OT: side hustles

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Does anyone on this board have side hustles they do for passive income? I’m trying to find something to dabble in seeing as I’m a single income household with a child. I’ve pondered doing residential security/cameras as that ties in with my day job.

What say ye board?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I start political threads on SPS & DS gives me free chat if it goes 3 pages. Bonuses follow if the regular players bring up certain key words.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I did sports and outdoors retail and consulting using my real job skills. Currently not though

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
Buying many rolls of quarter at bank and going through them to find the ones marked with a W.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/chasing-west-point-quarters

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Got a friend that is repairing hot tubs on the side. He's about to stop his contractor work (currently a licensed plumber) and do it full time. He said it pays just as well and he can do all by himself. Doesn't have to wait on permits and he's never held up by other contractors. It's an easy one man operation with a free flowing work schedule. he said it's all really basic. You replacing pumps, motors, fittings, circuit boards, and jets/vents. All of which are held in with 4 screws. Wait times on electrical components are his only issues, but most people are familiar with the silicone shortage.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My neighbor owns a HVAC company but is making more money with his brother flipping old Blazers and Jimmies and Broncos. He has made over 75 grand since January 1 on just flipping. People are paying stupid money for this stuff.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Does anyone on this board have side hustles they do for passive income? I’m trying to find something to dabble in seeing as I’m a single income household with a child. I’ve pondered doing residential security/cameras as that ties in with my day job.

What say ye board?

Pet sitting/feeding is a racket.

Have a friend who sells commercial dock equipment in Memphis full time. About 5 years ago he started "fixing" garage doors and openers for a home warranty company after work. He said 50% of the time it's off the track and he bumps it back on track. The other half something is actually wrong. With that half the warranty company calls in an actual repair company to replace the part. He makes $30 per visit and never spends more than 10 minutes there. Tries to hit 4-5 after work on the way home.

He's used that money to remodel a kitchen, put in a golf simulator, and buy a really nice boat.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Got a friend that is repairing hot tubs on the side. He's about to stop his contractor work (currently a licensed plumber) and do it full time. He said it pays just as well and he can do all by himself. Doesn't have to wait on permits and he's never held up by other contractors. It's an easy one man operation with a free flowing work schedule. he said it's all really basic. You replacing pumps, motors, fittings, circuit boards, and jets/vents. All of which are held in with 4 screws. Wait times on electrical components are his only issues, but most people are familiar with the silicone shortage.

I assure you, there are not many silicone shortages IN hot tubs in some places (especially in Reunion).

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Also looking for a side hustle(s) for when I retire next year. Thought about becoming a realtor or becoming a hot shot driver, looking for other ideas. We have a couple of rental properties, but they don't take much time to manage. My neighbor is retired and is a part time limo driver, he makes a killing in tips but most of his work is on weekends.

MtPigsmore

Jun 29, 2019
Rentals if your able to fix things yourself. I buy fridges from the crew that delivers new ones for home depot. Fix and flip on Facebook.

Really the best thing you can do is take night classes for a trade. I did that and ended up making well over what I made in accounting as a side hustle now turned full time.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
My list (outside of retirement investments):

1) Some form of real estate;
2) Wouldn't mind getting a CDL and driving a little once kids are grown;
3) Driving for Uber/Lyft/etc.

I currently do none of the above, as I have kids and not much time. I'm always in some form of real estate though, as that's the definition of passive. Currently I've gone the Dave Ramsey way and want to get my house paid off before I get back into the rental market.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dont have a side hustle. I do have a part-time job. I coach HS volleyball and club volleyball. Between that and volunteer time, any remaining free time is for home/family activities.

I get that a side hustle is a trendy term for a second job where you are your boss/you pick your hours and effort, but that really isnt different from what used to be considered a segment of part time jobs. It was just a part time job where you picked your hours.
Not many side hustles that I have seen are actually passive income. Its usually people knitting **** or building ****- it takes materials, time, planning, scheduling, etc.

When I am worthless at my current job and need to find something else, itll be a part time job- maybe a golf course ranger or something like that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

What say ye board?

I would say typically it's really hard to turn a side hustle into passive income (hence the "hustle" part and hence almost all the posts being for non-passive income). You basically have to build a small business that you can then handle in a hands off manner. If you really want passive income immediately, rental properties with a property manager is the only easily accessible thing I'm aware of. Typically not going to make a ton doing that though.

But you can do a hybrid where instead of trying to turn your hustle into a hands off business, you just use the income to invest in managed rental properties. If you have the skills, buying rental property to rehab and then rent out allows you to convert sweat equity into income pretty directly. You create sweat equity in the property, and hopefully it's enough to allow you to do a cash out refinance to buy your next property to rehab. That's a lot of work and takes skill but you basically bust your *** for five or six years and hopefully get five or six good cash flowing properties without having to save up a big down payment each year.

Or you can do the slightly lazier version and just do work for cash and then put that much extra into stocks. It's not tax efficient, but you can buy dividend stocks or reits and they will throw off income from what you invest. Not really a reason to focus on those while you're in the accumulation phase though, except psychologically it's motivating to see the passive income grow (provided how little it is for a good while doesn't discourage you).

If you can put in residential security cameras for cash and it works out to a decently hourly income, that's not a bad side gig.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Somewhat hybrid because there is quite a bit of setup and marketing but if you can get a following or readership/viewership then money can flow in passively.

Become an expert in something maybe even in what you already do or enjoy doing/hobby. Get a YouTube channel produce content provide links for affiliates that will pay you if someone clicks the link and purchases. If you can drive up followers then you can get ad revenue as well.

I've seen guys showing you how to power wash certain objects like fences, driveways and then using products that they have affiliate links for. I've seen guys doing Whiskey or Craft beer related shows with affiliate links for monthly subscriptions which creates recurring rev off one click and assignment. I've seen Personal Finance experts with affiliate links for certain services etc. Concert reviewers with travel and music related affiliate links. It's really only limited to your imagination and where you can get affiliate agreements.

It's definitely not easy but once you get it going the content and links are out there until you take it down and can drive rev years after you create. I've also seen articles on how to do this and it had links to services that help you set it up 😀

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007

What say ye board?

If you can sell, Ive got a part time job opening.

TheBigEDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Not passive income, but I recall reading about a guy who repaired washers, dryers and other appliances for resale. He got most of them for free from people leaving them out to be picked up by the city. Most of the time it was an easy fix (blown fuse, etc.). It eventually turned into a full time job.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Don't know what kind of income you're looking to get but I easily bring in $500-$600 /month doing eBay sales and I could increase that greatly by just adding more time to it (was doing over $1000/month when I had more time). If you do this you kind of need a niche type item in my opinion unless you want a bunch of competition which just drives profit down. I started out doing small engine parts i.e. I'd pass an old lawnmower, weed eater, blower, boat motor, etc sitting on the side of the road and pick it up. I strip the handles off, gas tank, deck, recoil starter, wheels, etc. You need to know about a little about the items you choose to sell and how eBay works. Make some pictures, add the item and wait till it sells. The more items you list the more eBay pushes you toward the top of the list of searches. Whatever items you choose to sell try to be unique, choose something you know about and are interested in and learn as much as you can about them i.e. John Deere items, Harley items, old concert tshirts, (those sell like crazy now for big $$) cast iron cookware, etc etc etc. You won't believe what things like old Levi's bring in from international countries especially Japan. Good luck.........

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had a post retirement part time side gig going for about 2 years but the company went bankrupt. Oh well.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005

What say ye board?

tree trimming / cutting

I know a guy who just started out as a weekend gig. Now he has a bucket truck, bobcat, and trailers.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
tree trimming / cutting

I know a guy who just started out as a weekend gig. Now he has a bucket truck, bobcat, and trailers.

A tree trimming company was in our neighborhood last weekend to trim one yard. The crew leader went door to door as the crew was starting and ended up cutting about 5 more yards that day, mine included.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you already have the equipment, lawn mowing. I used to do it until I got too busy with other things. My thing was rural churches and cemeteries. The big guys don't like cemeteries because of all the trim work. 2-5 little cemeteries makes good money.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My list (outside of retirement investments):

1) Some form of real estate;
2) Wouldn't mind getting a CDL and driving a little once kids are grown;
3) Driving for Uber/Lyft/etc.

I currently do none of the above, as I have kids and not much time. I'm always in some form of real estate though, as that's the definition of passive. Currently I've gone the Dave Ramsey way and want to get my house paid off before I get back into the rental market.

Dave Ramsey has a lot of good concepts, but it's hard to make real estate pay if you're not using leverage. Everybody else bids up the price counting on that leveraged up return, so you have to really find a diamond in the rough/fantastic deal or just accept a low return if you're just going to be paying cash.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
At one time the highest Work Comp category you could be put in was with the tree trimmers. Lots of claims and sky high rates. We probably have some posters that can shed updated light on this

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Become a MAIS ref and do Football, Basket ball and Baseball. Easy fun money. You kid can go with you and watch the game.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
At one time the highest Work Comp category you could be put in was with the tree trimmers. Lots of claims and sky high rates. We probably have some posters that can shed updated light on this

Damn hard and dangerous work with tons of equipment to buy and maintain. I'm sure the insuring/bonding part is high as a cat's back too.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
A man/woman and/or couple could make good money with a dual wheel truck and a flat bed

People need **** and need it right away all the time and pay absurd money for it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
A lot of this depends on the interest rate at which you borrow too.

I have no plans to pay my current house off early bc I’m locked in around 3% but at 6 or 7% I’d be way more likely to pay off early.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Rentals if your able to fix things yourself. I buy fridges from the crew that delivers new ones for home depot. Fix and flip on Facebook.

Really the best thing you can do is take night classes for a trade. I did that and ended up making well over what I made in accounting as a side hustle now turned full time.

I'm curious . . . what do you pay for a used fridge that likely has something wrong with it?

If you don't mind me asking.

MtPigsmore

Jun 29, 2019
I'm curious . . . what do you pay for a used fridge that likely has something wrong with it?

If you don't mind me asking.

$100 for any type, but has to be stainless. The unknown of what's broken is the fun part. Should have clarified I went to trade school for HVAC. A fridge has the exact same cooling parts/concept as your home AC. They are a breeze and cheap to fix once you get the process - hell the refrigerant is legal to purchase by the public. R-134a and the same as your car ac.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Real Estate I would wait until 2023. You might find some good deals then.

Besides real estate I own a distribution company that delivery’s to 11 stores. I have a guy that runs the route for me and a college student that works Sat and Sun. I just handle the books. Food routes are often over looked and they are always looking for good help on the weekends stocking product. Would be something to look into.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login