

garymaroon

Sep 30, 2022
"Tell Me" / "Mona" / "Not Fade Away"/ "Crackin' Up" ( live 80's version ) / "Cry To Me" / "Play With Fire" / All before Beggar's Banquet ( excepting "Crackin' Up" ) , as you can see.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login