OT: smoked sausage

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Hey SixPackers,
I hate to open myself up to well-deserved mockery, but I have a dumb question (maybe even annoyingly ignorant). I know my way around a grill and a smoker pretty good, and have a decent track record with ribs, chicken, even brisket. But one simple thing that I probably should know and don't: what's the best way to prepare a store-bought smoked sausage? Let's say I have a Country Pleasin' Green Onion: Do I want to grill it? Smoke on low heat? Wrap in foil? Any tips would be appreciated.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Buddy, I’m sure that some will cry blasphemy at a couple things I’m about to say, but I’ll tell you one of the simplest and most delicious ways I’ve found.

1. Start with any sausage you want, even cheap store brand if you want, BUT it has to have high fat content. None of the chicken/turkey crap

2. I cut the links in thirds so smoke can get around the casing and into the meat, and then smoke for 45-60 min at 175. I’m not really trying to really cook anything at this stage after all

3. Slice, put on a pan, drizzle Captain Rodney’s boucan glaze and dust with your fav bbq seasoning. I prefer Commissary, but you can use anything as long as it’s got decent brown sugar content

4. Broil in your oven about 4-5 min until that sugar just starts to caramelize

That’s it, and you can try it a hundred other ways or pair with any mustard/sauce you want, but I’d put this method up against anything else I’ve ever had.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Hey SixPackers,
I hate to open myself up to well-deserved mockery, but I have a dumb question (maybe even annoyingly ignorant). I know my way around a grill and a smoker pretty good, and have a decent track record with ribs, chicken, even brisket. But one simple thing that I probably should know and don't: what's the best way to prepare a store-bought smoked sausage? Let's say I have a Country Pleasin' Green Onion: Do I want to grill it? Smoke on low heat? Wrap in foil? Any tips would be appreciated.

If it is a good smoked sausage it is really hard to 17 it up. My favorite is Country Pleasing Andouille. What I like to do is when I am cooking something that takes a while such as chicken is to put the sausage on indirect heat and let it smoke for the hour or so whatever else is cooking and then right before I take it all in place it over the coals to get that blackened exterior when the skin starts to split.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
If it is a good smoked sausage it is really hard to 17 it up. My favorite is Country Pleasing Andouille. What I like to do is when I am cooking something that takes a while such as chicken is to put the sausage on indirect heat and let it smoke for the hour or so whatever else is cooking and then right before I take it all in place it over the coals to get that blackened exterior when the skin starts to split.

This is what I've always done. And tbh, if it's a good smoked sausage, it's already well smoked and putting it in the oven until crispy to your liking is a great move. I'm not saying it's the best out there but considering it is widely available, Conecuh is tough to beat.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A glaze of honey and black pepper adds a little something to any sausage. I don't think it matters how you cook it. If I'm cooking steaks it's cooked hot and fast. If I'm smoking ribs the sausage is cooked the same way, low and slow.

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
A glaze of honey and black pepper adds a little something to any sausage. I don't think it matters how you cook it. If I'm cooking steaks it's cooked hot and fast. If I'm smoking ribs the sausage is cooked the same way, low and slow.

I do the same. I just put it over to the side and take it off when it looks good.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The only way to screw it up is too burn it, seriously. I typically like to stick w/ MS products but I give the edge to Conecuh Spicy when it comes to smoked sausage followed closely by Country Pleasin Jr's.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The only sausage today's Country Pleasin doesn't stack up well against is their original sausage they use to make in their old shack in Pelahatchie. It was special.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Conecuh and County pleasin are 1A and 1b but if I had to choose I'd chose Conecuh simply for the larger variety.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Sorry for changing your topic but related

which deer processor makes the best smoked sausage. At times I felt that they were all fairly equal and I have been a Vans guy for the most part but occasionally I get some not great sausage from them.

Best pork sausage from a grocery store is Country Pleasin but hands down Wilson’s in Crystal Springs is the best pork sausage.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Country Pleasin cooked anyway is good. That's some good tasting meat.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

which deer processor makes the best smoked sausage. At times I felt that they were all fairly equal and I have been a Vans guy for the most part but occasionally I get some not great sausage from them.

Best pork sausage from a grocery store is Country Pleasin but hands down Wilson’s in Crystal Springs is the best pork sausage.

I know people drive who 3 hours to take their deer to Dwights (South Jxn) for sausage. He's a cantankerous old cuss (don't get sideways with him unless you're ready to check knuckles) and it will take forever, but he does it right. If you don't mind getting someone else's deer back full of hair, Vans is fine.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Cook it low for the shortest time period to get it to 160 (or whatever temp you are going for), else the casing may burst. Oven/Toaster Oven is the easiest, Country Pleasin' is so good you don't need to doctor it or grill/smoke it.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I know people drive who 3 hours to take their deer to Dwights (South Jxn) for sausage. He's a cantankerous old cuss (don't get sideways with him unless you're ready to check knuckles) and it will take forever, but he does it right. If you don't mind getting someone else's deer back full of hair, Vans is fine.

Ive used Dwights, its not any better to me and everyone claims that everyone else gives you someone else's deer

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
225°-250° indirect heat. Rotate them every 15 minutes or so to keep the case from busting on the side facing whatever heat source you have . 1-2 hours should be enough. Not sure about the fight between Conecuh and Country Pleasin, because I go Texas style hot guts with my sausage... All beef or beef/pork mix in a pork casing. Pork only is just a little too fatty for me and I like the extra flavor when you mix in the beef.

I used to make my own when I used my smoker a lot. Need a stuffer, but will probably get back into it this summer. If you ever want to learn about sausage, there's a guy named Bill Dumas that does a class in Austin and he has a few YouTube videos out there. Not much more rewarding than making your own sausage. Cold smoking is an art though.

I have a slab of spare ribs going right now, but all my sausage is frozen. You have me craving it right now. Have some beef and pork hatch green chili sausage from Chapel Hill that we are last weekend and it was glorious.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I appreciate all the info and perspectives (except the anti-Country Pleasin take). Thank-you.
BTW, I only get back to MS about once a year. I bring back home with me about 30 lbs of shrimp and about 12-15 packs of Country Pleasin.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Maybe it’s just me but I like Polk‘s Cajun sausage. (Only Cajun; the other Polk’s are not as good.) I cut them crossways in thirds and then split those in half lengthwise. Then turn ‘em over and cut 3 short slots crossways on the skin side to keep them from curling too much on the grill. I only cook outside on charcoal so, once my coals are ready, I spread ‘em (the coals) out and cook the sausage on hot coals while waiting for the coals to finish lighting all over. Then I’m ready to cook the steaks or other main course meat. While I’m cooking the main course meat, take the cooked sausage pieces and wrap them in a piece of light bread. It adds flavor and keeps the hot sausage (right off the grill) from burning your fingers. It’s a great appetizer before the main course.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I believe you but I'm curious how one can know it for a fact other than watching the processing?

In my case the meat handed over to Van's by me was meticulously washed and 100% had no hair in it. The meat i got back was full of hair and had to be thrown away. Certainly Vans isn't the only place that mixes the meat up, they (at least used to) have a revolving staff of people who work in the processing side. A place where the owner is deeply involved and closely supervising the processing is probably the best bet.

I'm a couple years out of retirement, will start doing my own then. I'm not a big fan of deer sausage, Country Pleasin' is much better and cost less. I grind everything but the tenderloin/back-straps.

Last edited:

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Maybe it’s just me but I like Polk‘s Cajun sausage. (Only Cajun; the other Polk’s are not as good.) I cut them crossways in thirds and then split those in half lengthwise. Then turn ‘em over and cut 3 short slots crossways on the skin side to keep them from curling too much on the grill. I only cook outside on charcoal so, once my coals are ready, I spread ‘em (the coals) out and cook the sausage on hot coals while waiting for the coals to finish lighting all over. Then I’m ready to cook the steaks or other main course meat. While I’m cooking the main course meat, take the cooked sausage pieces and wrap them in a piece of light bread. It adds flavor and keeps the hot sausage (right off the grill) from burning your fingers. It’s a great appetizer before the main course.

Polk's Cajun is very good. My go to for crawfish

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Wilson’s is by far the best smoked sausage I’ve ever had. I am a big fan of country pleasin too but Wilson’s is better

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Country Pleasin is about to cover the entire Southeastern US Grocers. I know a broker who hopefully will soon be representing them. 😎

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018

The Chappell Hill garlic beef sausage is the bomb. When I lived in Texas there was a little place called Nemecek Brothers located in the town of West, Texas a few miles north of Waco on I-35. West is a Czech hamlet that is known for their kolaches and their sausage. I left Texas and moved back to Mississippi over 20 years ago, and I believe that Nemecek’s is no longer in business. The thing I liked about the Nemecek sausage was that it didn’t contain all these spices like I grew up eating in our sausage here in Mississippj-namely sage and coriander. The Czech sausage was made with basically salt, black pepper and garlic-and no pork. I found out from a friend about Chappell Hill about 3 years ago and tried tge garlic sausage from there. I’ve been hooked ever since. Try it-I have yet to find anyone who I’ve served it to who didn’t want to know where I got it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Glad to see you and Babar are at this party, even if late.

Everytime a sausage thread comes up on here I drop Chapel Hill. In fact, I went ahead and threw some hatch green Chile CH one the grill with my Kansas City Twinkies (rib trimming instead of brisket inside the jalapeno.)

You can order CH online and it's a good deal. Like $3-4 per pound. It's the only sausage I buy and they ship 1800 miles to me.

Let's 17ing go...

View attachment 24490

View attachment 24491

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Conecuh is the best! You can microwave it and it is as good as on the grill.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
There is certainly bad smoked case sausage out there, but as long as it's made by a legit producer with reasonable quality meat and enough fat & seasoning, it's likely pretty damn good.

I actually like to get a quick sear on the casing while the sausage is still cold from the fridge then let it slow roast away from the heat source until the case is nicely crisp but not exploded all over.

My go to's are Conecuh and Country Pleasing, but I've had frickin Wal Mart Great Value Hickory Smoked sausage that was delicious.

Here's a vote for Buck Shop in Canton. Not completely consistent, but I've had some damn fine venison sausage from there. I personally like to make my own and I fall on the side of making breakfast sausage in bulk, no casing. Just more versatile to me and easier when dealing with a lot of grind pile deer meat.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2012
Joe Lee, I've always like you and even more so today when I see your deep freeze of CH sausage and a Montucky Cold Snack sitting next to your grill. Fine work my man.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Montucky is my new go to beer. Cheaper than Miller Lite and better flavor. I pick up 12 packs for $10.49 down the street.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Preliminary apologies to the Sixpack grillmasters, but I routinely just line a pan with foil and put thawed smoke sausage in the oven on 250 deg F for 30 minutes. Smoked sausage by definition is already smoked so you aren't really adding much to the flavor by using a smoker. You are really just heating the sausage for consumption and maybe searing the skin a bit. I use my grill to heat it sometimes because I like to char the outside a little sometimes, but heating it in the oven seems to keep the moisture in and not dry out as much as grilling might. I heat my smoked venison sausage this way frequently, and its an easy way to prepare a little snack for socials. Either way, it is hard to mess up sausage.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login