OT: Seattle

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Family of 4 with grown kids are planning to be in the Seattle area. I have a buddy who used to live there, but he moved away from that area quite a while ago. He gave me things to look into such as the obvious: Space Needle, Puget Sound ferry, Lake Washington etc..

I would appreciate suggestions for activities and recommended areas to stay if you have any.

Thanks in advance

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Kerry Park in the Queen Anne neighborhood has best views of downtown and Space Needle, and its a neat area with several bars and restaurants.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Watch where you are stepping.....

Family of 4 with grown kids are planning to be in the Seattle area. I have a buddy who used to live there, but he moved away from that area quite a while ago. He gave me things to look into such as the obvious: Space Needle, Puget Sound ferry, Lake Washington etc..

I would appreciate suggestions for activities and recommended areas to stay if you have any.

Thanks in advance

Hoards of urban outdoorsmen in Seattle for whom the streets are their outhouse.

North Cascades National Park is an hour or two away. Incredible scenery but not sure about road conditions. Still kind of early for that area.

ob dog

Oct 7, 2012
Pike Place Market. Fresh produce flowers and throwing the whole fish.
catch the Victoria Clipper to Victoria enjoy the area around the harbor maybe hit Butchart Gardens.

fieldcorporal

Nov 1, 2010
Discovery Park, formerly Fort Lawton, is a pretty cool walk. Seems like it took us about 2 hours. There's a light house on the end of the peninsula, and bluffs overlooking Puget Sound. Of special interest to me since my dad was stationed at Ft. Lawton in the '60's, and the area was our playground.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Pikes Place Fish Mkt is always a fun and lively place.
Take in a Mariners game if they’re in town. Great ballpark.
The Edgewater Hotel is excellent and right by where the cruise ships dock.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
^^^ Don't miss Kerry Park for the views.

Also don't miss Salty's at Alki Beach - fine seafood dining with an incredible view:

Feb 15, 2007
Awesome city. Some notes...

Do the observation deck at the Columbia Center, and not the Space Needle. Amazing views.
Space Needle is cool to look at but not worth paying to go in.
Museum of Pop Culture (next to Space Needle) is fun.
Checking out The Gum Wall behind Pike Place.
The Underground Ghost Tour was super interesting. A giant fire in the 1880s leveled the a big part of the city, and they built about 20 feet above original street level. The tour snakes through the tunnels, etc.
If end up going from Pike Place to Space Needle, use the monorail.
If you get a chance, go over the lake and check out University of Washington. Cool campus/football stadium, neighborhood.
We struck out on every food option. Not a big foodie, but we left unimpressed with where we ate.

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
The Experience Music Project was one of the coolest museums I’ve ever been to. Its been renamed the museum of pop culture, not sure if the experience has changed.

Mariners game - best food at any stadium I’ve visited.

Day trip ferry ride to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands to walk/bike around and visit shops if you’re a fan of coastal towns and boat rides.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You can drive about 4 hours west from Seattle on I-90 and throw rocks at Zombie Kissinger's house. If you choose this adventure, let me know and I'll meet you there with a few bucket loads of 2" river rock.

Since it has not been mentioned, if you are in a rental and are up for a drive, you will be about 2 hours from the gondola at Crystal Mountain. You can ride it up to the summit and snag lunch at the restaurant and catch some other worldly views. Probably a bunch of other stuff to do there as well as the ski areas tend to offer summer activities as well.

View attachment 24451

If you're into hiking just go to Mt Rainier NP. I'm hitting it this summer hopefully on a sidebar for another trip.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The original Ivar's Fishhouse on Alaskan Way waterfront. Olympia Pizza at the top of Queen Anne hill. Other than that get out of the city and see the PNW, it's beautiful. Check out the Coast Guard Museum Northwest, also on Alaskan Way. If you see a big red ship with number 10 on the bow, ask for a tour. Don't go on number 11.

coursesuper

Nov 1, 2007
Brewery hopping in the Ballard area is fun, the clipper to Victoria is a must do and an easy day trip. Search out local places to eat, we had some fantastic meals while there.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Havent spent much time, but the airport can be tough. I almost missed a flight after arriving at the airport an hour and half before departure. Can’t remember that ever happening anywhere else.

Mt. Rainer is the biggest thing I’ve ever seen. It looks like a planet if you can see it on a sunny day.

doggystyle

Sep 12, 2012
Bain Bridge Island by Ferry. Eat breakfast at the first restaurant on the left as you walk down Main Street. Sushi Kashiba but get there 2 hours early to get a seat at the bar. Bring $$$$

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login