OT: Stop 2 Pittsburgh?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Looking for second stop to my Mem - NY trip. Bardstown is set for day 1. Pittsburgh is pretty much in the middle of there to NY. I have never been. No Interest in seeing Pirates play.

So what to do in Pittsburgh or is there a better stop? Morgantown?

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Pittsburgh is a cool city.
Obviously if you have a chance to see the Pirates you do that, - Mullens Bar before or after the game, lunch at Primanti Bros, take the Incline rail line up to get some great views of the city and there are some good restaurant options there as well depending on what you want.
Edited to say I just realized you said no to Pirates game but still a great stop for a 24 hours or so.
Stay in a hotel in downtown between the rivers.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If the Mets were in town, it would be a no-brainer for me, but the Cubs are there. My wife doesn't really want to go so it is a non-starter.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
We do a business trip there every year. Almost routine if we are in for one day.

Stay at Hilton Garden downtown. Primanti for lunch. Walk to the porch for dinner. Go to Church Brew works then go down by the stadium for a game or hit a bar down there.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If the Mets were in town, it would be a no-brainer for me, but the Cubs are there. My wife doesn't really want to go so it is a non-starter.

I can understand wanting to keep the wife happy. All I’ll say is PNC Park is one of the best baseball stadiums I’ve ever been to. With that said, I’m sure even without a baseball game, you can find a nice restaurant to visit. I was much younger but I remember enjoying downtown Pittsburgh and the area around the university of Pittsburgh (I think it’s called Oakland maybe)

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Go eat at the monterey fish grotto. Incredible food overlooking the intersection of the rivers. Beautiful

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
If you're in Pitt, you might as well travel up to Niagara Falls as well as a few other touristy stuff up here.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have been to Niagara Falls a few times. Last time was about 10 years ago. It's lovely up there, but is way out of the way for this trip since I have to go to Long Island.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've heard the Warhol Museum is outstanding, if you're interested in art.

AleutianIslandawg

Oct 8, 2021
Glad you started this thread. Looks like we'll be in Pittsburgh at or around the same time, I'll be seeing the Cubs @ Pirates on 6/21. My morning jacket concert on the 22nd. Been researching other things to do things to do. I'd searched restaurants and came across Monterey Fish Gratto, glad to see another poster give it a stamp of approval. I'd been to eat at burgatory when in Pittsburgh a few years back, I'd certainly go again.
Other options I'm considering are
-renting a car and going to see Falling water
-Phipps conservatory and botanical gardens
-Carnegie museum of natural science
-Pittsburgh Zoo and aquarium

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I know we have airplanes but I am not sure I want to eat at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto in Pittsburgh. Maybe in Monterey or San Francisco I would do that. That's like eating New York Pizza in Mississippi, Memphis BBQ in Boston or Cajun food anywhere other than South Louisiana. If you live in that town it's a good option, but not for a visitor.

I would look more to a Pierogie place or Primanti's Sammich. Guess I can put Heinz 57 on a steak

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I know we have airplanes but I am not sure I want to eat at Monterey Bay Fish Grotto in Pittsburgh. Maybe in Monterey or San Francisco I would do that. That's like eating New York Pizza in Mississippi, Memphis BBQ in Boston or Cajun food anywhere other than South Louisiana. If you live in that town it's a good option, but not for a visitor.

I would look more to a Pierogie place or Primanti's Sammich. Guess I can put Heinz 57 on a steak
Bulldog Bruce is absolutely correct on this one!
When in Rome do as the Romans.

DISTRICT DOG

Nov 28, 2008
I have lived in Pittsburgh since 2015. There is a lot to do outside of the Pirates game, although I would highly recommend going to a game just to see the stadium.

A couple things to do...You could easily walk from the PNC park to Heinz field and visit the Steelers Hall of Honor (see all the super bowl trophy's, players lockers, etc), there are some pretty cool bars around there to stop in and get a drink at. There are a few museaums you can check out on the N. Shore (Andy Warhol). You can walk the bridge over to Point State Park, and then right into downtown. I would go to Market Square and check out all the shops around that area, and I'd also highly recommend going to the Strip District while you are in town for lunch.

Lawrenceville or Shadyside have some great places to eat and drink at, they are both pretty fun for a night out.

You could actually take the ferry from the South Side to the North Shore and start your day that way, it's a really fun time. I definitely would avoid the South Side at night time though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login