OT....Shifting from Hail State to hail damage

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We had a lot of hail at my house in Madison so I'm naturally going to file a claim. My question is am I better off contacting my insurance company myself or allowing a roofing company to do it. I ask this because we've had a number of roofing salesmen stop by lately offering free roof inspections for past damage (which I didn't have). Can these guys do a better job of working with insurance adjusters than I can myself ?

HotMop

May 8, 2006
They'll take 100% of what your insurance offers. Contact insurance yourself and get quotes from the roofing companies.

Also, ask your insurance company what upgrades the roofers could do to drop your rates. It could be straps, extra nails, etc. Have the roofers quote with the improvements.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

patdog

May 28, 2007
We had a lot of hail at my house in Madison so I'm naturally going to file a claim. My question is am I better off contacting my insurance company myself or allowing a roofing company to do it. I ask this because we've had a number of roofing salesmen stop by lately offering free roof inspections for past damage (which I didn't have). Can these guys do a better job of working with insurance adjusters than I can myself ?
Don't go with a door-to-door guy. Most of them want an up-front deposit and then don't return your calls. I used Complete Exteriors for a new roof several months ago and was completely satisfied. They did the work for the insurance estimate so I only paid my deductible, even though they threw a few bonuses in (upgraded to architectural shingles and repaired some rot on my chimney) at no additional charge. I highly recommend them.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't go with a door-to-door guy. Most of them want an up-front deposit and then don't return your calls. I used Complete Exteriors for a new roof several months ago and was completely satisfied. They did the work for the insurance estimate so I only paid my deductible, even though they threw a few bonuses in (upgraded to architectural shingles and repaired some rot on my chimney) at no additional charge. I highly recommend them.
Thank you. I'm really in the dark on this other than I (regrettably) just don't trust insurance companies to "do the right thing" all of the time.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Tornado and hail damage last March. State Farm lowballed me based on their adjuster. I then got three quotes. The two cheaper ones were denied because they weren’t itemized and were written on notebook paper. Third and highest quote was finally accepted because the roof guy knew exactly what to put on it so it wouldn’t be denied. Cost State Farm $3000 but I’m sure I’ll reimburse them for it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Be present and vocal when the adjuster shows up. They get bonuses for under evaluation of damages. They will want to repair rather than replace a damaged roof. They tried to deny replacement because my roof was too new, 7 years old. I had to get ugly to get my roof replaced.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thank you. I'm really in the dark on this other than I (regrettably) just don't trust insurance companies to "do the right thing" all of the time.
Blake Baur (601-397-4950) is the guy at Complete Exteriors I worked with. He went up on the roof with the insurance adjuster and they worked everything out between them. Their contract called for me to pay an advance, but they never asked for it and just billed me after the insurance company paid.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’m in TX, so it may be different. We get hail storms a dozen times a year.

We have to have an insurance adjuster come verify the damage. From there, you’ll let your roofer work directly with them.

Many roofers can get the homeowner off with nothing out of pocket…. You’ll get the check (minus your deductible) from the insurance company and then give the roofers your deductible check (wink wink). And from there, you’re out of the game. Roofers will supplement as needed.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
While I truly hope everyone is safe.....

...I must admit that the thread title made me laugh out loud.....

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
I hope you don’t have State Farm! Im presently fighting with them on a roof claim. Everyone in my neighborhood a while back got a new roof. Multiple different insurance companies. My behind neighbor insured by State Farm not 80ft from me got a roof. My across street neighbor aprox 150ft from me insured by State Farm got a roof. Two doors down the street neighbor insured by State Farm got a roof. My roofer reports he personally did 3 other jobs in my neighborhood all insured by State Farm. Seven house within eyesight of my house got roofs.

State Farm even sent me a check for hail damage to my outside air conditioner units.

State Farm does things different. They send out a 3rd party contracted roof inspector. Not an licensed staff adjuster to do roof inspections.

Call your insurance company to report the claim. The insurance company will have their person contact you to schedule a inspection. Have who ever you choose for roofing replacement be there to meet the adjuster. Your roofer should point out the damage and make sure the adjuster documents ALL the damage.

State Farm like a good neighbor won’t pay their claims.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I can't believe I'm reading that people let the roofers deal directly with your insurance company. That's the best way to get 17'd.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I hope you don’t have State Farm! Im presently fighting with them on a roof claim. Everyone in my neighborhood a while back got a new roof. Multiple different insurance companies. My behind neighbor insured by State Farm not 80ft from me got a roof. My across street neighbor aprox 150ft from me insured by State Farm got a roof. Two doors down the street neighbor insured by State Farm got a roof. My roofer reports he personally did 3 other jobs in my neighborhood all insured by State Farm. Seven house within eyesight of my house got roofs.

State Farm even sent me a check for hail damage to my outside air conditioner units.

State Farm does things different. They send out a 3rd party contracted roof inspector. Not an licensed staff adjuster to do roof inspections.

Call your insurance company to report the claim. The insurance company will have their person contact you to schedule a inspection. Have who ever you choose for roofing replacement be there to meet the adjuster. Your roofer should point out the damage and make sure the adjuster documents ALL the damage.

State Farm and All State are garbage.

My uncle had his over the road semi get hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way in the interstate in Montana. Went all down the side and pretty much destroyed the truck. State Farm wont pay anything remotely close to the cost of the truck or even the repairs. Hes had to hire a lawyer.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011

Amen brother. Did this song and dance a year ago. It was amazing that after I threatened to call the state insurance commissioner they agreed to a total roof replacement.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’m in TX, so it may be different. We get hail storms a dozen times a year.

We have to have an insurance adjuster come verify the damage. From there, you’ll let your roofer work directly with them.

Many roofers can get the homeowner off with nothing out of pocket…. You’ll get the check (minus your deductible) from the insurance company and then give the roofers your deductible check (wink wink). And from there, you’re out of the game. Roofers will supplement as needed.
I started to do this, except I took as much money from the roof insurance as possible. The best-priced roofer lives just down the street from me. I can tell you the adjuster said that the hail damage deductible here in this part of Texas is more significant than anywhere else because we have so many hailstorms. I decided to up my coverage on the roof for future storms because we ended up owing a lot of money for a new roof from hail storm that went through here a couple of years ago.

I'm not complaining. There are some places here in central Texas that have gotten substantial damage from hail and wind, and I have even seen a few vehicles that were totaled because of hail damage.

Reactions: eckie1

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have not had a problem with State Farm in 45 years. Guess selecting State grads as my agents has worked out for me.
I’ve been with State Farm for close to 40 years. I had a great agent that retired. Never had an issue until now. It’s my understanding that any claim over $10,000 is now a corporate claim and your local agent no longer has an input in the matter. My agent was absolutely useless and I told him so.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Ideally, the very best thing you can do is have your adjuster let you know when he is coming and have your preferred roofer join him in the damage assessment. One will keep the other honest, if you know what I mean. This is the best approach.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Call Blue Line Construction. He replaced my roof and is a neighbor. Matthew will meet the insurance adjustor and fight the insurance company for you. As others have posted, State Farm sucks and it will be a long process. USAA pays quickly and fairly.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Ideally, the very best thing you can do is have your adjuster let you know when he is coming and have your preferred roofer join him in the damage assessment. One will keep the other honest, if you know what I mean. This is the best approach.
Thank you and I agree. I just don't know enough about hail damage to even argue and I'm damn sure not going to leave it up to the adjuster with him knowing that. I can hear our conversation now. Adjuster: Sir you have some hail damage but we here at Allstate have determined a little hail damage may actually be good for a roof........ Me: Great .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I’ve been with State Farm for close to 40 years. I had a great agent that retired. Never had an issue until now. It’s my understanding that any claim over $10,000 is now a corporate claim and your local agent no longer has an input in the matter. My agent was absolutely useless and I told him so.
We had the exact same experience with Allstate and a car accident a couple of years ago. Got handled 100% via email, texts and telephone conversations with the company. The insurer of the other car (who was 100% at fault) was State Farm and they were awful to deal with.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
speaking of roofs, how do you guys find someone to repair a couple of shingles? I’ve got a couple come loose - can’t get a legit roofing company to come out. Do you just look up a local handyman on fb?

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
By the way, every year you need to shop around. Use an independent agent. I have use SAFECO for several years now. Two roof replacements, did not cost me a dime. They have also been the lowest in premium costs, year after year. I don’t know why anyone would go with St Farm, Allstate, Gico, AAA, or anybody else. My daughter had a bad experience with State Farm that only paid part of her medical bills and car repair. Do not be stuck with the same company year after year. Shop around when your next premium is due. Then, you can thank me for it.

Reactions: 3407Dewey

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
speaking of roofs, how do you guys find someone to repair a couple of shingles? I’ve got a couple come loose - can’t get a legit roofing company to come out. Do you just look up a local handyman on fb?
Had the same thing a couple of years ago except I had a small puncture to fix and a few shingles to replace A neighbor three houses down was getting a new roof I walked down and caught a foreman and asked if he had anyone who might want to make a little cash after work. Late that afternoon a couple of guys showed up made the repairs beautifully and quickly. I gave them 3 Benjamins and everybody was happy.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Long read below, but I went through this last summer….few tips from my experience:

1) If you don’t have a dedicated insurance agent, get one. Just get plugged in to someone local who represents your current carrier, if need be. Believe it or not, they will be your advocate when the insurance company itself tries to 17 you over however possible. They’ll walk you through how to handle the BS if they are any good, including the appeals process. Their job is to get the claim closed with both sides happy, and to retain you as a customer. But they’ll also be honest with you, and let you know if they think the chances for success are low.

2) Contact roofer yourself and insurance company yourself. Roofer can’t file the claim for you, so you gotta do it anyway. Make sure the roofer is present EVERY time any adjustor shows up. But also, choose the roofer carefully. You don’t want a know-it-all prick who is going to hang all over the adjustor and piss them off. A knowledgeable but down to earth and approachable roofer will do the trick. Avoid anyone who tries to guarantee that they can get your insurer to pay out. That’s an empty sales pitch.

3) Be careful any time you are on the phone with the claims department and giving statements. Its always a recorded line and they are trained to make leading statements to make you walk into saying something that creates doubt about the legitimacy of the claim. In my case, they tried to say “well if your roof got hit by hail, don’t you think you’d also have all sorts of damage on your gutters, downpouts, and AC unit?”. No matter how rock solid the claim is, they’ll come up with something to challenge you. Identify when this is happening, and when it does, if you don’t have a rock solid and factual contradiction, simply defer to the expert opinion of your contractor who advised for you to file the claim. Don’t lie, but don’t fall into the trap either. Say as little as possible.

4) If insurance company says they are sending a 3rd party adjustor from some outside firm, just go ahead and get ready to get 17ed on the first go around. These are the clowns they pay bottom dollar for that all climb on 15 roofs a day and just go around denying claims left and right. In my case, they didn’t even do test squares and chalk the damage marks, because the insurance company actively trained them NOT to do this in spite of it being trade standard. Its the first line of defense that insurance throws out to get you to give up.

5) Don’t worry too much about an initial claim denial. Agent will walk you through appeals process if you have an agent. Some robot on a phone line will do the same thing, but a good agent will also help you voice displeasure in a way that gets the claims department’s attention. Again, refer back to #1.

6) Ultimately, you want one of the insurance company’s official field adjustors to review the claim and the damage, with your roofer present. This will be your ticket to getting it approved one way or another. These guys hate the outside mother17er’s they hire on the front end, so they’ll often just completely disregard their judgment and start from scratch.

7) If you have a long tenure with your insurance company with no major claims, leverage the hell out of that if need be. Make sure the agent gets that point loud and clear if you get an initial denial. Remember he or she is not the one making the call on the claim, but they do know who to call to help get shít moving if they think you’re going to drop them if there’s a denial. So be firm but remain cordial in the dealings with the agent.

It took me 3 months, but I eventually got a new roof on an approved claim after an initial denial. The damage I had was fairly obvious, but not overly substantial. I have All State, who as stated above are one of the two most notorious roof claim nazis on the planet. Might not have gone my way without me doing all of the above. Good luck.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you live in the Jxn metro (or the quad cities - Carrollton, Whyknowner, Gunadar, Greenwood), I got a guy.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Be present and vocal when the adjuster shows up. They get bonuses for under evaluation of damages. They will want to repair rather than replace a damaged roof. They tried to deny replacement because my roof was too new, 7 years old. I had to get ugly to get my roof replaced.
I want to put this out there so it’s not taken seriously. This post is not even remotely true and if it was each company that did so would face consequences from the department of insurance in each state and litigation. So please don’t promote false information.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I filed a claim with State Farm in 2019 and was completely denied. Had two roofers tell me I had a legit claim. The State Farm guy says "Well, roofers sell roofs, so it's in their best interest."

Moved and had hail damage a year and a half ago. I had switched to Alfa. Had a door to door guy come and he told me I had damage. Filed a claim with Alfa. Door to door guy was going to be present when the adjuster guy came out but the adjuster looked at it and said there was no need, and I had damage.

Made a mistake by signing with the door to door guy, but it wasn't totally huge. He said they did whatever the insurance claimed, so I was out around $5,000 for my main roof and a detached garage, which would have cost me around $25,000, but that also included a shingle upgrade.

As a side note, before we got Alfa, we had Progressive and my wife got ran off the road in her van. Scuffed up the part between the passenger side window and windshield. Apparently there is a seal that goes all the way around the passenger door and the sliding back door. Progressive totaled out my van, but when I talked to the repair guy I asked him about Alfa and he told me "Alfa is your best insurance, partner. They just would have fixed this no questions."

I'll be an Alfa customer for life, as long as they continue to do business that way.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Long read below, but I went through this last summer….few tips from my experience:

1) If you don’t have a dedicated insurance agent, get one. Just get plugged in to someone local who represents your current carrier, if need be. Believe it or not, they will be your advocate when the insurance company itself tries to 17 you over however possible. They’ll walk you through how to handle the BS if they are any good, including the appeals process. Their job is to get the claim closed with both sides happy, and to retain you as a customer. But they’ll also be honest with you, and let you know if they think the chances for success are low.

2) Contact roofer yourself and insurance company yourself. Roofer can’t file the claim for you, so you gotta do it anyway. Make sure the roofer is present EVERY time any adjustor shows up. But also, choose the roofer carefully. You don’t want a know-it-all prick who is going to hang all over the adjustor and piss them off. A knowledgeable but down to earth and approachable roofer will do the trick. Avoid anyone who tries to guarantee that they can get your insurer to pay out. That’s an empty sales pitch.

3) Be careful any time you are on the phone with the claims department and giving statements. Its always a recorded line and they are trained to make leading statements to make you walk into saying something that creates doubt about the legitimacy of the claim. In my case, they tried to say “well if your roof got hit by hail, don’t you think you’d also have all sorts of damage on your gutters, downpouts, and AC unit?”. No matter how rock solid the claim is, they’ll come up with something to challenge you. Identify when this is happening, and when it does, if you don’t have a rock solid and factual contradiction, simply defer to the expert opinion of your contractor who advised for you to file the claim. Don’t lie, but don’t fall into the trap either. Say as little as possible.

4) If insurance company says they are sending a 3rd party adjustor from some outside firm, just go ahead and get ready to get 17ed on the first go around. These are the clowns they pay bottom dollar for that all climb on 15 roofs a day and just go around denying claims left and right. In my case, they didn’t even do test squares and chalk the damage marks, because the insurance company actively trained them NOT to do this in spite of it being trade standard. Its the first line of defense that insurance throws out to get you to give up.

5) Don’t worry too much about an initial claim denial. Agent will walk you through appeals process if you have an agent. Some robot on a phone line will do the same thing, but a good agent will also help you voice displeasure in a way that gets the claims department’s attention. Again, refer back to #1.

6) Ultimately, you want one of the insurance company’s official field adjustors to review the claim and the damage, with your roofer present. This will be your ticket to getting it approved one way or another. These guys hate the outside mother17er’s they hire on the front end, so they’ll often just completely disregard their judgment and start from scratch.

7) If you have a long tenure with your insurance company with no major claims, leverage the hell out of that if need be. Make sure the agent gets that point loud and clear if you get an initial denial. Remember he or she is not the one making the call on the claim, but they do know who to call to help get shít moving if they think you’re going to drop them if there’s a denial. So be firm but remain cordial in the dealings with the agent.

It took me 3 months, but I eventually got a new roof on an approved claim after an initial denial. The damage I had was fairly obvious, but not overly substantial. I have All State, who as stated above are one of the two most notorious roof claim nazis on the planet. Might not have gone my way without me doing all of the above. Good luck.
Thank you very much....I read every word.

Reactions: Perd Hapley
Aug 23, 2012
Avoid the door to door guys at all costs and find your own roofer or use the one the insurance company recommends. Last door to door guy that came to my house wanted me to sign paperwork agreeing to sue my insurance company before they even filed the claim. Told him to kick rocks.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
By the way, every year you need to shop around. Use an independent agent. I have use SAFECO for several years now. Two roof replacements, did not cost me a dime. They have also been the lowest in premium costs, year after year. I don’t know why anyone would go with St Farm, Allstate, Gico, AAA, or anybody else. My daughter had a bad experience with State Farm that only paid part of her medical bills and car repair. Do not be stuck with the same company year after year. Shop around when your next premium is due. Then, you can thank me for it.
I second this. My premiums have jumped 30-40% each of the last several years. Each time, I have my agent shop around and each time we've been able to find a better deal to keep premiums roughly the same or much closer.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Be present and vocal when the adjuster shows up. They get bonuses for under evaluation of damages.

I have been a staff adjuster and independent adjuster for 30+ years. I have never gotten a bonus for anything.

Independent adjusters get paid on fee schedule based on the amount of the damage estimate. The higher their estimate the more they get paid.

Fee looks something like this
Damage $0-2500 Adjuster Pay XXXX
$2501-5000 Adjuster Pay XXXX
$5001-7500
$7501-10000 and continues on up to 100,000 or higher when it becomes an hourly rate.

If an adjusters estimate is around $7400. It wouldn't be unusual for the adjuster to find $101 in more damage to get to the next pay level ;)

Check your roof, window screens, window trim, gutters, A/C condensing unit for hail damage.

Do not use any roofer the cold calls you.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Blake Baur (601-397-4950) is the guy at Complete Exteriors I worked with. He went up on the roof with the insurance adjuster and they worked everything out between them. Their contract called for me to pay an advance, but they never asked for it and just billed me after the insurance company paid.
Check your PM

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had hail damage from the straight line wind storm here in Gluckstadt a few years back. DO NOT sign with the door to door guys. Call your insurance co. and file a claim. Call several licensed, certified roofing contractors and get multiple estimates - I got 5. Be there when insurance co guy inspects and ask questions and point out damage. I even got a few extra bucks for damage to my fence. Buy some beer or go to the dispensary to deal with the frustration you will inevitably have. Even though I have State Farm it ultimately came out ok, the quote I accepted was a little under what I got paid so I made a few bucks. I went with Tri-County Restoration. They are Bulldog fans and gave me a discount and did great work, no problems.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have been a staff adjuster and independent adjuster for 30+ years. I have never gotten a bonus for anything.

Independent adjusters get paid on fee schedule based on the amount of the damage estimate. The higher their estimate the more they get paid.

Fee looks something like this
Damage $0-2500 Adjuster Pay XXXX
$2501-5000 Adjuster Pay XXXX
$5001-7500
$7501-10000 and continues on up to 100,000 or higher when it becomes an hourly rate.

If an adjusters estimate is around $7400. It wouldn't be unusual for the adjuster to find $101 in more damage to get to the next pay level ;)

Check your roof, window screens, window trim, gutters, A/C condensing unit for hail damage.

Do not use any roofer the cold calls you.
That explains it. Two years ago I got $7k more than what it cost to replace the roof. Got paid for gutters and other stuff. I think the adjuster was out of Texas.

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Never trust door knockers. Do your research, and use a reputable local company with a long tenure of quality work.

The door knockers say they're local, but they're nearly all based out of state. They're locusts. They come feed and then they disappear.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login