OT: Solar panels on house

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
Anyone talked to any of the solar energy companies or actually installed solar panels to your house?
Worth it?
What are the pros and cons?

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
Anyone talked to any of the solar energy companies or actually installed solar panels to your house?
Worth it?
Pretty easy process. If you send your address and a history of your electric bills they will use Google Earth images to determine the size and orientation of your roof and the amount of shade you get. Those factors will determine whether and teh extent to which solar makes sense for you. From there you will get a bid. Most companies offer a 20 year guaranty of power production. They will give you a comparison of what you pay now compared to what you will pay over the next 20 years. There will be some assumptions in the 20 year cost projection, but essentially the pitch is at some point you wil have your money back and thereafter you will be getting free power.

Had mine for a couple of years now and generate over 80% of my home's power. In some months I produce more than I use, and Entergy buys it back from me (but not at the sam eprice i buy from Entergy). Looked into buying a battery pack (Tesla Powerwall for example) but those are just too expensive for what you get. In a few years more cars will have the bidirectional charging the Ford Lightning offers and people will be using their cars and trucks to power their homes during outages (ice storms hurricanes you name it) I get a monthly report showing how much energy I used and how much my house generated. No maintenance to speak of and don't expect any. Glad I did it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pretty easy process. If you send your address and a history of your electric bills they will use Google Earth images to determine the size and orientation of your roof and the amount of shade you get. Those factors will determine whether and teh extent to which solar makes sense for you. From there you will get a bid. Most companies offer a 20 year guaranty of power production. They will give you a comparison of what you pay now compared to what you will pay over the next 20 years. There will be some assumptions in the 20 year cost projection, but essentially the pitch is at some point you wil have your money back and thereafter you will be getting free power.

Had mine for a couple of years now and generate over 80% of my home's power. In some months I produce more than I use, and Entergy buys it back from me (but not at the sam eprice i buy from Entergy). Looked into buying a battery pack (Tesla Powerwall for example) but those are just too expensive for what you get. In a few years more cars will have the bidirectional charging the Ford Lightning offers and people will be using their cars and trucks to power their homes during outages (ice storms hurricanes you name it) I get a monthly report showing how much energy I used and how much my house generated. No maintenance to speak of and don't expect any. Glad I did it.
A few questions if you don't mind:
About how much was your electric bills before and after the panels?
How much was the up-front cost? What's the payback period?
How do they look?

I'm interested, but my electric bill is so low as it is, I doubt the payback period would be worth it. In any case, I think it wouldn't make sense to do it until it's time to replace the roof anyway.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

What do you do when you need a new roof?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Worth it?
Talked to the company in Eupora. They seemed knowledgeable. I havne't pulled the trigger because I wanted it for power back up, and the battery systems would push the total cost up to around 90k for my house. The solar panels themselves would pay off in around 12 years, not to mention, they actually keep solar heat gain off your roof.... harder to calculate the savings there. Insulation is cheaper.

If you have to have a new roof, they will have to be removed and reinstalled, that is unless you actually put pipes to your roof deck and flash them like any other pipe penetration. The rack in that case could stay installed and roof around them, but the panels would have to come off.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Slightly off topic, I haven't done a house but I did do a small barn on my place where I park my riding mower, keep hand and power tools, store coolers, tailgate stuff etc. Bought a couple used panels off Craigslist in Memphis and had a friend pick them up. Bought a new charge controller, inverter and couple deep cycle batteries and use it to run the lights in my barn, charge my power tool batteries there, some outdoor landscape lights and a small water pump I have to pump rain barrel water to my garden area. I don't think I'd ever do the whole house but this works really good for what I use it for and I'm only in to it for maybe $500 and it costs me nothing every month. It was going to cost way more than that to have an electrician come run the power from the house out to the barn plus all the fixtures, wire, etc. I've got low voltage lights and LED's, plug the power tool batteries and water pump into the inverter and works great

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Slightly off topic, I haven't done a house but I did do a small barn on my place where I park my riding mower, keep hand and power tools, store coolers, tailgate stuff etc. Bought a couple used panels off Craigslist in Memphis and had a friend pick them up. Bought a new charge controller, inverter and couple deep cycle batteries and use it to run the lights in my barn, charge my power tool batteries there, some outdoor landscape lights and a small water pump I have to pump rain barrel water to my garden area. I don't think I'd ever do the whole house but this works really good for what I use it for and I'm only in to it for maybe $500 and it costs me nothing every month. It was going to cost way more than that to have an electrician come run the power from the house out to the barn plus all the fixtures, wire, etc. I've got low voltage lights and LED's, plug the power tool batteries and water pump into the inverter and works great
I plan on doing something similar for my shop to at least get lights and minor power needs. Sounds very similar to what you already did. Any tips on your setup?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I plan on doing something similar for my shop to at least get lights and minor power needs. Sounds very similar to what you already did. Any tips on your setup?
I watched a lot of Will Prowse YouTube videos, his channel is "DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse" He has a bunch of complex videos but he also has a lot of good simple DIY small projects. He does a bunch of reviews on the items you will need to do it with too. The solar panels and batteries are obviously the big ticket items. I did used solar panels because if they come from a reliable source they can still be 80%+ efficient and I can sometimes go days or weeks without going out there and turning anything on except the night landscape lights so they work fine for me. eBay has a bunch of them all the time but they are usually pick up only, nobody wants to ship them. Batteries are all over the place too. I bought new good deep cycle batteries like you would use in a trolling motor but you can also buy high $$ LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Sulfate) that will run you $600 each easy. You can also get used and new cheaper batteries locally or on eBay and some people will ship those or you can get used ones from golf cart dealers. There is an old guy on Youtube that uses old car batteries for powering his cabin even. My panels are on a frame I built at ground level so they are easy to clean year round. If you live in a snowy climate that makes a big difference when you need to clean the snow off instead of trying to drag it off the roof from the ground and you don't want to get on a roof with snow or ice/frost. Harbor Freight has some panels that reviews aren't bad on YouTube. Grape Solar is an online company that I have used some too.

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011

Great info. Thanks. What company or equipment did you go with. The company I’m talking with is out of Texas. Enlight Energy.

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
Great info. Thanks. What company or equipment did you go with. The company I’m talking with is out of Texas. Enlight Energy.
I got bids form South Coast Solar and Solar Alternatives. I went with South Coast Solar. Both were professional and responsive. I believe the panels were made by SunPower.

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
What do you do when you need a new roof?
It will cost about $3-$4k to remove and reinstall the panels for installation,. My roof was only a few years old, so I was not too worried about that, but definitely something to consider. The solar companies did not put that in the pricing models they provided.

Reactions: RocketDawg

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
How do they look?

I'm interested, but my electric bill is so low as it is, I doubt the payback period would be worth it. In any case, I think it wouldn't make sense to do it until it's time to replace the roof anyway.
I was offered a $40k system that would have provided less power but went with a $55k system. You can finance for up to 20 years. Here is the data from the proposal. As you can see the model assumes increases in energy costs. From an investment strategy it is a pretty good hedge against inflation. It also factors in the tax rebate I got, which I assume is available under the federal law passed this summer.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 9.29.52 AM.png

NOLA Dawg

Jan 2, 2020
I was offered a $40k system that would have provided less power but went with a $55k system. You can finance for up to 20 years. Here is the data from the proposal. As you can see the model assumes increases in energy costs. From an investment strategy it is a pretty good hedge against inflation. It also factors in the tax rebate I got, which I assume is available under the federal law passed this summer.

View attachment 245661
And they look great. They are mounted on racks about 6 inches off of the roof and have a clean shiny black glass look.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007

View attachment 245661
Interesting. Thanks.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007

View attachment 245661
You must have a huge house…

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Not sure how new these GAF solar shingles are to the market - https://www.gaf.energy/timberline-solar/
Saw a show on Roku where they put them on a house in CO and they power the entire home. They nail down over shingles using roofing tacks and they connect to each other with a simple connection. You only need to a couple of lines through the roof for power so less intrusion to the decking. Not sure of cost or if they are being installed in MS.

Reactions: ChE1997

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
My Cuz who lives in Texas said lots of people out there were going this route. I am considering this in the future myself.

He didn't get the batteries either. He buys power at night but generates more during the day than he uses and sells it back. What he sells is at a lower rate so it's not 1 for 1 kilowatt.

He just installed it this past month and for the first month the power company didn't credit his account for power sold. It wasn't connected properly.

So, make sure everything gets hooked up right by asking your power company or you won't get credit for the excess power you generated.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Worth it?
I just went through this analysis recently. It comes down to the ROI based on your roof's footprint, how much sun your house gets, the amount of years you are going to remain in the house, and other factors.

I couldn't justify dropping the money and seeing a payback in 5-6 years. But that was based on my situation. I will add that if I lived out West, it would be a an easier sell as the cost of utiltiles and weather and very favorbale upsides to installing them.

However, I can say that there is advice on here that has been provided is pretty solid and along the lines of my experience / analysis

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I hate to bump an old post, but this ungodly summer has got me thinking about solar.

I’ve been in discussions with a firm to see about going solar. Their lease options are so sleazy…. Goes up 3% a year for 25 years, and even more if you take the smart wall and battery option. I’d be paying $76K or $116K (with muh smart wall and battery) over the course of 25 years. Sheer lunacy.

My south-facing roof gets pelted by the sun due to the slope of our street and no trees near it. I’m considering buying some panels outright…. They’d make that side of the house cooler and in all likelihood would pay most of my bill throughout the year, plus the buyback from Oncor.

Forbes had some good raw data: https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/solar/cost-of-solar-panels/

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't think it makes much sense in our part of the country (MS) because of the 25ish year payback by which time it's about time to replace the panels and wiring and you've already replaced the batteries, probably a couple times which I'm not sure they always include in your payback timeline, they stick those in maintenance category. They aren't used as much Nov-March either when it's cloudy cold and wet so it's hard for them to pay for themselves that time of year.
I'm all about solar for remote uses, it's not that I'm against solar at all. I've got a 180 watt panel on top of my pontoon that charges battery for all of my sound system, spot lights, little party lights, charging ports for phones, and with an inverter we can make frozen drinks with a blender. The starter battery on the boat has a solar trickle charger that stays on while it's sitting. I've got one small panel on my storage shed also to run some LED lights inside and security lights on outside. I've got solar yard lights all around the yard too.
There's a guy on YouTube named Will Prosser that can explain how to do anything with solar from a couple yard lights to an entire home if you want to try some of it yourself.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I don't think it makes much sense in our part of the country (MS) because of the 25ish year payback by which time it's about time to replace the panels and wiring and you've already replaced the batteries, probably a couple times which I'm not sure they always include in your payback timeline, they stick those in maintenance category. They aren't much use Nov-March either when it's cloudy cold and wet so it's hard for them to pay for themselves that time of year.
I'm all about solar for remote uses, it's not that I'm against solar at all. I've got a 180 watt panel on top of my pontoon that charges battery for all of my sound system, spot lights, little party lights, charging ports for phones, and with an inverter we can make frozen drinks with a blender. The starter battery on the boat has a solar trickle charger that stays on while it's sitting. I've got one small panel on my storage shed also to run some LED lights inside and security lights on outside. I've got solar yard lights all around the yard too.
There's a guy on YouTube named Will Prosser that can explain how to do anything with solar from a couple yard lights to an entire home if you want to try some of it yourself.
I forgot to mention that I’m in DFW, so it may make a little more sense here with the year round sun. However, the guy said I’d only have a small power bill a couple times a year. He also said they collect UV rays, so it’s looking like he’s a scam or not too bright.

November-March here are very low usage months, anyway…. Like another poster said, this would mostly be a hedge against raising energy costs. But, all in all, I think it would be pretty close to having a way more consistent bill and getting a check back once a year from the energy provider.

vvshjkagd

Aug 3, 2023
Worth it?
I personally haven't engaged with solar energy companies or installed solar panels myself, but I can provide you with some general information about the pros and cons of installing solar panels based on existing knowledge up to September 2021. Keep in mind that the specific circumstances can vary widely based on factors such as location, energy consumption, incentives, and technological advancements.

Pros of Installing Solar Panels:

1. Reduced Electricity Bills: Solar panels can significantly reduce or even eliminate your monthly electricity bills, as you generate your own electricity from sunlight.
  2. Environmental Benefits: Solar energy is a clean and renewable energy source, which helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reliance on fossil fuels, contributing to a greener environment.
  3. Low Operating Costs: Once installed, solar panels have relatively low maintenance costs, as they have no moving parts and typically require only occasional cleaning.
  4. Energy Independence: Generating your own electricity can provide a degree of energy independence and reduce your vulnerability to fluctuations in energy prices.
  5. Increased Property Value: Homes with solar panels are often perceived as more valuable and attractive to potential buyers, which can enhance your property's resale value.
  6. Government Incentives: Many governments offer incentives, tax credits, or rebates to promote solar adoption, which can help offset the upfront installation costs.
  7. Long Lifespan: Solar panels have a relatively long lifespan, often lasting 25 years or more, making them a long-term investment.
Cons of Installing Solar Panels:

1. High Initial Costs: The upfront cost of purchasing and installing solar panels can be substantial, although this cost has been decreasing over time due to technological advancements and increased adoption.
  2. Weather Dependence: Solar panels rely on sunlight to generate electricity, so their efficiency can be affected by weather conditions and geographical location.
  3. Space Requirements: Depending on your energy needs, you might require a significant amount of roof space or land for optimal solar panel installation, which might not be feasible for all properties.
  4. Aesthetic Concerns: Some homeowners may find solar panels aesthetically unappealing, which could potentially impact the property's visual appeal.
  5. Maintenance Costs: While solar panels have low ongoing maintenance costs, occasional cleaning and potential repairs could be necessary.
  6. Storage and Backup: Solar energy production is intermittent, and you might need to invest in energy storage solutions (like batteries) if you want a consistent power supply during cloudy days or at night.
  7. Regulatory Hurdles: Depending on your location, there might be regulatory challenges or permitting requirements that could add complexity to the installation process.
Before making a decision about installing solar panels, it's important to conduct a thorough analysis of your energy consumption, potential savings, available incentives, and any other relevant factors. Consulting with solar energy companies, obtaining multiple quotes, and seeking advice from professionals can help you make an informed decision based on your specific situation. Additionally, since my knowledge is up to September 2021, I recommend checking for the latest developments and information in the solar energy industry.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I have 3.5 acres with plenty of room for panels in a really open sun-splashed location. Would not put them on my roof.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have 3.5 acres with plenty of room for panels in a really open sun-splashed location. Would not put them on my roof.

That brings up another "Con" to installing solar. Call your roofer and ask them about what they think of it and if they are going to honor the warranty w/ all of those extra holes put in the shingles and whatever membrane they use below the shingles. It actually shields the shingles from hail damage and sun degredation but still, all those holes...They don't have to be put on a roof though, depending on your situation there's plenty of instances of people putting them on racks on the ground and pointing them South, running the wire underground and storing the energy in batteries in a shed. As I said earlier, I'm all for it but its got to be the right situation.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That brings up another "Con" to installing solar. Call your roofer and ask them about what they think of it and if they are going to honor the warranty w/ all of those extra holes put in the shingles and whatever membrane they use below the shingles. It actually shields the shingles from hail damage and sun degredation but still, all those holes...They don't have to be put on a roof though, depending on your situation there's plenty of instances of people putting them on racks on the ground and pointing them South, running the wire underground and storing the energy in batteries in a shed. As I said earlier, I'm all for it but its got to be the right situation.
Yeah, the other thing I’ve always wondered about is what happens when you’ve financed these things over a 20-yr loan but end up moving in 5. All the solar companies just brush that off and say oh yeah, no problem. You’ll just work that into the contract, and typically the buyers take over remaining payments. I just can’t believe it’s that easy, though.

Like if I’m a buyer and I find a house with a nice pool, that’s great. on the other hand, if I find a place with a nice pool, and I’m told that I’ll need to cover 15 years of payments because the owners haven’t paid it off yet, that’s a problem

Reactions: ChE1997 and eckie1

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I remember looking at this when my åsshole neighbor put a bunch of solar on his roof 5 years ago when I lived in DFW. It was over 20 years to break even and said peckerwood was in his late 60's. I was happy to point out that he would have live in the house until he was 90 just to break even on his investment.

If you want to offset your energy costs going forward use the money you'd spend on solar to buy a broad portfolio of high yield bonds and dividend producing stocks. Apply that income to your power bill and sell the holdings when you go to the old fogey home. That's a much better investment unless you live in a location paying more than $.25 per kwh. That's when you start getting to a reasonable ROI on solar.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I personally haven't engaged with solar energy companies or installed solar panels myself, but I can provide you with some general information about the pros and cons of installing solar panels based on existing knowledge up to September 2021. Keep in mind that the specific circumstances can vary widely based on factors such as location, energy consumption, incentives, and technological advancements.

Pros of Installing Solar Panels:

1. Reduced Electricity Bills: Solar panels can significantly reduce or even eliminate your monthly electricity bills, as you generate your own electricity from sunlight.
  2. Environmental Benefits: Solar energy is a clean and renewable energy source, which helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reliance on fossil fuels, contributing to a greener environment.
  3. Low Operating Costs: Once installed, solar panels have relatively low maintenance costs, as they have no moving parts and typically require only occasional cleaning.
  4. Energy Independence: Generating your own electricity can provide a degree of energy independence and reduce your vulnerability to fluctuations in energy prices.
  5. Increased Property Value: Homes with solar panels are often perceived as more valuable and attractive to potential buyers, which can enhance your property's resale value.
  6. Government Incentives: Many governments offer incentives, tax credits, or rebates to promote solar adoption, which can help offset the upfront installation costs.
  7. Long Lifespan: Solar panels have a relatively long lifespan, often lasting 25 years or more, making them a long-term investment.
Cons of Installing Solar Panels:

1. High Initial Costs: The upfront cost of purchasing and installing solar panels can be substantial, although this cost has been decreasing over time due to technological advancements and increased adoption.
  2. Weather Dependence: Solar panels rely on sunlight to generate electricity, so their efficiency can be affected by weather conditions and geographical location.
  3. Space Requirements: Depending on your energy needs, you might require a significant amount of roof space or land for optimal solar panel installation, which might not be feasible for all properties.
  4. Aesthetic Concerns: Some homeowners may find solar panels aesthetically unappealing, which could potentially impact the property's visual appeal.
  5. Maintenance Costs: While solar panels have low ongoing maintenance costs, occasional cleaning and potential repairs could be necessary.
  6. Storage and Backup: Solar energy production is intermittent, and you might need to invest in energy storage solutions (like batteries) if you want a consistent power supply during cloudy days or at night.
  7. Regulatory Hurdles: Depending on your location, there might be regulatory challenges or permitting requirements that could add complexity to the installation process.
Before making a decision about installing solar panels, it's important to conduct a thorough analysis of your energy consumption, potential savings, available incentives, and any other relevant factors. Consulting with solar energy companies, obtaining multiple quotes, and seeking advice from professionals can help you make an informed decision based on your specific situation. Additionally, since my knowledge is up to September 2021, I recommend checking for the latest developments and information in the solar energy industry.
Thanks, ChatGPT!

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The penalty I would have to pay Alabama Power for having them makes it cost prohibitive.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How do they look?

Change of subject. I put a new HVAC system in my house. I went from 3 ton to a 3.5-ton unit. The system cost 4800.00. The new unit is a Trane. The salesman said my lowered electric bill will pay for the new unit in about five years. My average summer eclectic build went down from 389 to 189 a month. It is now five years old, and he was not lying.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
A concern of mine too. I'll have plenty of room to put them on the ground a my retirement house, but it will be iffy on living the 20 years to make my money back.
The simple answer is.... you remove the panels and rails and have them install you new roof and install your rails during the roof install. The panels can be removed easily, usually just a clip system to the overall rail. You just disconnect them from each other similarly to unplugging your phone and then move each panel down prior to the roof replacement. Installing goes exactly the same but in the reverse order.

Actually installing your panel system is pretty dang easy.

Reactions: ChE1997 and eckie1
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login