OT: Star Wars and Superheroes

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
The Book of Boba Fett is not good so far, which is really disappointing considering how good The Mandalorian has been.

Peacemaker on HBO (spin-off from 2021's The Suicide Squad) has been shockingly great (maybe less shocking if you consider James Gunn's involvement).

Anyone else drowning their post-football sorrows in nerdy TV?

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I think Book of Boba Fet is pretty good.

Im enjoying Peacemaker too. Cena is perfect for the part. He doesn't take himself too seriously whic is what os need for the character and deep inside you can tell he is a superhero nerd at heart.

Feb 15, 2007
Peacemaker is AWESOME. I’m not a DC guy, but watched Suicide Squad because Gunn’s involvement. Thought it good, but nothing crazy. Peacemaker series didn’t even register with until I had some free time this weekend and figured I’d give it a shot. It did not disappoint. So far, it’s hilarious. If you’re on the fence, definitely check it out. They released the first three episodes to start.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Boba Fett is ok, not great but watchable in my opinion.

I think the 2d and 3d episodes of Peacemaker are better than the 1st. Thought they were hilarious.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Boba Fett is a major let down. They should have just let his legend live on. What made him great was mystery and showing up randomly. This has been just whatever. Mandalorian was great because it brought in a fresh new character with a story to be told while bringing in nostalgia characters from the old movies and from clone wars. I think it's too tough for boba fett to live up to expectation and then you add in some weird characters it's been kind of just a big bag of meh. Show would have been better with him as a bounty hunter and being a loan wolf bad *** but they already kind of did that with the mandalorian.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Speaking of super hero stuff.

Did you guys watch Eternals.

I was not that impressed with that movie either.

Shang Chi and the lengend of the ten rings however was really good.

Didn't know much about either going in so didn't have high expectations or anything.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Honestly, Marvel has kinda wore me out with everything they've been releasing lately. Does every character or group have to have a movie?

I haven't watched either of those but the Eternals didn't interest me at all. Shang Chi looked interesting but I just haven't gotten around to watching it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just finished watching "The 100". It was pretty good. I got into it and had to watch every season.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Peacemaker is AWESOME. I’m not a DC guy, but watched Suicide Squad because Gunn’s involvement. Thought it good, but nothing crazy. Peacemaker series didn’t even register with until I had some free time this weekend and figured I’d give it a shot. It did not disappoint. So far, it’s hilarious. If you’re on the fence, definitely check it out. They released the first three episodes to start.

If you have a dark, juvenile sense of humor, Peacemaker is great. If you like Family Guy, Archer, etc., you'll like Peacemaker.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
The mandalorian is everything I thought Boba Fett would be. They wasted the badass boba character on a new story and they don’t know what to do with Boba

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
The Eternals SHOULD have been a D+ series rather than a movie. They tried to tell way too big a story with too big of a cast and the jumping through time was jarring. It was better on a second viewing, but still would have been better in the longer format.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m in the same boat. Loved all the Nolan Batman movies, but I’m not the biggest DC guy overall. I caught Suicide Squad a couple weeks ago, and I thought it was a pretty good popcorn movie, but i wasn’t crazy about it.

Because I thought peacemaker was the unintended star in Suicide Squad, I started watching the series last weekend, and it’s right up my alley. Cena is all in with the character, the supporting cast is great, and even the characters that are trying to take themselves seriously end up being hilarious in one scene or another. I’m loving the show

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The mistake in Boba Fett was getting Robert Rodriguez to direct the the series. The couple of episodes he directed in season 2 of The Mandalorian were very mediocre. I trust Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau for creating and writing but some of the directors are pretty meh.

With that said I’m still enjoying Boba Fett and it isn’t quite what I expected but still solid. It’s also 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I trust Filoni and Favreau to get the story right over the hacks that did the movies.

I thought VIII was terrible. Then I saw IX and had to mentally redefine what terrible means. Rogue One, Solo, and The Mandalorian have all been good to great. I haven't watched Boba Fett yet or any of the cartoons. Everything that happens after the "yub yub" song at the end of VI might as well be high budget fan fiction in my head canon.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I love how IX just starts off with “Oh hey look, the Emperors back.” What the hell? VIII was awful and it brought IX down to its level because it couldn’t get out of the hole. Just awful writing.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I stand by my statement from years ago in that there is absolutely no one likable from the new trilogy aside from Poe.

Then you’ve got Kylo Ren who reminded me the entire time more of that weird dude from Grandma’s Boy than some dark, menacing villain

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Kylo Ren would have been a much better character as Ben Solo.
Then I would imagine that the big bad could have been a a new sith rising up in strength as the republic works to get the galaxy cleansed from the empire. Luke could have been similar to the role of QuiGon Jin and went from place to place breaking up the former empire causing trouble.

We would have been able to see Luke perform amazing force abilities, Kylo could have been like Obi Wan in the original and they could have re-established a new Jedi council with Asoka.

Hell, you could even start a new rebellion with some former empire higher ups and brought a new civil war to forefront with the jedi fighting along side the mandalorians to squash it. Think Thanos and the Avengers type of showdown in the new movie 6.

1st movie - former empire is seizing control of the outer rim. Luke is training Kylo. Asoka and Bridger who has returned is leading a fight against Thrawn who also has returned as the new big bad. Thrawn and his two sith apprentices are forcing worlds to choose sides once again. Thrawn has the remnants of the empire's fleet and is performing terrorist attacks across the galaxy Guerilla Warfare style. Luke and Thrawn have a drag out fight. Thrawn survives after a loss that was a near victory.

2nd movie - Thrawn has a devastating attack on the new Republic capital planet and has luke and Kylo on the run with Han and Leia split between them and Asoka. The entire movie is Thrawn winning, and a constant chase to hunt down Luke. By the time Luke and Kylo gets back to Leia and Asoka, most of the republic has been defeated. Luke and Kylo discover force sensitive people during their flight. Jedi's numbers are growing. Thrawns Siths are also gaining in strength. 2 main siths with death squads of sith under them. It is found out Thrawn is searching for something.

3rd movie - Thrawn has found the former Emperor. His power is all but diminished, Thrawn uses his sith goons to get objects needed to restore the Emperor's power. Luke, Kylo, Asoka, and Bridger find out about the quest and are forced to beat Thrawn to the relics. The emperor succeeds and returns to full strength. He is operating in the shadows until Bridger discovers he is using the space between time to jump to different points in history to make sure his new rise to power will be swift. Bridger and Asoka go into the Space between time to view the damage the emperor is doing.

4th movie - Luke fights the emperor, but Leia dies in the process.

5th movie - Asoka and Bridger take down the death squads, Kylo fights the emperor, Kylo dies.

6th movie - Bridger, Asoka, and Luke fights their way through Thrawn's defenses, gets to the emperor and Luke defeats him through amazing use of the force.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
The Book of Boba Fett is not good so far, which is really disappointing considering how good The Mandalorian has been.

Peacemaker on HBO (spin-off from 2021's The Suicide Squad) has been shockingly great (maybe less shocking if you consider James Gunn's involvement).

Anyone else drowning their post-football sorrows in nerdy TV?

The Book of Boba Fett has been okay so far, but it's not on The Mandalorian's level. It at least has provided some depth to the world of Tatooine, but I think part of the issue is that Fennic Shand is kind of a cookie-cutter character and not very interesting. They've also changed Boba Fett kind of suddenly, like now he's some kind of super-nice guy who just wants to extort money from you - but like, really nicely, ya know?

Even with all that, the only thing that's made me roll my eyes so far has been the "high speed" chase scene with his scooter gang going after the Mayor's aide. I think the max speed reached in that pointless 5 minutes was about 25MPH.

There's still time to pull it out of mediocrity - I thought Falcon and Winter Soldier was pretty meh until about halfway through as well.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
You guys are going to get all wooly when Boba starts banging CGI Leia and sends CGI Han back to spice running in the outer rim.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
Boba has been hit and miss. Ep 2 & 4 have been great, but the 3rd ep was a bit of a let down. Seeing Fennec SHand is never a letdown.
Peacemaker is great! I had a rough idea of what the character would be from seeing Suicide Squad, but James Gunn turned this to 11
Eternals: Uhm.....well if you have 2.5 hours to just blow, then i say go for it. Its ok.
Shang Chi: This is a good fun movie.
Spidey No Way Home: Go see it in the theater. It is a very good movie.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If we go by what’s in the movies and what’s actual canon, we just know that Boba Fett is a bounty hunter and his father is Jengo Fett. Everything else is a dreamed up assumption that he’s some badass bounty hunter that’s an *******.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Kylo Ren would have been a much better character as Ben Solo.
Then I would imagine that the big bad could have been a a new sith rising up in strength as the republic works to get the galaxy cleansed from the empire. Luke could have been similar to the role of QuiGon Jin and went from place to place breaking up the former empire causing trouble.

We would have been able to see Luke perform amazing force abilities, Kylo could have been like Obi Wan in the original and they could have re-established a new Jedi council with Asoka.

Hell, you could even start a new rebellion with some former empire higher ups and brought a new civil war to forefront with the jedi fighting along side the mandalorians to squash it. Think Thanos and the Avengers type of showdown in the new movie 6.

1st movie - former empire is seizing control of the outer rim. Luke is training Kylo. Asoka and Bridger who has returned is leading a fight against Thrawn who also has returned as the new big bad. Thrawn and his two sith apprentices are forcing worlds to choose sides once again. Thrawn has the remnants of the empire's fleet and is performing terrorist attacks across the galaxy Guerilla Warfare style. Luke and Thrawn have a drag out fight. Thrawn survives after a loss that was a near victory.

2nd movie - Thrawn has a devastating attack on the new Republic capital planet and has luke and Kylo on the run with Han and Leia split between them and Asoka. The entire movie is Thrawn winning, and a constant chase to hunt down Luke. By the time Luke and Kylo gets back to Leia and Asoka, most of the republic has been defeated. Luke and Kylo discover force sensitive people during their flight. Jedi's numbers are growing. Thrawns Siths are also gaining in strength. 2 main siths with death squads of sith under them. It is found out Thrawn is searching for something.

3rd movie - Thrawn has found the former Emperor. His power is all but diminished, Thrawn uses his sith goons to get objects needed to restore the Emperor's power. Luke, Kylo, Asoka, and Bridger find out about the quest and are forced to beat Thrawn to the relics. The emperor succeeds and returns to full strength. He is operating in the shadows until Bridger discovers he is using the space between time to jump to different points in history to make sure his new rise to power will be swift. Bridger and Asoka go into the Space between time to view the damage the emperor is doing.

4th movie - Luke fights the emperor, but Leia dies in the process.

5th movie - Asoka and Bridger take down the death squads, Kylo fights the emperor, Kylo dies.

6th movie - Bridger, Asoka, and Luke fights their way through Thrawn's defenses, gets to the emperor and Luke defeats him through amazing use of the force.

Zahn wrote follow up books that were officially recognized by Lucas, but Disney threw them out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Honestly, Marvel has kinda wore me out with everything they've been releasing lately. Does every character or group have to have a movie?

My wife turned me on to a podcast where they tried to buy the rights to 'Doorman' from Marvel and Disney/Marvel wouldn't even consider the offer because of the possibility they might use him in an upcoming project.

Honestly, though... Guardians of the Galaxy was a pretty obscure title and ended up being one of the best Marvel movies.
Winter Soldier wasn't by any means an A-List character and he ended up being a focal point for two of the better Marvel movies: Captain America Winter Soldier and Captain America Civil War.
Black Panther was a known quantity, but he wasn't on the same level as Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, etc. and his movie was nominated for an Oscar for Best Picture.

I think with 83 years of storytelling history and thousands of characters to choose from, you could take any Marvel character, except maybe NFL Superpro, and potentially do a good movie or limited series with them. It really just depends on how the production comes together.

For God's sakes, we haven't even gotten a proper Galactus and Silver Surfer story on screen yet.

I haven't watched either of those but the Eternals didn't interest me at all. Shang Chi looked interesting but I just haven't gotten around to watching it.

They're both on Disney+ now. Neither are the best Marvel movie, but I think they're both watchable. Shang-Chi was a little bit better, more action-packed for sure. Hawkeye has been one of the best things they've done in a really long time.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The Eternals SHOULD have been a D+ series rather than a movie. They tried to tell way too big a story with too big of a cast and the jumping through time was jarring. It was better on a second viewing, but still would have been better in the longer format.

That's the way it looked to me. I couldn't find anyone worth emotional investment. Marvel really messed up with this one especially with the choice of director. It was like watching a bad performance of your local amateur theatre

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Disney owns marvel and Disney likes to print money. If they think they can sell it they will.

I was worried about their being too much done and the some it getting watered down just by sheer volume of series snd movies. So far for the most parts it's been good with a few things just being kind of meh.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Agreed on all counts. They could have told a really great story if they gave themselves time to breathe. They tried to fit 6 hours of content into a 2.5 hour movie.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Disney owns marvel and Disney likes to print money. If they think they can sell it they will.

I was worried about their being too much done and the some it getting watered down just by sheer volume of series snd movies. So far for the most parts it's been good with a few things just being kind of meh.

Right, there hasn't been a 'Batman & Robin' or 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' to kill the franchise, plus they've made it so expansive that if something doesn't work, like Eternals, they can take the hit and go with something completely different the next time around. Ant-Man & the Wasp can have an entirely different tone and pace than Captain America Winter Soldier and still work within the same universe. Even the worst of the group like Thor 2 or Age of Ultron aren't terrible movies by conventional standards.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login