OT: Smokers

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I've been wanting a smoker to add to my outdoor cooking repertoire for a while now. I've been doing all my smoking using offset heat on my charcoal grill, but I get tired of the struggle of regulating temperature on it. I want something I can set the temp on it and it does its thing. For those with smokers, do you prefer electric, charcoal, or pellet? Not too concerned about brand right now. Just trying to narrow down type and then I'll look at what brand fits the budget.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
CharGriller Akorn. Cooks exactly like a green egg for 1/3 of the cost. Just keep it out of weather, or cover it well.

Set it and forget it.

Lump charcoal.

Reactions: msstatelp1
Jun 9, 2015
I’ve got a pit boss Lexington pellet smoker. It’s the entry level model. I know that hardcore pitmasters will probably say that a pellet smoker is cheating, and I partially agree. It’s just so easy push a button and turn a dial and let it do the rest.

FishinDawg

Aug 22, 2012
CharGriller Akorn. Cooks exactly like a green egg for 1/3 of the cost. Just keep it out of weather, or cover it well.

Set it and forget it.

Lump charcoal.
This is the correct answer. I've had one for 4 years now and love it. I also have a Pit Boss Pro Series and it never gets used after buying the Akorn.

Reactions: msstatelp1

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
I've been wanting a smoker to add to my outdoor cooking repertoire for a while now. I've been doing all my smoking using offset heat on my charcoal grill, but I get tired of the struggle of regulating temperature on it. I want something I can set the temp on it and it does its thing. For those with smokers, do you prefer electric, charcoal, or pellet? Not too concerned about brand right now. Just trying to narrow down type and then I'll look at what brand fits the budget.
DAMB. THOT THIS WOULD BE A CIGARETTES THREAD

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
dennis hopper goodbye GIF

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
ReqTec is the best bang for your buck. The newer ones get hot enough to sear steaks on (700 degrees).

I went from a cheapo Pitboss to a Traeger to a Reqtec. Wish I would have gone straight to it. They are made a lot better than the brands you would find at retail stores.

And the best customer service around.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have an electric, no problem maintaining temps at all after I used it a few times and marked the settings. I like it better than a pellet because of, well, I don't have to use pellets. I don't think you get nearly as good a flavor from pellets as you do from chips and small chunks of hardwood. I lay a bed of chips down in the wood pan and then a chunk of wood over that and walk away until the temp alarm tells me its done. It's got a water pan in it too that helps keep the meat moist. If I had ever doubted the water pan contributes, I proved to myself it did last year. I used straight white wine in the water pan and that turkey breast tasted like I was drinking straight Chardonnay the wine taste was so strong.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
I have an electric one, but I'm about to switch to a pellet. I have friends who have them and they give more consistent smoke than electric and produce better flavor. Electric to me was a good, easy introduction to smoking but it's a lot like throwing small pieces of wood in your oven and having to do it over and over. Pellet seems to be a good in between of electric and off-set smokers.

Not to hijack, but I've been looking at Z-grills. Apparently they used to make parts for all the high dollar smokers and just decided to start making their own at cheaper prices. Anyone have one or tried one?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
This is the correct answer. I've had one for 4 years now and love it. I also have a Pit Boss Pro Series and it never gets used after buying the Akorn.
Man I understand in some ways the pellet crowd as far as convenience. But I have some counterpoints to them-

1. If you practice and learn your kamado, it’s almost as easy
2. I’ve had some good pellet smoked meals, but real wood flavor is champ
3. The fact you need a power outlet is a negative for me
4. Charcoal fuel is cheap and easily available
5. My dad has a pellet smoker and has to re-fill the hopper every couple hours depending on temp. I’ve cooked on my Akorn for 16 hrs and never had to add fuel.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If you want set and forget, pellet is your huckleberry.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I use an offset side box and a pellet smoker. Depending on what I'm cooking. If it's shoulders or something I really want to put the smoke on, it's the stick burner hands down. If I'm doing something like wings, chicken breast or fish then I use the traeger. Chicken is always good and juicy on the easy-bake pellets grills

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Pit boss pellet
Masterbuilt electric
Offset big barrel smoker wood stick burner

would like to get a Yoder

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
As much as people make fun of them, a Big Green Egg is probably the most versatile grill/smoker on the market. You want a pizza oven, it’s a pizza oven. Want to smoke at 225, it’s a smoker. Want to cook a steak at 700* , it’ll do it. I’ve baked bread on mine. I’ve wok’d on mine. There is a learning curve, there’s no digital temperature readout but it’s pretty easy to cook on. It’s also a lifetime grill. My medium is 25 years old and spent everyday out in the elements. It’s never been covered. That being said, the Kamado Joe is probably a better bang for your buck. Since it is a lifetime purchase, buy your dealer who will be there when you need them. Just because a big box store has it for $50 less isn’t going to save you money in the long run.

weblow

Mar 3, 2008
I have had too many

BGE
Yoder 640
Pit Boss
Electric
Offset

For ease of use it is impossible to beat the electric. Food is ok but I never could get comfortable with feeling like I was just baking everything.
Yoder 640 and Pitboss are also super easy. Set it and forget about it. Food is consistent but not near enough smoke flavor. (Don’t care what any pellet guy tells you….you need smoke tubes to get anywhere close to wood). Yoder is much more heavy duty but Pitboss is perfectly fine.
BGE can do it all but is the master of none. Yes you can learn how to adjust and smoke in it. Great grill……but there are better and easier smokers out there.
Offset is the toughest to control but by far has the best flavor because it is real wood.

I still have all the above and use the Yoder 19 out of 20 times I pull out a grill.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Man I understand in some ways the pellet crowd as far as convenience. But I have some counterpoints to them-

1. If you practice and learn your kamado, it’s almost as easy
2. I’ve had some good pellet smoked meals, but real wood flavor is champ
3. The fact you need a power outlet is a negative for me
4. Charcoal fuel is cheap and easily available
5. My dad has a pellet smoker and has to re-fill the hopper every couple hours depending on temp. I’ve cooked on my Akorn for 16 hrs and never had to add fuel.
1. Not true. I had a BGE and you'd have to tend it every couple hours. I can put a brisket on my reqtec on at 8pm and don't have to worry about it until the morning when I'm ready to fool with it.
2. 100% agree. You get a better smoke and bark with a stick burner.
3. Meh. I have an extension cord that I keep next to mine. But I could see that being an issue for some.
4. Depends on the pellets and charcoal. You can buy pellets just about anywhere that sells coal.
5. Mine holds 40 lbs. Depending on the temps and pellets, I can get 20-25 hours out of a full hopper. Nothing really competes with that. Not charcoal or wood.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
ReqTec is the best bang for your buck. The newer ones get hot enough to sear steaks on (700 degrees).

I went from a cheapo Pitboss to a Traeger to a Reqtec. Wish I would have gone straight to it. They are made a lot better than the brands you would find at retail stores.

Yup what he said.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
1. Not true. I had a BGE and you'd have to tend it every couple hours. I can put a brisket on my reqtec on at 8pm and don't have to worry about it until the morning when I'm ready to fool with it.
2. 100% agree. You get a better smoke and bark with a stick burner.
3. Meh. I have an extension cord that I keep next to mine. But I could see that being an issue for some.
4. Depends on the pellets and charcoal. You can buy pellets just about anywhere that sells coal.
5. Mine holds 40 lbs. Depending on the temps and pellets, I can get 20-25 hours out of a full hopper. Nothing really competes with that. Not charcoal or wood.
As I stated in a previous post, it’s a learning curve. I’ve cooked 21 hours on an egg before and never opened the lid You add a temperature controller to a Kamado grill and it’s as easy as an easy bake pellet grill. I spent 30 years in the processed wood industry and for the past 15 years a large majority of our waste went to a pellet manufacturer. I’m not eating food cooked over the waste that we shipped to them. I realize that I don’t know what’s in all those black lumps of lump charcoal but what I don’t know, won’t hurt me. I know what’s in those pellets.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
As I stated in a previous post, it’s a learning curve. I’ve cooked 21 hours on an egg before and never opened the lid You add a temperature controller to a Kamado grill and it’s as easy as an easy bake pellet grill. I spent 30 years in the processed wood industry and for the past 15 years a large majority of our waste went to a pellet manufacturer. I’m not eating food cooked over the waste that we shipped to them. I realize that I don’t know what’s in all those black lumps of lump charcoal but what I don’t know, won’t hurt me. I know what’s in those pellets.
Yeah. The binders in the pellets scare me. But hey, you gotta die of something.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
I've got a BGE and a Green Mountain Grill pellet smoker. I use the GMG for just about everything and it's half the cost as a Traeger, plus their customer service is fantastic since it has to go through a dealer. They've sent me replacement parts for free, even for cosmetic reasons. Plus for $18, I can get a 40# bag of pellets from Academy. BGE is for steaks because they get insanely hot.

For those trying to get more smoke on a pellet grill, I suggest a cold smoke tube. Fill it with pellets, light it with a propane torch, and let it add the smoke.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yeah. The binders in the pellets scare me. But hey, you gotta die of something.
There is actually no binders in the pellet manufacturing process, it’s all heat, pressure, and the proper wood moisture. It’s that Chinese glue that’s holds that Chinese plywood together that was going up our dust collection system and into the dust trailers that concerns me. It’s all that cottonwood sawdust that we shipped them that concerned me. Have you ever smelled cottonwood sawn? It smells just like cat piss.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
There is actually no binders in the pellet manufacturing process, it’s all heat, pressure, and the proper wood moisture. It’s that Chinese glue that’s holds that Chinese plywood together that was going up our dust collection system and into the dust trailers that concerns me. It’s all that cottonwood sawdust that we shipped them that concerned me. Have you ever smelled cottonwood sawn? It smells just like cat piss.
That makes me feel better.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You want a pellet grill HBP.

I went through the same exercise last spring looking to upgrade my smoker game from my Kamado Joe. I went with an offset stickburner because I had alot of experience on one and wanted to be able to make the authentic Texas style bbq I so dearly miss. When you do it right, it really does make the best BBQ of all the options. That said, it's very punitive in both the time commitment and forgiveness, but I am a sadomasochist so I don't mind a little pain with my pleasure. I have had a lot of really good BBQ off a pellet grill too.

When I was looking at pellet grills I boiled it down to Yoder and LoneStarGrillz because I wanted thick steel construction to help hold heat better.

rowdy53103

Aug 16, 2017

This

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Used an offset stick burner for a number of years and also a propane smoker. Both did a good job, but required me to babysit. Didn't mind that for where I was in life and cost etc. At my age now I want to smoke some meat and not have to deal with checking temp and checking fuel. Looked at lots of options and decided to go with a pellet grill because it is just simple. I know folks say you can't get good smoke and it's cheating for smoking, but for me at this time in life I want simple. I have a Camp Chef Woodwind and I splurged for the sidekick. I looked at RecTeq, GMG and even the Masterbuilt & CharGriller gravity fed charcoal machines. I like the idea of MB and CG charcoal idea, but read too many issues and all the modifications folks were making so ruled them out. The firepot cleanout and customer service on the Camp Chef sold me. I had an issue shortly after I got mine and it was user error, but they sent me a bag of pellets overnight just because. Everything I've cooked has been great and the grill has worked perfectly. Set it and forget it and I watch the temps from my phone as I cook inside or sit in my recliner watching the game.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I went through two Masterbuilt electric smokers when I was getting started. As far as ease of use, it's almost impossible to top them. Very well built, very easy to use, and deliver consistent results.

I switched to a Masterbuilt Gravity Series a little over a year ago and LOVE it. I can feed it lump charcoal or wood chunks and it maintains consistent temps. The temperature range is 225 - 700 degF so I can smoke low & slow or sear a steak. It's as easy to use as a pellet smoker, but I don't have to mess with pellets. I highly recommend giving it a look.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Depends on what you want. If you want inexpensive and easy set up, then electric. I got mine for $40 on FB marketplace.

If you something to work at and learn, then pellet.

Usually meat only takes on smoke flavor in the first couple of hours.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
There are so many choices out there these days. I’m an old school type and pretty set in my ways, otherwise I would probably buy a Reqtec (sp?) for the pure convenience of it. My Dad had a Big Green Egg and he raved about it-I used it and couldn’t disagree with him. I actually bought a Kamado Joe because at the time they made a “Big Joe” that was larger than the largest BGE at the time I bought it. I’ve had it for over 10 years and love it. There’s a learning curve, but once you figure out how to set the vents it’s very easy. I can smoke up to 24 hours and never have problems maintaining the temperature. I just soak my hickory/pecan/apple or whatever wood I’m using for smoke and once I hit 225 degrees or 230 or whatever temp I want the Kamado does the rest. It’s also the best pizza oven I’ve ever seen. You can grill a fine steak on it, or you can smoke as good a brisket as anyone on it. I just love charcoal, which is probably why I love it so much. I have to admit that these pellet grills are easy and convenient for sure. Whatever you buy, just take the time to figure out how to use it to suit what you’re wanting to do with it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
There are so many choices out there these days. I’m an old school type and pretty set in my ways, otherwise I would probably buy a Reqtec (sp?) for the pure convenience of it. My Dad had a Big Green Egg and he raved about it-I used it and couldn’t disagree with him. I actually bought a Kamado Joe because at the time they made a “Big Joe” that was larger than the largest BGE at the time I bought it. I’ve had it for over 10 years and love it. There’s a learning curve, but once you figure out how to set the vents it’s very easy. I can smoke up to 24 hours and never have problems maintaining the temperature. I just soak my hickory/pecan/apple or whatever wood I’m using for smoke and once I hit 225 degrees or 230 or whatever temp I want the Kamado does the rest. It’s also the best pizza oven I’ve ever seen. You can grill a fine steak on it, or you can smoke as good a brisket as anyone on it. I just love charcoal, which is probably why I love it so much. I have to admit that these pellet grills are easy and convenient for sure. Whatever you buy, just take the time to figure out how to use it to suit what you’re wanting to do with it.
I'm mainly wanting it for ribs, Boston butts and shoulders for pulled pork, and I have a couple of briskets from when I had a cow processed last December. I have a charcoal grill for burgers, steaks, etc and a Blackstone for all my griddle needs. Sometimes I just get tired of using a grill to try and smoke ribs and roasts. I'll get the temp to around 225 but when it starts to drop and I add more charcoal then my temp shoots up to 350 and it's just a yo-yo. I'm good enough to do a butt and baby backs in it and they come out really good, but I want something I can fire up around midnight and have it ready for lunch to eat during an 11:00am kick and not have to be up babysitting it all night. Did two butts for a tailgate at Mjoelners tent last year and I was literally up all night having to check temp and add charcoal.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 24”, running kingsford blue with wood chunks here and there. Overall I’ve been pleased with it for the year I’ve had it. It is about as close to set it and forget as you can get for not having any control modules. It’s probably not the most convenient thing on the market, but it is very consistent.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Had my same Brinkman Smoker since '96. Charcoal and soaked wood chips for me. Old fashioned but I kick A$$ on it.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I’ve had a BGE for 9 years and just don’t see how you can get an easier grill/smoker than a komoda style grill. Lump charcoal is cheap and last a long time. I often get the temp set and will walk away all day smoking come back home from the kids events and it’s still at the set temp. For steaks and back straps crank it up to 700, a couple minutes each side your good to go.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

How's the ReqTec hold up to Dale's?

Reactions: dawgstudent
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login