OT- Solar Screens

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Anyone use solar screens (exterior window screens but they reflect heat from the sun). The front of my house catches the afternoon sun and the sun ain't f'in around. Would appreciate any advice from those who have tried this. Not looking at "tint" film as the screens can be removed and I'm assuming tint is pretty much permanent.

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007
We have some windows that get the afternoon sun and we use solar drapes (along with closed blinds of course). Basically they're curtains that have a special liner to help block heat. Thay do help quite a bit. Just another option.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Solar screens work extremely well. You will love the heat reduction in your rooms. The downside is the blacked out look from the outside and it is hard to see out from inside the house.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Solar screens work extremely well. You will love the heat reduction in your rooms. The downside is the blacked out look from the outside and it is hard to see out from inside the house.
Wouldn't they need to be removed in the winter/heating season?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Cow Flatulence kills polar bears fastern fossil fuels. Case closed.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
You need something on the outside not the inside. An inside barrier feels like it blocks the heat and it does block direct heat but once the heat is inside the house it radiates into the surrounding space. I personally use something called trees. They're great for blocking the sun but they're not great for tornadoes!

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
You need something on the outside not the inside. An inside barrier feels like it blocks the heat and it does block direct heat but once the heat is inside the house it radiates into the surrounding space. I personally use something called trees. They're great for blocking the sun but they're not great for tornadoes!
Trees are great for early in the morning and late afternoon. Not so great in the middle of the day.

That is why traditionally, in Mississippi a 24" overhang is your best friend. Trees to block sun in the middle hours of the day, are too close to the house for safety concerns. A 24" overhang works all day every day. Now for morning and afternoon, trees placed around 50 feet from your house, once grown will work phenomenally.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Trees are great for early in the morning and late afternoon. Not so great in the middle of the day.

That is why traditionally, in Mississippi a 24" overhang is your best friend. Trees to block sun in the middle hours of the day, are too close to the house for safety concerns. A 24" overhang works all day every day. Now for morning and afternoon, trees placed around 50 feet from your house, once grown will work phenomenally.
Great point. It seems that many of the homes built int he first half of the twenty century had awnings over the windows, when the "ranch" style (inspired by Brutalism?) became popular in the 60s, it seems awnings fell out of favor.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Anyone use solar screens (exterior window screens but they reflect heat from the sun). The front of my house catches the afternoon sun and the sun ain't f'in around. Would appreciate any advice from those who have tried this. Not looking at "tint" film as the screens can be removed and I'm assuming tint is pretty much permanent.

You really should have planted an oak tree 20 years ago.***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login