OT: Shrubs/bushes damaged for cold weather

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I have four tree like shrubs in front of my house. Im not sure what they are they produce a white bloom like a sweet olive. They might be something else but they similar. The are about 9'-10' with a woody trunk. They usually lose some leaves in the winter but not all of them. However, after the really cold weather at Christmas they dropped every leaf. I wasn't sure if they were alive then they all started leafing out in February. Then the last freeze we had in March all of the new leaves turned brown. They are have started putting out a few leaves over the last couple of weeks but they are 99% still brown. Is there anything I can do to help them recover.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I live in Jxn and same issue. I'm going to trim as much dead stuff out as possible hoping to stimulate new growth. I'm a redneck though, not a landscaper or horticulturist, so according on my recommendation(s).

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Some of my stuff is dead. Others are dormant. My method for determining dead vs dormant is to bend a small stem. If it breaks clean it’s probably dead. If it is supple and bendy it probably just needs more time.

Lost a 10 foot holly tree, some mature lorapetalum and a couple smaller shrubs. The azaleas have finally come around with new growth thank goodness.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If I trimmed everything that looks dead there wouldn't be anything left.
The Garden Mama said to skin a little bark off starting at the end of branches and see if there is any green. Keep going until you find green and trim just above that point. I've got a Loquat that died back for the first time. That's what I plan to do with it.

Reactions: NTDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The leaves falling off are a good sign, the plants though w/ dead ones still on them, not so much. Take your thumb nail or a pocket knife and scrape back the bark or twig covering lightly and see if there is green underneath. If so let it ride, if not keep going as someone else posted. My Crap Myrtles (pun intended) got bitten but the new leaves are not pushing the old burned ones off now as of last week. I fertilized about 2 weeks and now the azaleas are putting out new growth like they should have a month or more ago. Hydrangeas are fried above ground but new growth coming back from the base and looking good

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I can't help you with whether it’s dead or dormant but I use an app called Picture This to help identify plants/trees. It will give you suggestions on how to take care of them. It is a subscription involved after a free trial period but it's $20/year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I can't help you with whether it’s dead or dormant but I use an app called Picture This to help identify plants/trees. It will give you suggestions on how to take care of them. It is a subscription involved after a free trial period but it's $20/year.
Can also identify trees/plants/flowers with the google app (for free).

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Sounds like maybe Tea Olive.
Very fragrant white flowers a couple of times a year.
All over Augusta Natl and at Old Waverly GC
I’m thinking the last freeze may have done mine in. The single digit temps in late December were almost enough to do it.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
All ny azaleas were hit pretty hard (the Encore variety were totally killed) along with several evergreens killed. My neighbor has a tall (maybe 75') mature white pine with dead needles the top 1/3 of the tree. I suspect it'll have to be cut down.

Lowest temperature was +2 in December, a high of 11 one day, and many days in the teens. But - overall the winter was much milder than normal. It was just the extremes that affected plants, that were probably affected with warmer winter temps so started to come alive several times.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login