OT: Talladega

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
My five year old has become obsessed with NASCAR, so looking at taking him to Talladega later this month for the cup race. Any tips on seating, parking, etc?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sit as high up as possible on the front stretch. Lower level seats will only give you a view of the backstretch, turn 1, and turn 4.

Parking is whatever. You'll have to walk a mile unless you want to get there at 7am. Also count on sitting in traffic for an hour plus after the race.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Get there several hours early! Been one time and it was fun. If you want to splurge a bit, buy the passes that let you go down to Pit Row prior to the race. It was worth it to me to see the cars up close and then they do the drivers walkout and announcements. The year I went, Ricky Stenhouse and Danica Patrick were a "thang" and it was kind of fun seeing him as a driver who's hometown was Olive Branch, MS. Ricky and my son played football together at OB Jr. High.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sit as high up as possible on the front stretch. Lower level seats will only give you a view of the backstretch, turn 1, and turn 4.

Parking is whatever. You'll have to walk a mile unless you want to get there at 7am. Also count on sitting in traffic for an hour plus after the race.
You know, I had heard the higher up seats gave you the best view of the entire race loop, but I wanted to be down closer to the cars near the finish line to see and hear them zip by. Just wanted a feel for how fast.....fast really is. So, I got the highest row of the lower level and was able to see about 75% of the track plus be relatively near the cars. Everyone has their preference, but I enjoyed it thoroughly except for the finish. There was a wreck about a lap early and it ended up being no dash at the end for the checkered flag. The cars all had to remain in the positions they were in after the crash. So, no drama at the end.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Echo this. Sit down low and you'll be cramped and end up spitting up little bits of tire rubber that get in your drink.

Highly recommend sitting up high so you can actually see the racing. Down low all you see is a big blur, with some shirtless mulletted redneck with a Miller Lite pumping his fist in the air like he actually knows what he's seeing.

And like others said above, it is LOUD.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I've been to Talladega once. It was back in the prime of Jeff Gordan's career and of course he was hated there. Words can't express the hatred for him at Talladega. So of course that is who I was cheering for. The entire race Gordon was just hanging on to staying on the lead lap and Earnhardt was to 5. Then with around 20 laps remaining all the cars flew by but one. There was a collective silence so palpable you would thought you were at a funeral when the number 3 came limping by smoking with a blown engine. I had consumed just enough liquid courage to not GAF so I turned to the guy who had been the most obnoxious the entire race and made the following statement:

Excuse me. I'm new to this sport and this is my first race. Are the cars supposed to sound like that?

He was so close to literally breaking down in tears he couldn't even respond. Gordon ended up finishing second.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Honestly I think it might be too much for a five year old to handle. It's loud, way louder than on TV. The ground shakes when the freight train comes by.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You know, I had heard the higher up seats gave you the best view of the entire race loop, but I wanted to be down closer to the cars near the finish line to see and hear them zip by. Just wanted a feel for how fast.....fast really is. So, I got the highest row of the lower level and was able to see about 75% of the track plus be relatively near the cars. Everyone has their preference, but I enjoyed it thoroughly except for the finish. There was a wreck about a lap early and there ended up being no dash at the end for the checkered flag. The cars all had to remain in the positions they ended up in after the crash. So, no drama at the end.
Just thinking of the kid. On the lower level, you cannot see the cars below you because of the steepness of the embankment.

Honestly, the superspeedways are some of the worst tracks to go to because of sight lines. As much as the 1.5 tracks suck, they are the best for viewing. You can damn near see 99% of the action at tracks like TX and ATL. Boring races, but great sight lines.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Haven’t been since 2006, so I’m sure it’s changed. We always stayed in campground across hwy and walked to and from track. Yes it’s a hike. Surely it’s an Uber or something available now.

We usually watched race from Allison grandstand on backstretch, which is not even there now.

Had pit/garage passes for a couple of races too. That’s a wonderful experience and is highly recommended. Just remember, that before qualifying they are focused on qualifying and try to limit photos or autographs. After qualifying it’s a totally different atmosphere. Even race day before race is relaxed compared to pre-qualifying.

That last race I actually flew in with a cousin to the next door airport. Pretty cool being able to be back home (MS Delta) by 9 pm post race, instead of fighting traffic at about Birmingham at about that time.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I'll echo a lot of what has already been posted... Any seating in the top tier is best to be able to see the whole track. Middle of the tri-oval toward the finish line is best but even the seats coming out of turn 4 are fine. If you want the "speed experience" you can always walk down to the fence for a lap or two, you just have to keep moving.

If you are up high, hearing protection isn't a must IMO. Pack racing means peak Db's only once every 30 seconds or so, and up high it's not that loud. Obviously you should take some plugs to be on the safe side.

I prefer camping when I go and from the emails I've gotten there seems to be plenty of spots available this year. If that's not in your plans then go (very) early to get decent parking and prepare to be in traffic for quite a while after. Everything is a LONG walk away. Be ready for that too. Lots to see and do before the race. Hope y'all have a great time!

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Sit up high and and take the kid down low (if you can still do that) for a lap or two. Down low it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up when they come by but if you're there long you'll be covered in rubber dust and little chunks of rubber. The smell of the hot exhaust is also cool (for a while).

Also: Don't dress too nice....people will look at you funny **

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I've been to Talladega once. It was back in the prime of Jeff Gordan's career and of course he was hated there. Words can't express the hatred for him at Talladega. So of course that is who I was cheering for. The entire race Gordon was just hanging on to staying on the lead lap and Earnhardt was to 5. Then with around 20 laps remaining all the cars flew by but one. There was a collective silence so palpable you would thought you were at a funeral when the number 3 came limping by smoking with a blown engine. I had consumed just enough liquid courage to not GAF so I turned to the guy who had been the most obnoxious the entire race and made the following statement:

Excuse me. I'm new to this sport and this is my first race. Are the cars supposed to sound like that?

He was so close to literally breaking down in tears he couldn't even respond. Gordon ended up finishing second.
In those days the whole grandstand would stand and flip Gordon off every damn lap when he came by.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
In those days the whole grandstand would stand and flip Gordon off every damn lap when he came by.
Yep. But what got me were the people standing with signs on the road into the raceway saying Fans Against Gordon. I'll let you look at the first letter of each word. But what those Mensa members didn't realize that their signs and shirts weren't calling Gordon that. The dumbasses were calling themselves that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Took a bunch of cub scouts several years ago. We camped and had a great time. I don't like to be crowded, so i concur with sitting up high. Very friendly crowd, didn't see anything get out of hand, even though it was crowded and there wasn't much direction or organization. I practice ALE (always leave early), so I didn't have to worry about the traffic, in fact there were several wrecks and cautions after i left and I was back inside the 'Sip before the checkered flag.

Whatever kind of headsets listen in on the driver radio traffic, I'd certainly invest in that.

It's going to be a ton of walking so be prepared for that.

Feb 4, 2015
Been many times and the upper deck bleachers are more expensive. you can sit on the lower level but sit at the higher rows if you can still get tickets on those rows this late in the game. those seats will put you right at or just above the catch fence which is good because its hard to see the cars coming at you down the tri oval in the fence sight line and you can still see some of the back stretch. We used to go to the infield for three days back in the nineties and thats somewhere you would never carry a child. Lots of boob flashing even in broad daylight and im telling you, some of those women you didnt want to see their boobs lol. Hope yall enjoy.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
5 seconds of blurry speeding thunder

Followed by

40 seconds of boredom
X188

And yes earplugs for the little ones.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
with some shirtless mulletted redneck with a Miller Lite pumping his fist in the air like he actually knows what he's seeing.
Be prepared for him to see a lot of this regardless of where you sit, although yeah - it is worse down lower.

I remember one year we had great seats but it was scorching hot. Went to the busch race on Saturday and had a group of muddy, drunk rednecks on the row in front of us that absolutely reeked. We had the same seats on Sunday, and I'll be damned if that same group doesn't show up - even muddier and haven't changed clothes or showered from the day before. Never know what you'll encounter there.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve been twice. Once when I was about 12 or 13 and another time when I was at state. For obvious reasons, when I was old enough to drink was more fun!

Im not a huge nascar or racing guy but I had a lot of fun both times. Echo what others have said, sitting up higher is better. Although I’ll say, I was blown away by just how big the track is. I remember not really being able to see cars on the other side of the track. First time I went, we sat on the backstretch. I had to basically follow Gordon’s bright rainbow car to see the other side of the track.

Lots of fun… great people watching. With a 5 year old, you likely won’t make it the entire race, but I bet you are anticipating that anyway.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Slight highjack:

A have a tent that I use occasionally from time to time. Before 2019, it hadn’t been used since 2005, got it out for a Scout campout and it smelt strongly like a Dega campfire. Folks will burn anything that will burn over there.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
My five year old has become obsessed with NASCAR, so looking at taking him to Talladega later this month for the cup race. Any tips on seating, parking, etc?

Take him to the Xfinity series race on Saturday. Cheaper, shorter race, less crowds , sit anywhere you want, as loud and fast as a NASCAR series race.. At 5 he won't know the difference.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yep. But what got me were the people standing with signs on the road into the raceway saying Fans Against Gordon. I'll let you look at the first letter of each word. But what those Mensa members didn't realize that their signs and shirts weren't calling Gordon that. The dumbasses were calling themselves that.
I love the fact that they hated him so bad but he did so well. That Jeff Gordon vs Dale Earnhardt + Everyone Else Racing = Great Racing, rivalry helped make NASCAR where it is today. It's a shame we don't have something like that today. I am really glad they make changes to the cars to make them safer, but they have really hamstrung the drivers now to where the races do not have the same drama that we used to have on the tracks.

If I went to a race it would be Talladega or Daytona. I wouldn't mind visiting some of the short tracks like Bristol. It's always fun to watch that race. I can care less about the road races but they just keep adding more which is why I usually quit watching after Charlotte. I haven't looked at the new schedule, so I may be tuning out after Talladega.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Take him to the Xfinity series race on Saturday. Cheaper, shorter race, less crowds , sit anywhere you want, as loud and fast as a NASCAR series race.. At 5 he won't know the difference.
Underrated comment.

Maybe go in the kiddy pool first to see what he thinks?

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Not much to add beyond what has been said. Either bring $ for the merchandise trailers or avoid them altogether if you'd rather not buy him a $40 t shirt. It's too late for this year I understand, but a friend who goes every year chooses the fall race in October just because it tends to be a little cooler.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Not much to add beyond what has been said. Either bring $ for the merchandise trailers or avoid them altogether if you'd rather not buy him a $40 t shirt. It's too late for this year I understand, but a friend who goes every year chooses the fall race in October just because it tends to be a little cooler.
I'm not sure you can even walk into the track anymore without passing the merchandise trailers.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Went twice during my time at State. At some point during it you have to go down to the fence and get right up on them as they whizz by. Make sure you have earplugs AND earmuffs, and it's still deafeningly loud, but you gotta experience that at least once when the pack comes by. It's absolutely insane how fast those guys go while staying bumper to bumper the entire time.

With a small kid, sit as high as you can as others have said. The more of the track he can see the cars on, the better. The good thing about these big races is there's long stretches of time where not a ton happens excitement wise, so take breaks from the sun in the concourses. Imagine an 11 AM football game in Week 2 at DWS. Surrounded by aluminum and concrete, sun beating down, it's hot as hell. Water and shade breaks will be a must.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Maybe... but you would be amazed at how obsessed some kids get with this stuff. My kids never paid much attention, but at that age one of their friends could list off every driver of every Monster Jam truck, where they were from, what other trucks they had driven, etc.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Thanks for all of the responses.
We thought about the xfinity race, but he definitely knows the difference (one of his favorite Christmas presents was a Garret Smithley die cast; that’s how detailed he knows the drivers). And he can sit and watch an entire race at home; he’ll use legos and blocks to make his own version of that day’s track and run his cars thru.
The fall race is October 1 this year so we worried that would be even hotter than the April one.
He’s not fazed by concerts, monster jam, and sec football games, so we think he’ll do fine with the noise with his earphones.
We would definitely sit up higher. we r trying to decide about the garage experience and whether to book tickets thru the Talladega site or one of the cheaper resale outlets. Mom and big sister will likely tag along.

#ShowOff

Jun 21, 2013

I am a NASCAR fan. I've been to Talladega probably more times than anyone on this board...(12 races I think) I go to 2-3 races a year and went to the Daytona 500 back in February and will be going to Dover and Darlington this year.

Here's what I recommend--

Tickets: I would recommend tickets in the Thornton Tower. I believe NASCAR has deals for kids under 12 at $10 ticket. Thornton Tower is near the Start/Finish line at Dega and you will be able to see the whole track and the cars that coming off of pit-road. I would recommend that are where it is not as expensive as middle of the tri-oval and you want your son to see the cars come off of pit-road.

Parking: There will be fields to park in when you come in...just remember where you parked. If the green flag is at 1:20pm...I'd get there and park no later than 11am. Prepare to walk...you'll probably be out towards Turns 3-4 area when you park and will have to walk a ways to your seats closer to Turn 1 if you do the Thornton Tower.

Bring a carrying back-pack cooler. You will be doing quite a bit of walking and it's a life-saver. You can bring in drinks...water/gatorade/alcohol...just no glass. Pack some snacks and food in there for you and your son. I usually bring granola bars and make sandwiches or even stop at a sandwich place in the morning---Subway/whatever for food to bring in. You can save quite a bit of money doing this.

Bring sunscreen.

When you park, I recommend going straight to one of the REI headset rentals. Do this for you and your son. I highly recommend it. Listening to Motor Racing Network on the scanners during the race and switching the radio to a driver channel and listening to them and their spotter is worth it. It will change the way you view a NASCAR race. The racing at Talladega and Daytona where they are running 195mph and inches apart and the spotter is constantly talking to his driver. I think the rental would be around $45-$65. And you drop it off after the race.

Take your son to the 18-wheeler merchandise area. Walk around there and look at the merch and get something for your son...he'll remember that experience when he gets older.

Traffic in-and-out of Talladega is not bad anymore. They removed the backstretch grandstands around 2012. The late 90s and early 00s traffic was bad...a lot of people in one spot....you would wait for hours getting out. Not the case anymore.

Scanner Headsets/earplugs/back-pack cooler with drinks/food and tickets off of the exit of pit road up in the Towers sections. Do this.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Back in the day my wife and I were huge NASCAR fans. Before kids we traveled to a lot of tracks and races. That was sorta our vacations. I loved Dega and Daytona and we had season tickets. I bet it has been 15 years since I have watched a race. Unless routes have changed getting into and out of the track on raceday was a lot quicker coming in from the South. I believe we started south on Hwy 280 to Sylacauga and took 21 up from there to Jackson Trace Road.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Showoff has a great suggestion on the scanners. We attended so many races back in the day we just bought our own set. They still sit in the top of my closet. They use to give you a sheet or you could search online and find you drivers favorite channel codes, enter them into the scanner and listen to only the folks you wanted to listen to. https://www.speedwaydigest.com/index.php/scanner-frequencies/nascar-cup-series-frequencies

The scanner will also help with the noise from the cars.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Lets Go GIF

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Back in the day my wife and I were huge NASCAR fans. Before kids we traveled to a lot of tracks and races. That was sorta our vacations. I loved Dega and Daytona and we had season tickets. I bet it has been 15 years since I have watched a race. Unless routes have changed getting into and out of the track on raceday was a lot quicker coming in from the South. I believe we started south on Hwy 280 to Sylacauga and took 21 up from there to Jackson Trace Road.
Great advice. That is still the case.

Just know they lock everything down for about 30-60 mins immediately after the race to let drivers and owners out. They head west to the airport. Family Blvd is jammed for an hour after the race. Don't park around turn 3.

Leaving early sometimes doesn't work. If Chase Elliot crashes early in the race, a lot of fans will be thinking the same as you are. And tons of early leavers will clog up the road anyway. Just embrace the suck. Traffic will stink.

Lastly, Dega security can be sticklers about coolers. Technically 14x14x14 and soft-sided is what is allowed. Some entrances have metal forms that you have to be able to cram your cooler into. If it doesn't fit, you have to empty drinks until it does.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
My dad took me to Talladega when I was 14 in 1977. The women had teeth like pearls (very rare) tattoos were required and shoes optional. I spent more time looking for boob flashing than the racing.

It was a much different crowd in the late 70s and early 80s. You just pitched a tent wherever and camped out. I saw some serious *** kicking in some fights. This was pre corporate NASCAR and it was like a southeast redneck pilgramage. It was awesome. Corporate America and ESPN ruined it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Old guy story. The last time I went to Dega, Mark Martin was driving the Viagra car. Some redneck Martin fan was wearing a big ole rubber penis for a cap sitting about halfway between me and the track. Martin received a penalty on the first lap and had to go through pit road putting him half a lap behind the pack. When the pack cam by everyone stood up and then sat back down as they all passed. When Martin approached us this big ole dick would rise out of the crowd cheering. It was hilarious.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Bingo. Overall easier and probably a better time.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Agreed! This is actually MUCH better idea than going on Sunday...

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Old guy story. The last time I went to Dega, Mark Martin was driving the Viagra car. Some redneck Martin fan was wearing a big ole rubber penis for a cap sitting about halfway between me and the track. Martin received a penalty on the first lap and had to go through pit road putting him half a lap behind the pack. When the pack cam by everyone stood up and then sat back down as they all passed. When Martin approached us this big ole dick would rise out of the crowd cheering. It was hilarious.
I was at that race too. I remember that. That was the October race in 2002.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login