OT: Tax question for you tax guys.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I hope I can ask the question correctly but here I go. Example: 75-year-old receives state retirement and fully retired. Does Social Security Administration consider that income and if so and it is more than 25K will that cause him to owe taxes on his Social Security Benefit?

Reactions: jdbulldog

patdog

May 28, 2007
To the extent the pension income is taxable, it counts towards the earnings limits. I'm nearing retirement and have been trying to figure out a way to make my social security not taxable by doing massive Roth conversions. But the limits are so low, and massive conversions just push you into higher tax brackets. I've just about given up and accepted that my social security will be taxable. But I haven't done a lot of research, so maybe there is a way.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I hope I can ask the question correctly but here I go. Example: 75-year-old receives state retirement and fully retired. Does Social Security Administration consider that income and if so and it is more than 25K will that cause him to owe taxes on his Social Security Benefit?
Yes. Up to 85% of the social security will be taxable.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
To the extent the pension income is taxable, it counts towards the earnings limits. I'm nearing retirement and have been trying to figure out a way to make my social security not taxable by doing massive Roth conversions. But the limits are so low, and massive conversions just push you into higher tax brackets. I've just about given up and accepted that my social security will be taxable. But I haven't done a lot of research, so maybe there is a way.
Thanks for the info. Finding answer on the Government site for little stuff like what is considered income is hard to find on the Government Website. I am sure it's there just don't know where to look.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
You are correct I just didn't know correct words to get the question out.
It’s difficult. But I Googled it (seriously better than tax research software in a lot of cases for a CPA), and the IRS worksheet specifically included taxable pension benefits in the taxability worksheet.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
It’s difficult. But I Googled it (seriously better than tax research software in a lot of cases for a CPA), and the IRS worksheet specifically included taxable pension benefits in the taxability worksheet.
any income- earned or unearned - can cause soc sec to be taxable

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
As far as the SS earnings test, generally speaking only earned income from work counts. As long as he paid SS taxes on his state pension, it will not impact SS (in some states, certain state employees don't pay into SS). Taxability is a much more complicated issue. If approaching age 63 and you want to take out some large 401K distributions or make other major financial moves, read up on IRMAA.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
They don’t affect the amount of your benefits. They do affect the taxability of your benefits. It’s more complicated than it should be.
So that is talking about earned income penalty and not the 0/50/85% taxability depending on the amount of taxable income received?

patdog

May 28, 2007
So that is talking about earned income penalty and not the 0/50/85% taxability depending on the amount of taxable income received?
Right. Like I said it’s complicated. And nothing compared to how complicated Medicare is. I tried to help my mom with hers a few months ago & im completely lost as to what the best choices are. The fact we expect elderly people to navigate this maze is inexcusable.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Sad that social security is taxed in the first place.

Most elderly people that are only drawing social security and nothing else don’t have to file a return. It’s usually only when they have social security plus other income. But I definitely think your point is a fair one.

I’ve been doing tax work for almost a decade now and I can tell you that one of the groups that seems to get hit the hardest on tax filing is newly retired folks in their 60’s or 70’s. That first year or two of retirement is a big change for most. Definitely recommend anyone considering retirement to meet with their accountant and/or financial guy just to go over the tax implications of it all based on what your retirement setup is.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
If a 75-year-old has an IRA then they should make all their charitable contributions through their IRA directly. This lowers your tax bracket and can also lower your IRMMA penalty.

Aug 22, 2012
What is stopping us from moving to either a flat tax or a national sales tax. I would guess that a flat tax would be the way to go, but politics gets in the way. Would love to hear all opinions on this one

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What is stopping us from moving to either a flat tax or a national sales tax. I would guess that a flat tax would be the way to go, but politics gets in the way. Would love to hear all opinions on this one
Votes. Most people aren't high income. They tend not to vote in a regressive tax on their lower incomes. Even if you did manage to implement one, it would also need a tax return system as you wouldn't want those taxes applied towards your poverty level of income/spending to offset some of the regressive nature. That or we mail checks to everyone to credit them back that amount - that's a bad idea also.

Edit: I'd be warm to a more simplified system with moderately tiered tax rates, but then you have the battle of what income adjustments/deductions stay and go (see current SALT discussion). People claim to be for a simple system but when they lose their _______ deduction or realize their tax bill is higher, they flip their lids.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That damn Biden voted to tax SS back in 1983 and the bill passed.
The rest of the story....Ronald Reagan signed it.

My point is that both parties handle SS about like they do immigration.......nobody really wants to address it and when they do they usually 17 it up.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Right. Like I said it’s complicated. And nothing compared to how complicated Medicare is. I tried to help my mom with hers a few months ago & im completely lost as to what the best choices are. The fact we expect elderly people to navigate this maze is inexcusable.
22 years ago, I sold Medicare Supplements. Things have changed but I had to help my parents and still had people I could ask questions. I ended up putting it in simple terms. If you are in good health and don't go to doctors to often get a Medicare Advantage. If you are in bad health and go to doctor a bunch, get Medicare Supplement. Rationale was Advantage plans have high deductibles and lower premiums and Supplements have really low to zero deductibles but higher premiums. Once I got it to that point, we started looking for the agent, company and plans they felt comfortable with. My mom will never leave her house alive again. She is near death. My dad is in good health so we had to find some insurance he could afford for eyes, dental and hearing. We found a plan that had a pool of money of 5000.00. He could use it for any of the three each year until depleted then the next year it will replenish the 5000.00. $53.00 a month premium. That seemed reasonable.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks for the info. Finding answer on the Government site for little stuff like what is considered income is hard to find on the Government Website. I am sure it's there just don't know where to look.
and I GUARANTEE if you called them and talked to 4 different people you would get 4 different answers....

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Your pension is not taxed in MS. However, the fed will take its share of your pension and your SS benefit. Consult with a reputable CPA or CFP (certified financial planner) to determine actions you can take to reduce your tax liability. Do not consult with a public accountant or shade tree tax preparer.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Your pension is not taxed in MS. However, the fed will take its share of your pension and your SS benefit. Consult with a reputable CPA or CFP (certified financial planner) to determine actions you can take to reduce your tax liability. Do not consult with a public accountant or shade tree tax preparer.
It was not for me or anyone I know. It was just general question that I will have in future. Several of the guys who responded are CPA's. I got my answer.

Aug 22, 2012
A lot of reasons. One of which is both of those are very bad ideas to begin with.
Patdog that’s the dialogue I was hoping for. I haven’t done any research on either, just know they have been political hot points. Why do you think they are bad ideas? I don’t have an opinion either way, I just want to pay less tax. Look forward to your thoughts if you are willing to share

patdog

May 28, 2007
Patdog that’s the dialogue I was hoping for. I haven’t done any research on either, just know they have been political hot points. Why do you think they are bad ideas? I don’t have an opinion either way, I just want to pay less tax. Look forward to your thoughts if you are willing to share
Just a couple off the top of my head:
1. Both are regressive taxes that tax the poor disproportionately.
2. Even with a flat tax, you'd still have to compute your income and deductions anyway, so you really haven't simplified much.

Aug 22, 2012
Votes. Most people aren't high income. They tend not to vote in a regressive tax on their lower incomes. Even if you did manage to implement one, it would also need a tax return system as you wouldn't want those taxes applied towards your poverty level of income/spending to offset some of the regressive nature. That or we mail checks to everyone to credit them back that amount - that's a bad idea also.

Edit: I'd be warm to a more simplified system with moderately tiered tax rates, but then you have the battle of what income adjustments/deductions stay and go (see current SALT discussion). People claim to be for a simple system but when they lose their _______ deduction or realize their tax bill is higher, they flip their lids.
What would the ckdog tax code look like? Curious as to your thoughts. I haven’t done much research just wish I paid less tax. Just looking for some dialogue on the subject.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What would the ckdog tax code look like? Curious as to your thoughts. I haven’t done much research just wish I paid less tax. Just looking for some dialogue on the subject.
Mine: eliminate the SS cap, split the revenue gains to cutting the rate and shoring up SS.

The federal income tax is already progressive. Combined with the above, the only real problem is the myriad tax breaks creating vastly different tax incidences for similar incomes. So I'd put in some alternative minimums (based on full actual income), and probably some lifetime caps on breaks like capital gains and tax advantaged accounts.

Make interest paid on student loans a 1:1 credit off your taxes. This is not really needed for the tax code per se, it's just that it's BS that anyone has to pay interest on it. Also note that with this change it would be cheaper for the govt to just pay tuition to begin with. (ETA: this would need some serious adjustments to prevent it being mostly paid to high earners who don't need it. Either an income cap or 1:2 benefit or something.)

ETA2: Another idea is to eliminate the idea of a zero (or negative!) tax bill. Limit tax breaks to something like 20% of a full bill. But pare that with basically forever pulling forward any unused breaks. Far less politically palatable, but would be a more pure tax result. Also basically eliminate tax breaks for corporations. If you want a tax break, take the profit as personal income.

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
The devil is in the details with anything and this topic could fill volumes of analysis.

Quick thoughts:

- Make rates more progressive. Lower at lower incomes and higher at higher. However that math works to raise net tax receipts with a net break to the middle class and working poor.

- Raise SS wage cap. Stop taxing SS income.

- Continue tax benefits to incentive/reward behavior that enourages stable society: grow family (birth/adoption),get married, invest in local community (buy home / buy muni bonds), make long term investments in assets/business (no reward for short term and speculative investment), charitable contributions, saving for retirement, student loan interest, small business loan interest. There's a lot of things I think we should reward financially. Credits vs deductions? Again...devil in the details.

- Ditch carried interest

- Generally against benefits related only to papering up transactions the tax-friendly way rather than just following the cash (loopholes). People with access to good attys and accountants shouldn't have less burden than those that don't (sorry, patdog).

- Simplified calculations for minimum tax obligations based on total cash income to ensure everyone has at least a reasonable tax bill. Be okay with providing opportunity for reward for good behavior and responsible tax planning, but not so much you end up closer to free loading. N/A for most people but a real backstop for very high earners to get a stupid low rate. We have this now but it's complex and I assume very hard to audit. If it were simpler, the IRS could red flag more high earner returns.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login