OT: Sirloin Tip Roast

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Guys, I really need some ideas, opinions, tips or anything on this one. I’ve got several smokers on trailers, 3 smokers/grills on my back porch and an assortment of fryers, a big Blackstone griddle and so forth and so on. My point is, I have lots of experience with cooking everything from whole hogs to jambalaya to all kinds of seafood and meat.

This afternoon I was trying to rearrange my freezers and make room for a “freezer calf” that I’ll need room for in a couple of weeks. My daughter brings out this big piece of meat wrapped in white butcher paper from the slaughterhouse from the last one we had butchered. This is a big package with “sirloin tip roast” stamped on it. This thing is pretty big-it’s 5.5 pounds. I’ve never cooked one of these things-mainly because I’ve not heard good things about them. I hear that they are a really tough piece of meat and hard to get them tender. My buddy suggested that I put the thing on the smoker with a brisket and when the brisket is done-eat the brisket and throw the sirloin tip in the garbage. That might be the best thing.

Do any of you guys have any experience with cooking these things? I would appreciate your sharing any experiences/ideas of what to do with this thing? Thank you in advance.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I have cooked it to make deli like roast beef for sandwiches. Main thing is to only cook to rare medium/rare, slice against the grain, and thin slices. If you have meat slicer even better.

Here is an oven recipe you could use as a reference and cook it on your smoker/grill

https://tipbuzz.com/sirloin-tip-roast/

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Get a large black cast iron skillet and seer it on all sides with enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add salt and pepper and then pour in a couple cups of water. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and could for probably 30 minutes a lbs at 325. Make some homemade mashed potatoes, purple hull peas, and fried squash to go with it. Once the roast is done you can use some of the drippings in the pan to make gravy.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I did a few a couple years ago simply because I bought a slicer and I wanted to make black and blue salads. I did use my smoker. The first one I screwed up and dried it out. I cooked uncovered and it sucked.

The 2nd one I smoked for about 45 minutes, then I wrapped in foil. Got the internal temp to 130F and let it rest for a hour and chilled it in the fridge. It was good.

I used simple roast beef seasonings. EVOO, garlic, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper.

Save all the pan drippings you can. Makes a great awe joo for a french dip.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
2 ways of cooking it. Can’t go wrong with either. Reverse sear it like a steak, or cook it like a brisket.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login