OT: spinal fusion

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Looks like a fusion of C6/7 is in my near future. Any tips or tricks from those of you that may have done this before?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yikes. Good luck. Only advice I have, that you’re probably already doing, is to get with a physical therapist & learn the proper stretching & strengthening exercises for your back. Prehab before surgery. If you’re lucky maybe even delay surgery.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Good luck

I had C3-T2 in 2016. Fused and replaced discs with complete instrumentation. I was ok at first but continuing underlying stenosis and degenerative disk issues continued and caused bigger neurological problems for me. My neck looks like the Terminator.

MOST people do okay. Peyton Manning had cervical fusion, rehabbed, and continuing play in the NFL. Rehab is a biggie in any fusion so be patient and listen to your PT folks

stateguy

Sep 2, 2012
C3-T2? Holy 17!
That's a huge span

From medical standpoint (not a spine surgeon by any stretch), big issue is the limited mobility from the fusion puts stress on other joints. If the surgeon is selecting people out like they are supposed to - not everything that can be fused should be fused - most people do well long term.

Good luck

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Looks like a fusion of C6/7 is in my near future. Any tips or tricks from those of you that may have done this before?

Very important to understand the skill of the surgeon doing the procedure. Trust me when I say the competency of all Ortho/Neuro surgeons are not remotely the same but there are incredible surgeons out there and if you get one it will be a success.

Also, don't hesitate to ask what products they plan on using. If it's not a top 2-3 Spine company then you need to move on quickly.

If you have a good surgeon using reputable product then it will most likely be a game changing positive outcome for you! Best wishes brother!!

was21

May 29, 2007
With all due respect, might not be a good idea to seek medical advice on this forum

bully12

Sep 2, 2012

I had 5 back surgeries/procedures over 4 years (6th overall), the last being fusion L1 - L4, including all the goodies - rods, screws, disc decompression, and cadaver bone implant last December 5th. It's been the most successful of all my surgeries, but degenerative discs and "old arthur" have set in again, so staying pain-free is not in the cards. The rehab/therapy is hugely important, but the best exercise regimen since the end of rehab is deep-water aerobics. Instructor could pass for a former Marine drill instructor, but it's a great aerobic, muscle-building, and core-strengthening routine. Good luck!!

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
My wife has had both a 3 level and 1 level in the past 2 years caused by an auto accident. My two tips are 1) forget about ortho, this is your spine get a neurosurgeon and don’t think twice, and 2) only do a Ultraminimally Invasive Percutaneous Fusion. If the doc mentions a cage, walkout. My wife’s 1 level resulted in 3 1 cm scars and she was up walking in 4 hours.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Swimming, lots of swimming. I had big issues from too much running over the years and started "running" in the pool. You may be too far gone but any of you having unexplained back issues starting, if you have access to a pool get in it and start just treading water. That's how I started and it changed me completely from chronic pain to very little if any at all. I don't remember the exact number but something like 10 minutes of strenuous treading water or running w/ the flotation belt on to keep you up is the same cardio as 30 minutes of running w/ no joint stress or sweat. Being weightless with a flotation belt in deep water allows your spine and other joints to completely stretch out and relieve the compression. Try it, much cheaper and safer than surgery

Last edited:

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
The wife had a fusion, maybe 10 years back, with titanium "Z" plate and cadiver bone insert. She felt better right away, did her rehab (important) and is fine now. The cadiver bone is a little creepy I guess.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
My wife has had both a 3 level and 1 level in the past 2 years caused by an auto accident. My two tips are 1) forget about ortho, this is your spine get a neurosurgeon and don’t think twice, and 2) only do a Ultraminimally Invasive Percutaneous Fusion. If the doc mentions a cage, walkout. My wife’s 1 level resulted in 3 1 cm scars and she was up walking in 4 hours.

The key is surgeon selection. The wrong surgeon sees everything as a nail so they use the hammer....we call them cutters. The right surgeon will only do surgery if absolutely necessary. They will also use the appropriate device for the patient/surgery whether that's plate, screws, cage, biologic or combination of any/all.

What do you call a medical student who graduates last in their class? A doctor. You want last or top of class? Peak behind the curtains and ask tons of questions about your surgeon. It's potentially the most important job hire you'll ever make!!

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Swimming is great for your back

Swimming, lots of swimming.

I hurt my back a few years ago. Started swimming laps because all other forms of exercise hurt. I could feel my back stretching as I swam and there was a definitive time where I felt it decompress while swimming. No more back pain.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I had 5 back surgeries/procedures over 4 years (6th overall), the last being fusion L1 - L4, including all the goodies - rods, screws, disc decompression, and cadaver bone implant last December 5th. It's been the most successful of all my surgeries, but degenerative discs and "old arthur" have set in again, so staying pain-free is not in the cards. The rehab/therapy is hugely important, but the best exercise regimen since the end of rehab is deep-water aerobics. Instructor could pass for a former Marine drill instructor, but it's a great aerobic, muscle-building, and core-strengthening routine. Good luck!!

Degenerative discs are a *****. The only things worse are Osteoarthritic bone growths in the spinal bones.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
HRMSU makes good points on surgeon selection. When you hear ‘people’ say “he’s supposed to be the best”…uhh he/she might not be. I disagree with the hardware having to be from a top 2-3 company. Now days there are a lot of great products from companies other than Medtronic, Nuvasive, Depuy, Globus, especially when talking about cervical plates. They are a commodity.

That being said, a 1 level ACDF is a bread and butter case for any spine surgeon with the highest rate of success of any type fusion procedure. Shouldn’t take very long, although I’ve seen guys that took HOURS to do one, which is ridiculous.

Don’t let IBLeed’s post scare you. He apparently had a posterior cervical fusion which is not even in the same realm, especially recovery wise.

Did you Dr. give you an option of a disc replacement? It might not be an option in your case, but a dang good one if youre a candidate. Have you tried conservative treatment?

good luck

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
HRMSU makes good points on surgeon selection. When you hear ‘people’ say “he’s supposed to be the best”…uhh he/she might not be.

That being said, a 1 level ACDF is a bread and butter case for any spine surgeon with the highest rate of success of any type fusion procedure. Shouldn’t take very long, although I’ve seen guys that took HOURS to do one, which is ridiculous.

Don’t let IBLeed’s post scare you. He apparently had a posterior cervical fusion which is not even in the same realm, especially recovery wise.

Did you Dr. give you an option of a disc replacement? It might not be an option in your case, but a dang good one if youre a candidate. Have you tried conservative treatment?

good luck

I'm sorry if I scared anyone I wasn't trying to I was trying to make the point that most have successful surgeries with a good surgeon. I was fortunate to have one of the top surgeons in the country here in Austin when I needed the surgery otherwise I probably wouldn't be walking. And yes, mine is a rare case that mostly caused by hereditary issues unlike the ones other posters have talked about above^^^.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The key is surgeon selection. The wrong surgeon sees everything as a nail so they use the hammer....we call them cutters. The right surgeon will only do surgery if absolutely necessary. They will also use the appropriate device for the patient/surgery whether that's plate, screws, cage, biologic or combination of any/all.

What do you call a medical student who graduates last in their class? A doctor. You want last or top of class? Peak behind the curtains and ask tons of questions about your surgeon. It's potentially the most important job hire you'll ever make!!

This is a big deal. And it can sometimes be hard to get good advice because the people that know (other doctors and PTs) may be hesitant to criticize somebody that they are either colleagues with or could hurt them by denying referrals.

If you know any workers comp attorneys, particularly on the defense side, I would ask them who to avoid. They probably won't be able to tell you who the best surgeons are, but they and the carriers will know which surgeons consistently have patients that don't get better. Plenty of workers comp claimants trying to milk a back injury that should be handled through non-surgical means have put themselves in a lifetime of pain because they went to the wrong surgeon.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
HRMSU makes good points on surgeon selection. When you hear ‘people’ say “he’s supposed to be the best”…uhh he/she might not be. I disagree with the hardware having to be from a top 2-3 company. Now days there are a lot of great products from companies other than Medtronic, Nuvasive, Depuy, Globus, especially when talking about cervical plates. They are a commodity.

good luck

You sir, know your stuff and I can agree with everything you said even about my product comment. I'm slightly biased to market leaders and surgeons who use them mainly for technology and support reasons.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
This is why asking for advice on a forum is generally a bad idea.

1. Plenty of excellent ortho spine surgeons. Did you know that 25-30 years ago, many neurosurgeons were not even trained to do lumbar fusions (not the case with OP I know) That being said, now days all Neuros have some spine training, and for most it makes up the bulk of their practice. Brain surgery don’t pay the bills.
2. “Ultra” (whatever that is) Minimally Invasive Perc fusions are not done for ACDF.
3. Walkout if a cage is mentioned…huh? Why? A ‘cage’ is a broadly used term, which could reference a number of different devices. If you’re having a lumbar fusion you’re mostly likely going to have a intervertebral cage of some sort for anterior column support. And in an anterior cervical fusion(OP’s case I assume), the “spacer” is commonly referred to as a cage. A cage is there to provide support, and usually holds some sort of graft material.

Last edited:

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
You sir, know your stuff and I can agree with everything you said even about my product comment. I'm slightly biased to market leaders and surgeons who use them mainly for technology and support reasons.
I’ve been around the block a few times you could say…lol

bwilli.sixpack

Mar 23, 2020
I am currently on day 20 from having my L5/S1 fused. I will say that my original pain is gone for now and I'm just having to deal with the pain from the actual surgery. Overall, I would go back tomorrow and do it again. Now, next week I might not say that. Back surgeries are a different animal. This is my second and I'm pleased with the outcome so far.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Sixpack fusion interpretation.

Edit to delete a picture of cock and balls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Weight loss and yoga. Kept me from having to do fusions. Had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1 for a major herniation from softball, and years later a small herniation of L4/L5 (picking up sawed up trees like an idiot). An injection kept me out of surgery for that one. After the surgery, I adopted yoga/stretching (basic stretches at first, DDP yoga later on) and I'm convinced that kept me out of the operating room this second time.

But if you're past the point of no return, then fusion may be the only choice. But get after the yoga once healed. Back issues tend to compound on top of each other.

fredgarvin

Jun 26, 2010
I had an ACDF about 10 years in the same location. I had a great surgeon; no personality but extremely skilled.

Two issues: 1) I could not cope with wearing a solid neck brace for 3 weeks after the surgery as prescribed especially when trying to sleep. Got a second opinion and learned that each doctor has their own take about neck braces and therapy. I switched to a soft collar and started therapy sooner 2) Take your laxative along with your pain meds. The constipation I experienced was far worse than any pain I had post surgery.

Also, start walking as soon as you can. Best post surgery therapy

Jul 5, 2020
I know you're probably past the point, but I cannot second doing yoga for spinal injuries. Certainly for lumbar, but also for cervical injuries. I was headed for a lumbar surgery per the ortho that I saw and started doing yoga 3-4 times/week and have only had flare-ups when I slack on the yoga and do something stupid without properly stretching. I had stenosis, etc., that decreased naturally as I got stronger and inflammation decreased.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I am currently on day 20 from having my L5/S1 fused. I will say that my original pain is gone for now and I'm just having to deal with the pain from the actual surgery. Overall, I would go back tomorrow and do it again. Now, next week I might not say that. Back surgeries are a different animal. This is my second and I'm pleased with the outcome so far.

As has been mentioned several times herein, hit the swimming pool ASAP. Deep water aerobics with a flotation belt is the best!! Feet never touch the bottom of the pool, so no stress or pressure on the back or spine. Great exercise for all muscle groups and especially great cardio benefit. Also, if you are overweight, shed some lbs!! I've heard it said that every pound lost takes 4 pounds of pressure off the spine. That got my attention!!

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Just do what you’re told exactly no matter what you may think at the time. They will push you in rehab. If it’s too much let them know. Be honest with your dr. Don’t try to do more than you should. You’ll have good days & not so good, but if it goes well you’ll get some relief. It took me over a year to get back to my old self. Good luck.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Had cervical fusion on C 3-7...small incision on right side of my neck. Recovery went well but the stress on my throat was the most difficult for recovery. Easy to start coughing if I even eat a dry cracker. Too much calcification might require entry in the rear of the neck which will give you less range of motion. I had to sleep in a recliner for two weeks. Good luck.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login