OT: Streaming Platforms. Whatcha got?

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I just got Starlink Internet installed yesterday-been paying DirecTV right at $300/month for years. It just keeps going up in price every month. I’ve never been able to stream before because my only internet availability was AT&T Direct Wireless or Viasat, HughesNet, etc. With those low data caps it wasn’t feasible to stream.

This Starlink is fast, and there are no data caps. My question is, what’s the better way to go-YouTube TV or Hulu? Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.

Ash189

Oct 8, 2014
Each year, I do a new sweep of the different services to see who is cheapest. SlingTV is significantly cheaper than the competition (I think $51/month to get Orange + sports package for SEC Network). I don’t mind the clunkier interface because I pretty much only stream games through the ESPN app. Bonus tip: the ESPN app on Apple TV allows up to four games on the screen simultaneously. It’s awesome.

I’ve also had YouTubeTV, and it’s amazing. I just don’t want to spend $20/month more

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
Youtube TV is cheaper at the moment. Also with it you can watch it from three different locations if you are using a Roku or Firestick. (None of them care about phones, iPads, etc.) With Hulu if you were to go on vacation and take it with you it will make you change your "home" location. You can do that four or five times a year.

We have Youtube TV. Log into the ESPN app with your Youtube TV credentials and you can watch pretty much any sports you would want, SEC-wise anyway. If you want to watch anything on ESPN Plus, it's just five bucks a month.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m about a year into ditching Direct and streaming. You Tube TV for live stuff and sports. We have Prime Video because Mrs already was an Amazon Prime member. Paramount plus is the only other thing I pay for. I currently have a Netflix and a Max account logged in on my main TV because someone logged in on their account and failed to log out. I watch a good bit of both but I don’t know if I’d pay for it. I sometimes watch FreeVee, it’s free, just for nostalgia.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've got YouTubetv. I would drop it, but the ESPN app requires a provider. Most any of the live platforms are virtually the same. Go with the cheapest.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I tried Hulu a short time ago and really liked the set up. At the time you got ESPN+ with it. No AMC tho. But you can't use it in more than one location(I have a vacation condo) so I'm with Youtube TV as I can use it in both locations.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I just got Starlink Internet installed yesterday-been paying DirecTV right at $300/month for years. It just keeps going up in price every month. I’ve never been able to stream before because my only internet availability was AT&T Direct Wireless or Viasat, HughesNet, etc. With those low data caps it wasn’t feasible to stream.

This Starlink is fast, and there are no data caps. My question is, what’s the better way to go-YouTube TV or Hulu? Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me.
I’ve had YouTubeTV for about 4 years now. I was really hesitant to try streaming because I’d heard horror stories of buffering and other issues, and I’ll be honest… we did run into some issues during the first football season, mainly because I think they just didn’t have the capacity to handle the spike of millions of TVs flipping on all at once during kickoff weekend.

However, it’s been great ever since then. We get some kind of bonus through TMobile, so we’re still paying around $65/mo, and that’s for 3 screens, unlimited DVR, and all the non-premium channels. The interface can be customized so that all your favorite channels pop up first, and it’s really nice to be able to use it on the go at times from your phone or a weekend hotel, cabin, etc.

About the only knock on them I have is that they don’t carry the regional Bally channels, but if my bill would need to go up by $15-20/mo to get them, I’m fine without

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I pay for fiber internet from 4 County, that's it. My kids are out on their own BUT are still on my cell phone plan. I told them they could share the passwords w/ me for every streaming service and premium channels they have, or, they could start paying for their own cell phone plans. I can get all kinds of channels now and it costs me maybe an extra $50/mo to have their 2 phones on my plan. I figure its a pretty good deal for me and I've got more tv than I can possibly watch. Funny thing is I watch way more free stuff than pay stuff they have made available to me. YouTube channel, Freevee, Pluto, Xumo, Roku Channel, Tubi, Crackle, Sling Freestream, Vudu, Peacock, etc. Plus I added an antenna and so I've got the networks covered too. Don't have a DVR but don't need it when you can watch the replays for free the next day on those channels anyway.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
I have Sling, but HuluLive is nice, too. Best thing is you can try each of them out a month or so at a time and make your decision because of no contracts......

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The answer for this topic every time is YouTube TV and will always be that answer until ESPN/SEC Network go direct to customers.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
The answer for this topic every time is YouTube TV and will always be that answer until ESPN/SEC Network go direct to customers.
Can you get high definition reception with YouTubeTV

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Can you get high definition reception with YouTubeTV
yes on all channels. you can also get 4k for $20 extra if you want it, currently on these channels and more will be added later this year
  • Discovery
  • ESPN
  • FOX Sports
  • FX
  • Nat Geo
  • NBC Sports
  • Tastemade
  • NBA TV

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login