OT: T-Mobile, how is your experience?

AlSwearengen

Aug 22, 2012
We have to get away from AT&T. I’ve seen reports of some dead spots in a few BFE locations, which probably wouldn’t be a deal killer for me, I don’t think.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We have to get away from AT&T. I’ve seen reports of some dead spots in a few BFE locations, which probably wouldn’t be a deal killer for me, I don’t think.

T mobile sucks ***. Avoid at all costs.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
OK in the city but may not work inside buildings. Outside cities don't get more than a mile or so off the interstate, you will lose data and voice.

ETA: Before committing to T-mobile I'd recommend putting a phone on Metro or Mint prepaid and see what the service is like.

Last edited:

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Left Consumer Cellular for T Mobile two months ago because of spotty connections. Needless to say, T Mobile has not impressed. Dead spots are common and I live in the Dallas area. Can't get more urban than that.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
T mobile sucks ***. Avoid at all costs.

This. I have a friend that lives in freaking Los Angeles that bought a phone through T mobile and had to just pay it off and pay all the penalties because they said if was unusable. If they can’t even provide decent service to a major city like that you can forget it here.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have them because we are over 55 and two lines = $70 a month with unlimited everything. I need to upgrade my phone though so I will have to take a look. No contract either. 17 ATT

catvet

May 11, 2009
I wanted to get away from AT & T. Good advice to get a prepaid phone for a month. I can't tell how terrible T Mobile and C Spire are. Dead areas everywhere. Verizon is very good in the cities and interstates, but will not be helpful in rural areas. Sadly, I'm stuck with AT & T because they actually provide service in the rural areas I go to.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
I wanted to get away from AT & T. Good advice to get a prepaid phone for a month. I can't tell how terrible T Mobile and C Spire are. Dead areas everywhere. Verizon is very good in the cities and interstates, but will not be helpful in rural areas. Sadly, I'm stuck with AT & T because they actually provide service in the rural areas I go to.

I know this sounds cliche but it just depends on where you live and travel too. I have both metro by T-Mobile and an ATT LINE. I travel all over and find they are both pretty comparable on coverage. ATT seems to have a little more coverage but they both do better than Verizon.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I loathe ATT.
We switched to Tmobile about 3 years ago and it's fine. Coverage in central Tx is good, just not as much in remote areas. Driving to Ms or Co, there are a few dead zones but it's great in the cities.
We have 4 lines for $100 and they pay for netflix.
17 att.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004

That’s odd based on my experience. I bought a Verizon hot spot because it is the only service that works at my houseboat in the boonies on the Pascagoula - CSpire and ATT have zero bars there. My son also uses it to stream stuff when I take him to games in Starkville. Verizon is the only service that works on the stretch of highway from Lucedale to Waynesboro.

Average AF

Apr 18, 2018
I tried T mobile in meridian and it was trash, so i switched to cricket 3 years ago with no issues. Cricket is owned by att so the service is should be the same. They do the flat fee no tax thing like t mobile. I was told the only difference is if towers get loaded down cricket and pre pay get dropped first, before regular att customers. I travel a lot and have never been dropped.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Something has happened to Verizon in North Ms. up until about two months ago I had full bar service at my home and I could set in the stands in DWS and steam other games during our game. Not any more. Now I have 1-2 bars at home and a friend sent me a text during the game Thursday and I didn’t get it until hours after the game was over. Cellular service has been the only internet service we have had for years and while it’s never been fiber fast it has been serviceable, lately it reminds me of dial up. It’s almost unusable.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Had ok service with AT&T and Verizon but was tired of paying $110/mo for two lines with lots of data. I switched to PureTalk and bought two new phones outright. With 6G of data each my total bill is $60/mo. Puretalk uses AT&T towers. We travel a lot and the service is ok, even in the New Hampshire hills (mountains to us southerns). Live in Memphis area.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Could not even send a text at Davis Wade on Thursday night, much less get a decent internet feed

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've got 4 AT&T lines, 2 mostly in Starkville/Jackson area, 1 in TN and one all over N MS and none of us have any problems. I had a work T-Mobile phone and it was terrible, EVERYWHERE. I don't care how good the price is and what free crap they offer if the phone doesn't work then it's not worth it. Think about it, there's a reason they give free crap away
with their service becausee if they had to depend strictly on their phone service they'd be in trouble

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
That’s odd based on my experience. I bought a Verizon hot spot because it is the only service that works at my houseboat in the boonies on the Pascagoula - CSpire and ATT have zero bars there. My son also uses it to stream stuff when I take him to games in Starkville. Verizon is the only service that works on the stretch of highway from Lucedale to Waynesboro.

Surprised anything works there......that is the definition of the middle of nowhere.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This is my experience as well. Had ATT and couldn’t get anything on 98 @ Lucedale or the stretch between Meridian and Starkville. I can stream straight through with little problems with Verizon now. For the OP there is a discussion on Nextdoor about T-Mobile and it is 90% trashing them.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Don’t waste you effort or money with TMobile. They don’t have any infrastructure-they lease all their tower space from third parties or from ATT. If you live in a big city you may be fine, but if you’re in a rural area, forget about it. TMobile has its target-large metropolitan areas with high populations. They are a GSM network like ATT, so they can lease space from ATT towers. If those towers get loaded with heavy traffic, TMobile customers are going to get bumped because ATT customers have priority. As a TMobile customer you are always going to be at the “last in line” as far as priority-which means you are going to drop calls or get the dreaded “no signal” on your device. If ATT decided to end its lease arrangements with TMobile, TMobile would be out of business the following day. I don’t like ATT (I used to work for them) or Verizon-but if you want the most reliable (I know, they aren’t very reliable) service, those 2 are always going to be the lesser evils out there.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I loathe ATT.
We switched to Tmobile about 3 years ago and it's fine. Coverage in central Tx is good, just not as much in remote areas. Driving to Ms or Co, there are a few dead zones but it's great in the cities.
We have 4 lines for $100 and they pay for netflix.
17 att.

Looking at those maps I can see why T-Mobile doesn't do well in Mississippi or the more rural states. Like you said around Central Texas it does just fine and I was tired of paying $150 bill every month.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
One other thing to remember-cell phone companies don’t share towers. Just because you see a tower close by that’s not an indication that you can get service from that tower. If you are an ATT customer you aren’t going to get service from that Verizon tower across the pasture (or the street) from where you live. In the first place, their networks are not compatible and in the second place, even if they were compatible they are competitors. I just know that there are people who mistakenly believe that if they are within sight of a tower that they should have service. That’s not true. It doesn’t work that way.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Where are you located? And what areas do you need coverage? We have 70-80 company phones and have to use different carriers depending on where. We use att, cspire and verizon but different places require different carriers

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login