OT: Side by Sides

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My wife wants a side by side for purely utility reasons around the yard. I have started to look at Kawasaki Mules (hard to find right now), CFmoto, Can Am Defender, and Tracker off road. I want to try and keep it under $15,000. It will go into the woods and up and down hills and she wants to have that flatbed in the back with a fair amount of room in it. She does not want a golf cart. So I am looking for any experiences on these or any other options.

This type of side by side just to be clear:

View attachment 24831

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Had a Polaris Ranger, currently have a John Deere Gator. Ranger hands down. The Gator is slow, loud, and rough riding.

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
Ranger. I loved mine. Damn ex took it with her. But never had a problem and it was under water in the creek a lot, mud, and crap.

I’m seen 3 different Can Ams literally on fire. I wouldn’t buy one

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
If you choose a CanAm or Polaris, either are good, get your belts from Hunterworks.com. If you have issues with clutching the owner is the most knowledgeable about them as I have seen and his son Hunter went to State.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you spending that much, I'd spend a little more and go with a 5/6 seater. Honda Pioneers are not belt driven and may be a little more trouble free than the Ranger, but the Ranger may ride a little better, has more aftermarket accessories and a bigger bed.

Mules/Gators are great, but strictly for utility purposes, a Ranger or Pioneer is good for trails, utility, highway, hunting or neighborhood. The Pioneer will get to over 65 mph and I think the Ranger does a similar speed. My Pioneer 1000-5 has about a hundred mile range on a tank, not sure about the Ranger.

Driving SxSs on public roads is not yet legal in the 'Sip, but it is legal in many states and I wouldn't be surprised it it is legal here in next few years. In some rural counties LE doesn't really care are you drive them on public roads, as long as you are operating them safely.

It is hard to test drive them on the lot (with inventories as they are), but find some dudes nearby and talk to them about different brands, they'll likely let you drive it.

Also if you can find one with turn signals and backup lights already installed that makes life easier (i'm retrofitting my Pioneer 1000-5 now).

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
FWIW, I work with guys who use Bobcat SxSides, and like it much better than the JD Gator they retired. Very nice looking machine and we'll built machine from what I could tell. Only problem, make sure you have a dealer close for warranty issues/service when needed. I like their equipment a lot, but Bobcat dealers can be a little spread out.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
I have a 700 Honda Pioneer and love it. It has 4 seats, but 2 fold into the bed when not in use. The bed folds down as well. Since the 4 seats fold into the bed, it is shorter than a 4 seat ranger.

and it’s a Honda. Much more reliable than Polaris. I haven’t had a seconds worth of trouble.

Ernest T

Dec 15, 2020
I had a ranger. Lot of issues. Seems like every 6 months it was in the shop. I’ve purchased a Honda pioneer and so far no issues. I liked the ranger storage area better anchor spots in the bed. The Honda is much quieter. It has a turf mode when working in the yard. I don’t like the extra seats on the Honda. Seems like the roll cage would be in the way when using the bed at times.

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I’ve had a ranger, pioneer 700 and now a can am. I’d go with pioneer or can am. And I use one a ton and very rough on them. Pioneer 700 can be a little weak depending on how much power you need. But sounds like it’ll be plenty for you. Love my can am defender 800. Rangers do have way more after market options though

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Nevermind I guess a new trailer is in the cards because they are all longer than 8 ft.

Anyone ever get a CFMoto? It is cheaper and more loaded with a winch already installed.

Anyone ever use a Yamaha Viking?

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I have a Yamaha Viking. Very dependable and rides ok. However I would not buy another Beas car it is LOUD. You can’t hear the guy next to you. Don’t even think about it it’s that bad

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I have a bobcat, everything on it is a Polaris. Motor even says Polaris. It has an electric bed dump which is really nice and convenient. Wife uses it for the same thing you're looking to use it for. It is extremely heavy and very wide.

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
I picked up a '97 4runner 4wd 5speed a few months ago for $4k. I get the need for a side by side a lot of places but $15k is a chunk of change.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I quit looking last summer when a found a great deal on a Can Am 650 atv. (2017 with 62 miles for $8000).

Before settling on this, I was originally at 12k on prices SXS. I looked for months and everything decent and less than 1500 miles was in the 14-16k range then. I think most are 16-18k now with many above 20 and even higher. Just absolutely crazy what that market is right now.
Good luck with the search.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Nothing rides better than a Polaris but all my buds in construction say Kubota diesels are better for a working utility model. Kubota also has an 850 with a Subaru engine that seems to be a pretty good option for a 2 seater.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
For work, we have a Kawasaki diesel mule. It’s a workhorse and never had any problems. It also won’t go over 30 mph. Perfect for safety for employees too.

For play, it’s a Polaris Ranger. 6 seater. Fast.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Get one that can do everything, Yamaha RMAX2 or 4. It’ll do your utility work, but it’ll also light your pants on fire if you want. It’s a Yamaha, so very dependable. It’s more expensive than what you quoted, but you only get to do this life thing once.

I suck at posting pictures.

Last edited:

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Nothing rides better than a Polaris but all my buds in construction say Kubota diesels are better for a working utility model. Kubota also has an 850 with a Subaru engine that seems to be a pretty good option for a 2 seater.

My grandfather has a Kubota diesel to use on the farm and the first time he told me to drive it, I thought something was wrong with it.

The acceleration on them is awful. It seemed like it took about 3 seconds to take off after I pushed the gas.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
If this is strictly for yard work, pay close attention to the height of the bed. Some of these sport utility models have beds that are very tall.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Nevermind I guess a new trailer is in the cards because they are all longer than 8 ft.

I feel your pain, I had to buy a new trailer too. Also if you are going to park it in your back yard, make sure to measure your gate(s) to ensure it will open wide enough. I had to rework two gates to get the trailer in my back yard.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login