OT: Safety toe work boots.. who you got?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
70584757324__57FC4A6A-4A8A-4849-B3AE-B054D6370B25.jpg

70584792286__64520368-CB2C-4C61-816C-991DEA95024D.jpg

I buy a new pair of boots every 5 years whether I need them or not... And on this Monday morning I probably need them.

Who you got? Slip on or lace up.. steel or composite... only deal breaker is they gotta be comfortable and waterproof.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Waterproof is a big deal to me. I wear Red Wing Irish Setters. I'm on my third pair, replace them every ~4-5 years, and haven't had any major problems with them. They are steel toe (not composite/other material) so they're a tad heavy, and they'll set off metal detectors if that's of interest to you. I work at nuclear plants so have to always take them off when going through security, but minor inconvenience for the comfort of them.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I bought a pair of Justin on sale at Academy for like $50 3 or 4 years ago. Wore them 5+ days a week since and they are still holding up

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Go to a Red Wing Store and get your feet scanned they will show you the best boot for your feet geometry. Get a pair that can be resoled and the up front investment will be worth it in the long run. Clean / condition them every month or so and a pair of Red Wings will last you a decade or more.

ArcadeDawg

Jan 14, 2016
Wore Redwings for years and the fit started to change. Don't know if it was the boots or my feet. Started wearing Rockport composite toe six inch lace up and haven't looked back.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
If you want hand made boots that outlast all others and can be custom fit go to Nicksboots.com. I have worn their Americana boot for a year (2-3 times per week) and they still look new. I don’t work on a job site and am pretty easy on boots, but if they wear out Nick’s will rebuild them. They are in Spokane Washington and are pricey. They have many styles.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I’ve had a pair of red wings for 15 years. things are damn near indestructible

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I don't do hard work daily, but for food plots/working on deer stands/etc., i use 511 side zip desert brown combat boots. They are not truly water repellent though even treated with scotch guard, etc.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I bought a pair of Justin on sale at Academy for like $50 3 or 4 years ago. Wore them 5+ days a week since and they are still holding up
I'll second Justin's, Red Wings hold up great but are heavy, at least my last pair was.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Red Wing lace up composites w/ this stuff on them (I buy it on Amazon)

I've actually got a new 6" pair (no safety toes) of lace up Carhartt's that I wear around the house and on weekends that I'm impressed w/ so far, very comfortable after a few days and holding up well although they're only about 2 months old. Advice for using the Huberd's, put it on and put the shoes outside for a day or two, the pine tar in it smells for a day or two but is worth it, softens them up well and waterproofs. No smell after that

1684164624363.png

Link for Huberd's Shoe Grease

constructiondog

Aug 22, 2012
Thorogood slip ons with wedge soles. havent worn any other boot in last 10 years. I usually replace every other year.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Red Wing lace up composites w/ this stuff on them (I buy it on Amazon)

I've actually got a new 6" pair (no safety toes) of lace up Carhartt's that I wear around the house and on weekends that I'm impressed w/ so far, very comfortable after a few days and holding up well although they're only about 2 months old. Advice for using the Huberd's, put it on and put the shoes outside for a day or two, the pine tar in it smells for a day or two but is worth it, softens them up well and waterproofs. No smell after that

View attachment 339982

Link for Huberd's Shoe Grease
I’m going to try the Huberds.. years ago I had a pair of Danner boots that came with Irish Setter leather conditioner that smelled like pine tar. Never been able to find it since.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have been wearing Irish Setter square toes for the last 3 years. They are made by Redwing and are very comfortable and look pretty good too. About $180. Got them from the Redwing store in Flowood. They will fix you up. Shipped my last pair to me.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Try on a pair of Chippewa if you have a dealer around you. The one's I've bought for the last 30 years were American made, don't know if that's still the case or not, mine are about 8 years old. They make specialty boots depending on what kind of work you're doing. I needed inside boots (smoth soled) but toe protection for working in my metal and wood shop and they're great for that.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Wore Redwings for years and the fit started to change. Don't know if it was the boots or my feet. Started wearing Rockport composite toe six inch lace up and haven't looked back.
I used to get ariat because i got a discount and liked the work hogs but then they started hurting my feet when I moved to more humid climate so I went with red wings. Had some pair for two years now no issues.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I always wore Justin's when I had to have them for work. No matter how much I oiled them and sprayed them, the saltwater kills any brand after a couple years. Justin's were always affordable and lightweight. Looks don't matter and Justin's hold up great.
Now, for my everyday wearing boots - Ariat. I've had several different brands, but Ariat is the best non-steel-toe boot for me. I have 4 different pairs I wear - 2 being ostrich and caiman belly for nice occasions. I do want to try a pair of Tecova python boots though. They are sick.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Carhartt composite-toed boots. Fit well, great for 10+ hour days in the field, and they pass seamlessly through metal detectors.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login