OT: Sports & Nonsports Cards

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
I collected a bunch of cards when I was a kid and have been slowly moving all that stuff out of my parent's house into my house, and have started to go through it all. It appears from looking at the price guides that the bottom has dropped out of the collectible cards market to the point to where just about everything post-1985 is pretty much trash from an investment standpoint. I have noticed a few things catching top dollar on EBay, but they are all graded items, similar to comic books as well. So some questions below:

1. What is your experience with grading services for cards and comics?

2. What is the decision price point on going with grading services? The cost seems to be about $60 per item that can be a sliding scale the more items you have graded, plus shipping costs. It also looks like you can recoup most of the grading cost in the sale price of the card or comic.

3. Is the whole grading thing another bubble that will burst later?

4. I have a few complete cards sets that I assembled myself, but it appears that the value of the overall card set is much less than what some of the individual parts can fetch. Is it best to do away with the sets for the more valuable pieces of the sets?

My ultimate intention is to keep the more rare and valuable items and pass them down to my daughter, but get rid of just about everything else. I also don't want her cleaning out my house when I am dead in 30 or so years and thinking I was a major hoarder.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login