OT. Sealing an aluminum boat

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Anyone done this successfully? If so, what did you use?

Was given an old Jon boat last summer. Just now getting to work on it. Filled it with water and had a few drops around some rivets.

Want to seal the outside bottom and maybe put flex seal on inside. Added water protection and sound proofing. Not sure of best material for outside.

Coast Dawg

Feb 28, 2008
I’ve seen a repair done with what looked like a welding stick/rod that can be heated with a propane torch. This repair was done on leaking rivets and worked perfectly and held up great. Just clean the area of any old paint to get to good clean metal before repairing. I’m sure there is a specific name for these types of rods and someone here will know. It looked like a solder process but was compatible with aluminum

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I had an old screen door I was going to throw out. This fast talking dude made me a boat out of it. Damndest thing. He did it with some sort of flexible sealer sprayed from a can, can't remember what he called it. Couldn't stay friends forever, though; he became irritating. My son was 12lb 8oz when he was born. He kept looking at him and pointing to my wife's crotch and saying "that's a lot of damage".

Last edited:

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I’ve done both the brazing rod and JB Weld. With the rod, just make sure you have a good torch. It makes a lot of difference. Both held up great. JB Weld is likely the easiest route

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was looking to restore an old 50’s aluminum runabout a few years ago. During the research I ran across a lot of info about sealing leaking rivets. I can’t remember the specifics but the info is out there if you research it.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
JB Weld Marine Weld Epoxy is better stuff than the JB Weld Water Weld Putty

Sep 15, 2009
JB weld. Got a boat 3 years ago with holes in it. Patched it up and had no leaks since. It’s amazing stuff

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Side thread: I need to replace the bearing assembly on an aluminum boat trailer. Is this as easy as Youtube says it is? i.e., roll down to Napa and get the assembly and just put it on?

How much would it cost to just take it to a tire place or something?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Those little wheel bearings aren’t bad at all to change. Just take it with you and they can check the bearing numbers.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
A lot will depend on how old and what shape the old bearing is in. Once you get it remove and everything cleaned properly it's pretty easy from there.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A lot will depend on how old and what shape the old bearing is in. Once you get it remove and everything cleaned properly it's pretty easy from there.
Total crap honestly, on one of them. The whole cap is off and has been for a while and the wheel is all wobbly spewing grease everywhere.

Trailer is like 40 years old I believe.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Might want to get someone to look at that, you may need more than just bearings.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I had to do it as an emergency once when my tailer both sides failed on my way to Pickwick on a Sunday. I went to a TSC and they sell the entire hub assembly for $45 - $55 depending on which one you need (straight or tapered). We changed them both out in a parking lot. Just pull off the old one and look at the axle. It probably is a one inch straight for a smaller trailer.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login