OT: running vine in shrubs

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
What can I spray to kill a running vine that is growing in shrubs, particularly junipers. But not hurt the junipers. See pic.

Attachments

• IMG_6096.jpeg
    IMG_6096.jpeg
    911.8 KB · Views: 26

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have something similar, might even be the same thing, that I have been fighting for years. The best method I have found so far is to take a pair of needle nose pliars and use those to wrap the vine on. Get as low to the ground and as far into the shrub as you can that way, then pull the pliers out, taking the vine with you.

But I swear these things have a tuber or something because I never get more than a white chunk at the end and never a root, and they still come back.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Will Round Up kill a juniper? I don't think that it will but don't take my word for it. I'm not that sure. I just know that I spray the woods in front of my house a couple of times a year and I never kill a cedar.

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
I’ve been pulling them out. But they seem to be getting worse. I assume because they get pulled out but not all the way from the root. So it seems they are spreading. Was hoping I could spray it with something and get rid of it.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Small spray bottle of roundup and barely mist the leaves or pour some in a cup and use a 2" paint brush to apply it to the leaves.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
That’s definitely Virginia creeper. Glyphosate (Roundup) will kill it but can kill the shrubs as well. Pulling it up by the root works-but if you leave any roots it will come right back. A solution of 20% white vinegar/80% water will kill it as well, and is more friendly to your shrubs than the glyphosate. I’ve also heard that placing rock salt near the base (root) of the vine will kill it as well. For years I thought it was poison ivy because it looks very similar to it until my Mom told me it was Virginia creeper-the stuff is prolific and can establish anywhere you have fertile soils like flower beds.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I have the same problem. I can't spray what it's in here. I just grab it and pull it out as gently as possible to get it as far down as I can. Rinse and repeat all summer.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Virginia Creeper sucks. Not only is it a never ending battle it can also break you out like poison oak/ivy.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Are you sure that's just a weed?

marijuana pot GIF

Reactions: maroonmadman

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Pull the Creeper vine out away from the juniper. Spray the vine. That should work.

Virginia creeper is just under kudzu IMO. Spreads quickly but the vine is woody and it will spread via the roots which the vine roots all over the spreading vine. Only positive is that it’s pleasant to look at in the fall.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login