OT: Starkville Chicken Salad Chick

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Has closed. To my knowledge there was no warning given. Just up and shut down. Heard a rumor they are moving to a location downtown, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I wasn't a frequenter of the establishment, but my wife and daughter really liked it. I would usually stop by there once a week and get my daughter a large order of one their salads and she would take it to lunch the rest of the week.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
That building will be another Mexican restaurant by Easter, no sarcastericks because you all know good and well it might happen.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If not Mexican, another dry white meat chicken breast dispensary with secret chicken dunking sauce, frozen crinkle cut fries and slaw made somewhere 500 miles away and trucked in. I've never been in the Chick, my wife goes weekly but she says its never really busy and I seldom see many cars there. I don't do chicken salad so I don't have an opinion on the quality

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've always wondered if CSC would be viable long term in smaller areas. The menu is just so limited.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
If not Mexican, another dry white meat chicken breast dispensary with secret chicken dunking sauce, frozen crinkle cut fries and slaw made somewhere 500 miles away and trucked in. I've never been in the Chick, my wife goes weekly but she says its never really busy and I seldom see many cars there. I don't do chicken salad so I don't have an opinion on the quality

We are about 10 years away from all the women in MS walking around with stainless steel monogramed cups filled with comeback sauce.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The one in Flowood is always packed with MILFs and grannies. I could see why it most likely would fail to catch on in a college town.
The Broken Egg next door is always packed too. I wish they'd stay open for dinner (supper if you're from Leflore/Grenada/Montgomery /Carroll County).

Reactions: CoachT

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
The one in Flowood is always packed with MILFs and grannies. I could see why it most likely would fail to catch on in a college town.
So it's the opposite of a Cook Out, then? That's why it was destined to fail in Starkville.

Reactions: Double Dawg

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Has closed. To my knowledge there was no warning given. Just up and shut down. Heard a rumor they are moving to a location downtown, but I have no idea if that is true or not. I wasn't a frequenter of the establishment, but my wife and daughter really liked it. I would usually stop by there once a week and get my daughter a large order of one their salads and she would take it to lunch the rest of the week.
I was surprised to hear this. I haven’t been there much recently, but it’s one of the places I go (ironically enough) when I’m by myself for lunch because my wife does not like it.
I’m surprised because there were always people there. Not packed out by any means but never empty.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The one in East Memphis is always busy with nice scenery. Lots of 25-35 year old women. I guess there’s not tons of that in Starkville.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
CSC has almost 300 stores in 19 states. If it can't make it in Starkville, it speaks more to Starkville's economic climate than CSC's business model.

The whole concept started at Auburn. I think it is a fascinating entrepreneural story. You can read more about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Salad_Chick

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That building will be another Mexican restaurant by Easter, no sarcastericks because you all know good and well it might happen.
I figured the GOAT economic development powerhouse team would aim higher -- maybe a fried chicken place, Sprint Mart, or a check cashing business as these are in very short supply in Starkville****

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
CSC has almost 300 stores in 19 states. If it can't make it in Starkville, it speaks more to Starkville's economic climate than CSC's business model.

The whole concept started at Auburn. I think it is a fascinating entrepreneural story. You can read more about it here:

TLDR — You have to be a place that at least can eventually support a Target to support CSC…

Hmmm….

A07E584E-448D-49F8-B2E5-534D2BD510C1.jpeg

Yep.

And I’d not even heard of the place.

Edit to add— I even wonder if it would be a Top 25 (non-Robert St John) place to eat in Hattiesburg.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Great story, but it's still chicken-17ing-salad. What's next, the carrot and raisin salad store (which my wife would at on opening day)?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Great story, but it's still chicken-17ing-salad. What's next, the carrot and raisin salad store (which my wife would at on opening day)?
Not argiung the fare. Of course, one could say the same for Mexican food, burgers/fry joints, pub food, etc.

Menus are typically a demographics play, but restaurants typically specialize. Also, most restaurants are already banker's high-risk venture from a loan perspective -- which makes speciality restaurants even a higher risk

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login