OT: Smoking with mesquite

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I fired up the smoker and used mesquite for the first time, and I thought it kinda sucked. Anybody really like it and stand by it? I know it's more of a Texas thing, but it really didn't impart much flavor on the brisket I did. I used a decent amount, maybe 4-5 chunks. Maybe it needed more? In any event, I'm reverting back to my tried and true hickory/pecan.

Also upped my cook temp on the brisket, I think @PooPopsBaldHead or somebody else here recommended it? I'm never going back. I was done in 6.5 hours and the brisket was moist, butter tender with a decent bark (I did a foil wrap so sacrificed a little aesthetics there), nice smoke ring. It probably wouldn't win presentation awards at a cook-off, but as far as something you're proud to serve your guests and you don't have to spend 15 hours on? Crank that heat up on the brisket.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
First used it around 1990 or so for about a year after a guy gave me a bunch of it. Haven't used it since, just didn't like the taste much, or especially the smell while its cooking

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I fired up the smoker and used mesquite for the first time, and I thought it kinda sucked. Anybody really like it and stand by it? I know it's more of a Texas thing, but it really didn't impart much flavor on the brisket I did. I used a decent amount, maybe 4-5 chunks. Maybe it needed more? In any event, I'm reverting back to my tried and true hickory/pecan.

Also upped my cook temp on the brisket, I think @PooPopsBaldHead or somebody else here recommended it? I'm never going back. I was done in 6.5 hours and the brisket was moist, butter tender with a decent bark (I did a foil wrap so sacrificed a little aesthetics there), nice smoke ring. It probably wouldn't win presentation awards at a cook-off, but as far as something you're proud to serve your guests and you don't have to spend 15 hours on? Crank that heat up on the brisket.
What temp were you rolling with? I’ve only done the low and incredibly slow method. And when did you foil?

Reactions: dorndawg

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Muhskeet is too scrong for a long smoke. High temp grill only.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020

Yeah one and done with it here. Way too easy to over smoke or make creosote.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I like mesquite for grilling but not for smoking. I do a mixture of hickory and cherry for most things I smoke but nothing outdoes pecan, especially on pork.
Cannot emphasize this enough. Do NOT use mesquite for long smoke sessions. Sure, it works technically, but it tends to more often than not leave a bitter, acrid taste on the meat. Now, grilling burgers, chicken or steak on mesquite? That works quite nicely. But long smokes just with mesquite will never beat oak, hickory, pecan, cherry, or apple woods.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I like mesquite for grilling but not for smoking. I do a mixture of hickory and cherry for most things I smoke but nothing outdoes pecan, especially on pork.
Apple on pork is my preference, Pecan is a close second.

Reactions: biodawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What temp were you rolling with? I’ve only done the low and incredibly slow method. And when did you foil?
My Thermapro said 300-325 BUT I use a Weber Kettle with a smoke n sear insert, and I kept the water holder fairly full. So with a full packer brisket, there isn't much room to place the probe for the smoker temp. Point being, I suspect it was reading a little low. I had the bottom vents all the way open and usually had the top vent 1/2 way open.

Foiled when the meat probe hit 170, was looking and feeling pretty good. In the past I used butcher paper bc that's what the cool kids do. Maybe I didn't wrap it tight enough or maybe it just doesn't work as well on the Weber, but my brisket was never as moist as I wanted. The foil did me right.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Some scientists did a deep dive on wood smoke and the flavor had more to do with geography than species of tree. An oak from North Ms taste more similar to a hickory from North Ms than it tastes like the same species of oak say from Texas. His hypothesis was that the minerals and nutrients in the soil gave the smoke its unique flavor profile rather than the species of tree. I don’t know how much I believe this because I can tell the difference in a rib cooked over hickory vs a rib cooked over oak.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
My Thermapro said 300-325 BUT I use a Weber Kettle with a smoke n sear insert, and I kept the water holder fairly full. So with a full packer brisket, there isn't much room to place the probe for the smoker temp. Point being, I suspect it was reading a little low. I had the bottom vents all the way open and usually had the top vent 1/2 way open.

Foiled when the meat probe hit 170, was looking and feeling pretty good. In the past I used butcher paper bc that's what the cool kids do. Maybe I didn't wrap it tight enough or maybe it just doesn't work as well on the Weber, but my brisket was never as moist as I wanted. The foil did me right.
At what temp did you pull it off?

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
First off, damn Bradford pears. If you have them, keep a chainsaw handy.

Second, after every storm, cut the branches for smoke on chicken and pork. Very similar to applewood.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Mesquite tastes like oak and miracle grow.

275° on brisket and pork ribs and 325° for beef ribs and pork butt will get you where you want to be every time.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You’ve inspired me. I’m about to cook one this afternoon/tonight so I can be there hero at work tomorrow.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That's a little high. IMO there is a big difference between 201 and 205. 205 will get you pot roast.

On critical part is at the very end of the cook. Keeping the brisket in the target range (200) for 30-60 mins without going over. When I wrap, I turn my grill down to 200. I don't want to go over that. Yes, it adds more cooking time, but I'm assured I don't get a pot roast brisket. I essentially try to "glide" into my final temp. I don't want to rush into it.

Lastly, I've done the mega long rests. I don't see a big difference in the product. I will say a 2 hr rest is sufficient. The 12-hour rests are overkill.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A few years ago I was experimenting with smoking woods really trying to find something unique for the bbq competitions. I have two hickory trees in the yard and by early fall they are raining hickory nut husks. I have rake the before I mow to keep them from becoming projectiles and if you burn them they just sit and smolder. That’s when the lightbulb went off, I wonder what they would taste like smoking meat. I found out. One or two might be alright but a double handful was so strong and bitter I had to throw the ribs away.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Some scientists did a deep dive on wood smoke and the flavor had more to do with geography than species of tree. An oak from North Ms taste more similar to a hickory from North Ms than it tastes like the same species of oak say from Texas. His hypothesis was that the minerals and nutrients in the soil gave the smoke its unique flavor profile rather than the species of tree. I don’t know how much I believe this because I can tell the difference in a rib cooked over hickory vs a rib cooked over oak.
I used to only use local hickory (Pine Belt area). It's as good as it gets. Even planted some trees specifically for it. So might be something there. Store bought hickory wasn't nearly as good, but that stuff is drier than granny poon.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Just use pecan, hickory, apple or a combination of all 3 and you can never go wrong with smoke flavoring.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
First off, damn Bradford pears. If you have them, keep a chainsaw handy.

Second, after every storm, cut the branches for smoke on chicken and pork. Very similar to applewood.
Really?
Bradford Pear wood for smoking ?
Never heard of that before.
(Sarcastics are off)

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012
A whole thread dedicated to the different types of wood to use for smoking various meats and not one mention of sweet gum. I’m disappointed in y’all.

was21

May 29, 2007

Think it's actually cow chips

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Sometimes I think about breaking out that old wood chemistry and wood anatomy coursework from State when we start talking about smoking woods, then I realize nobody gives a 17. We just like what we like... But I'll do it anyway.

The smoke flavor on meat comes from 3 main sources. The amount of lignin in the wood, how long you smoke it, and how clean the fire is... The more lignin in the wood, the more chemicals hit the your meat. The longer you smoke it, the more chemicals hit your meat. The dirtier the fire, the more chemicals hit your meat. If your a bad boy, your wife might hit your meat... oops, I digress.

Fruitwoods like apple and pear are usually less dense woods from small trees and much of it (apple especially) comes from the arid parts of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. This makes it much easier to season. As far as lignin content, its right in there with most oaks, pecans, and other smoking woods in the 20-30% range. Mesquite is the outlier at over 60%. Cooking on that is basically like cooking on plastic or something.

The real reason we get lighter smoke on fruitwoods is they are usually less dense and much drier making for cleaner fires. This same effect is why you can't get near as much smoke flavor from any pellet as you can and old chunk of firewood from the side of the house. I also theorize that we just know we are supposed to use fruitwoods on stuff like chicken, fish, and pork chops that taste better with light smoke. Not a lot of southerners paying for apple wood to run a 12 hour brisket cook. When I sold hardwood lumber back in the day, I cooked the shÏt out of chicken and pork chops on my smoker right over southern red oak... It was kiln dried scraps I picked up from one of my customers and it burned light and clean, unlike a chunk of oak firewood that would smoke it all up.

Anyhow, not that it really maters, but unless you are pull an @dorndawg and cooking on that petrochemical of a tree mesquite, it's really more about the fire/amount of smoke than the wood itself. With that said, you get much cleaner smoke and fires off the lighter, drier fruitwoods.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Boom! Crushed it. Tried to time it to come off the smoker at 6:30. Hit 203 at 6:40. That’s pretty freaking awesome in my book. Wrapped and let it rest in a cooler for about a hour. Maybe a touch dry, but I wouldn’t have sent it back at a Texas restaurant. It was a pretty lean flat, that’s all Sams had this morning. I think more fat would’ve helped, but I’m not an expert. Beautiful smoke ring. Charcoal gravity fed smoker with mostly peach and a few mesquite chunks. May not win a contest, but I’d eat that everyday.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Boom! Crushed it. Tried to time it to come off the smoker at 6:30. Hit 203 at 6:40. That’s pretty freaking awesome in my book. Wrapped and let it rest in a cooler for about a hour. Maybe a touch dry, but I wouldn’t have sent it back at a Texas restaurant. It was a pretty lean flat, that’s all Sams had this morning. I think more fat would’ve helped, but I’m not an expert. Beautiful smoke ring. Charcoal gravity fed smoker with mostly peach and a few mesquite chunks. May not win a contest, but I’d eat that everyday.
Show pics or it didn't happen... And let's get a peak at Ellie Mae's cans while you are at it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I’m with you. Whenever I use butcher paper the flat was a little on the dry side.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I wish I had this thread 10 years ago. I only used mesquite for years and thought it was good. Very smoky but I thought it was ok. I did both ribs and Thanksgiving turkeys this way.
Then I discovered hickory and realized how much better that is. And yes , apple for pork shoulders...
I still do a small amount of mesquite for brisket, but use 70% hickory. But only for brisket. Live and learn....
Good info, yall.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login