OT: some of you gulf coasters please weigh in.....

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Just casually kicking around the idea of possibly buying a small place somewhere along the MS coast. We're open to anywhere from Pass Christian to Ocean Springs, sans Biloxi. Not dead set on buying something on 90 or Beach Blvd but it would be nice. Just don't want to pay the HOA that much.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Just casually kicking around the idea of possibly buying a small place somewhere along the MS coast. We're open to anywhere from Pass Christian to Ocean Springs, sans Biloxi. Not dead set on buying something on 90 or Beach Blvd but it would be nice. Just don't want to pay the HOA that much.
No room in Ocean Springs. We’re closed.

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Just stayed in an airb&b in BSL this past weekend. Very nice. Walking distance to the restaurants/bars in the bunch by the bay. Was VERY nice. Also, nice people. Please don’t screw it up if you decide on the area. ***

Reactions: yakalot2

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Focus on flood zones, since the ocean is rising. Bayou area too. Home insurance coverage is a MAJOR issue for a lot of people that live near the water.
Pass Christian is ok, overrated for this Gulfport boy.
If I had to chose, I'd go with O.S. (Ocean Springs). Has the best brewery and its closer to the real beaches (Gulf Shores/Florida).

• Haha
Reactions: JackShephard

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Focus on flood zones, since the ocean is rising. Bayou area too. Home insurance coverage is a MAJOR issue for a lot of people that live near the water.
Pass Christian is ok, overrated for this Gulfport boy.
If I had to chose, I'd go with O.S. (Ocean Springs). Has the best brewery and its closer to the real beaches (Gulf Shores/Florida).
I have a place in Orange Beach and the insurance factor is scary. I would love to keep my condo there but I'm worried about selling the thing if it becomes uninsurable.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have a place in Orange Beach and the insurance factor is scary. I would love to keep my condo there but I'm worried about selling the thing if it becomes uninsurable.
Not to mention property taxes have almost tripled here in the past nine years. We looked at a two bedroom at Fish Camp about 8 months ago, at that time the HOA was $435 per month. The same unit is still for sale and in those 8 months the HOA has increased to $915 per month. It’s not going to stop either, they are now constructing a $52 million football stadium and gym for the High School. $52 million, high school!

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Small would need to be quantified. OS can range from $150-$400/square foot. Good luck to you

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Two br, two bath would be minimal..........
There are several options you might would consider. There are multiple new construction neighborhoods that would get you in the area but wouldn’t have you on the beach. I know you mentioned not really looking at paying HOA so that might be a non-starter. Older homes are always available to have you in golf cart areas but if you’re wanting to find that perfect beach cottage, join the crowd. It doesn’t exist on the market and if it does, expect it to be under contract within 6-12 hours of hitting the market and at quite the premium.

I’d recommend looking on one of the real estate sites (take your pick) and see what’s available in the areas you’d be interested in. Realtor is pretty good at showing the flood zones (still need to verify) but you’d have to check into windpool areas on your own. Somebody else might be able to point you in the right direction on that.

I’d recommend doing a little tax/insurance checking before committing to something like this. You might be rich for all I know. None of my business but some of these type of places could be looking at a $1000/month insurance/tax bill or more.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have a place in Orange Beach

I Think You Should Leave Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If you can afford it, bay St. Louis and then ocean springs are going to feel the most like a vacation spot if you can get somewhere you can golf cart to downtown. The pass and Long Beach also have nice little downtowns. Definitely small but at least have a couple of options with housing you can walk/bike/golf cart in from. Not sure if Long Beach and the pass allows golf carts downtown. Been a while since I’ve been to either.

I’m a little confused by the hoa comment though. Not sure most of the properties on 90 or beach boulevard have HOAs. The exception would be the condos. those are going to look expensive. But when you consider what you will pay for insurance and exterior maintenance on a house near the beach, particularly as an out of town owner, you’re going to be at a pretty good monthly number. The big thing is making sure they are well run. The good ones are building up reserves for the major work (roof replacement, exterior window replacement, pool refurbishment, painting, etc). The bad ones charge you all that money and then hit you for big assessments anyway when major maintenance is required.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
If you can afford it, bay St. Louis and then ocean springs are going to feel the most like a vacation spot if you can get somewhere you can golf cart to downtown. The pass and Long Beach also have nice little downtowns. Definitely small but at least have a couple of options with housing you can walk/bike/golf cart in from. Not sure if Long Beach and the pass allows golf carts downtown. Been a while since I’ve been to either.

I’m a little confused by the hoa comment though. Not sure most of the properties on 90 or beach boulevard have HOAs. The exception would be the condos. those are going to look expensive. But when you consider what you will pay for insurance and exterior maintenance on a house near the beach, particularly as an out of town owner, you’re going to be at a pretty good monthly number. The big thing is making sure they are well run. The good ones are building up reserves for the major work (roof replacement, exterior window replacement, pool refurbishment, painting, etc). The bad ones charge you all that money and then hit you for big assessments anyway when major maintenance is required.
Good feedback and thanks J86.........We'd prefer a condo or townhouse.............Possibly a smaller home but we just didn't want anything to big to have to keep up.......

GulfDawg

May 15, 2021
Lots of options for condos down here. HOA's vary depending on the development. You get great income from them if you rent out. Also Elliott Homes is building a nice townhome development in Gulfport very close to downtown. There are other townhome developments in other coastal cities as well. Talk to a LOCAL realtor. You don't want to use a realtor that lives hours away even if they do have a second home down here. Local realtors know the developers, contractors, off the market listings and local trends much better than someone who is not involved in the market down here on a daily basis.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I just built on 90 in Gulfport two years ago....the lot prices got pretty ridiculous..but may be starting to come back down .. I found a good lot that is in flood zone AE ..my development does not have an HOA and there isn't a reason for one since the trash is handled through the water department... the insurance hasn't been horrible... I'm able to get an admitted company ( which means there is a guarantee fund to protect against them going belly up) just have to have a 15,000 deductible.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
At a minimum you should be checking on Zillow and Realtor.com. Spread your search across all the coast and strongly consider a local realtor to help with your search as they might be able to catch an unlisted jewel. After retiring from Dallas two years ago, we thought the coast would work for us but after looking for a home for 4 months we gave up and bought in Ridgeland. No regrets. I assume you are looking for a getaway place and not a forever home as we were.

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Just my thoughts
We have a place in Orange Beach and can golf cart almost anywhere on the island.
We’re 1.5 miles from the beach and plenty of options for public beaches.
We are in a flood zone and have flood insurance that runs about $80 per month.
Home insurance with SF is very reasonable, maybe $100 per month with a $5000 deductible.
HOA runs $200 monthly, but it a very nice neighborhood, well kept, and has a lazy river pool.
My point being do your due diligence and it can happen

Reactions: woozman and CEO2044

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Just my thoughts
We have a place in Orange Beach and can golf cart almost anywhere on the island.
We’re 1.5 miles from the beach and plenty of options for public beaches.
We are in a flood zone and have flood insurance that runs about $80 per month.
Home insurance with SF is very reasonable, maybe $100 per month with a $5000 deductible.
HOA runs $200 monthly, but it a very nice neighborhood, well kept, and has a lazy river pool.
My point being do your due diligence and it can happen
What is the island? Ono island? Perdido key? Is there a development with a lazy river there?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login