OT: tennis elbow or tendinitis….

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Anyone had it, have it, and especially need to know how to get rid of it.
Started up about a week or so ago, played golf, got worse and now over last day or so it hurts like a sob to even hold my arm out straight.
And just as the Fall golf weather about to start getting good.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Started up about a week or so ago, played golf, got worse and now over last day or so it hurts like a sob to even hold my arm out straight.
Go to PT. I had it and a couple months fixed me up.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Try Bio-Freeze. It was only available from PT's and Dr's originally but you can buy it over the counter now at WallyWorld, CVS, etc. I like the roll on but they have a gel, a spray, a foam, cream, and patches. Smells like all the others but dries very quick and isn't greasy at all. Best thing I've found since I started running

1696013791090.png

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I have had it several times, I don't miss it one bit.
There are exercises that may help.

I no long play tennis.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Cortisone shot and physical therapy are both good advice. Compression sleeve may also help. Also, have a golf or tennis pro look at your swing. I had a slight case of tennis elbow years ago. Took a lesson and told the pro about it. After watching me hit for a few minutes, he said "I can fix the tennis elbow in no time." Turned out, I was slowing my swing too much after I hit the ball. With a longer freer follow through, the tennis elbow went away.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
100% good PT over a steroid shot, will fix it and also show you how to prevent it worsening if it rears it's ugly head again. My wife is a PT has fixed mine as well if many of my friends who have gotten it from CrossFit.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A cortisone shot is the first thing but stretching and improving your range of motion is the key. Physical therapy will show you how to properly stretch. Lots of Alleve?

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I wouldn't get the shot yet, give it some time and other methods first. I had it bad about 9 years ago when I started playing a lot of league tennis. I did everything from ice, soaking in epsom salt, compression sleeve. Didn't hit a ball that entire time. After a couple months of that crap I said screw it, went out and hit some tennis balls, it went away, and I've never had it again. Not saying that's a cure or anything but that was my experience with it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
1) PT exercises you can find online
2) Go get a steriod shot
3) Give it about a year to go away and deal with the pain
4) Hit a tragic golf shot that fully tears all those microtears and fixes it in one, fell, painful, swoop

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
PTs are worth every penny (really not expensive) in my experience. Compression sleeve may help a little, but it will take some time and probably exercise to heal

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I got it real bad years ago by playing softball and not really warming up. It would flair up whenever I played even with warming up properly winter hit, didn’t play anything and it was fine the next year.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Counterforce brace
I second this. Got a brace in a drugstore for about $8. Wearing the brace was sufficient to get me through a round of golf and I didn't notice the pain after a little stretching and a few warm-up swings. After about three months, the pain just went away completely. Several folks told me they had the same experience.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
If you can get your hands on some old school atomic balm. That stuff flicked on the nuts of a freshman football player was a bad night for someone. Sheesh! But it works great

get the shot

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Also keep an eye on how you hold your phone, and how much. It can really put a strain on that nerve. A brace off amazons helped me, but really the main thing was time and not bending/exerting my elbow. I don't think mine was too terrible bad.

Good luck with it - honestly, I always thought tennis elbow was kinda made up and something just wusses complained about. That sucker hurts, and made it rough sleeping a few times

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I got it real bad years ago by playing softball and not really warming up. It would flair up whenever I played even with warming up properly winter hit, didn’t play anything and it was fine the next year.
I used to get it playing softball too. Got a counterforce brace and would just wear it during the games. Seemed to help me.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Rub some dirt on it.

It bothered me for a few months from using bad form lifting weights. Stretching really made a difference. Also heat and cold therapy, Epsom salts, massages, and ibuprofen. Also look up ways to reduce inflammation. Take care of yourself. That 17'r really hurt at times.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Voltarin cream. This is your friend and it comes in store brand now. I use it on my bad knee. Brings relief almost immediately
^^^^
THIS
Went to CVS and bought instead of the Biofreeze.
Pharmacist recommended as Wesson stated.
Within 30 seconds of putting it on I could tell a difference.
Says I can use 4x a day.
I may exceed that but at $27.00 a tube it should be good.
Thanks Much Wesson Bulldog!

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
There are 2 types of elbow tendonitis. Top (tennis) and bottom (golf). I had the surgery 20 years ago for golfer's elbow. I have a touch of tennis elbow but it doesn't bother me while playing golf. I would recommend wearing a device named band-aid that I wear while working out. Get a device named theraband that strengthens the forearm muscles and muscles around the elbow. Search youtube for the exercises.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
I had tennis elbow last year....never had it before and it indeed sucks!!!Could not get rid of it for months...would make your elbow have a very tight feeling to it.....also would have a locked up feeling to it if you picked up something and moved it a certain way.

It went away after many months...added some stretching also doing the curl bar again seems to have worked it out for the most part.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
don’t do anything. rest it. no drugs. let the body heal itself. then when better start strengthening it. then start back very slow

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I had it pretty bad case in both elbows for several months. I had a co worker show me stretches that her pt had shown her. Basically bending your wrist upward, like pulling your fingers as far back as you can. Then bending your wrist inward, putting a good bit of pressure on it to stretch the top of the forearm. I feel it mostly in my wrists so I thought it wouldn’t work because it was working a different area. I was wrong. It started clearing up almost immediately. I was icing and made it a point to rest it some but within 3 weeks it was better. Results may vary, but any time I start feeling the pain again I do those stretches and it goes away.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Anytime. I have tried every cream, gel, ointment, brace, cold wrap, hot wrap and sleeve for bad knees and Voltarin is the only thing that truly worked as it said.

^^^^
THIS
Went to CVS and bought instead of the Biofreeze.
Pharmacist recommended as Wesson stated.
Within 30 seconds of putting it on I could tell a difference.
Says I can use 4x a day.
I may exceed that but at $27.00 a tube it should be good.
Thanks Much Wesson Bulldog!

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
Theraband was a miracle worker for me. Had pain for months and it disappeared in a week using this just a couple of times a day.

mundiejc

Sep 19, 2015
Definitely try lacrosse ball on your forearm and bicep. Lean against the wall and roll it up and down the muscles. If you find a tender spot, longer there with pressure and roll slow back and forth over it. Then do forearm stretches.

after being serious in CrossFit for almost 3 years, I’ve realized most tendonitis is the result of muscles with knots in them. They pull on tendons connected to the joint and cause pain in a different place than the actual issue.

I had knee issues resolved pretty quickly by loosening triggered muscles in quads, and wrist pain caused by forearm.

I also second a PT. Doctors just say take nsaids and rest. PTs can know what’s causing the inflammation and how to stretch/release it. I hurt my shoulder 4 days before a competition to the point that I couldn’t lift an empty barbell past my waist without excruciating pain. I went to the PT that afternoon. He did trigger point work, stretching, and dry needling with electricity to stimulate blood flow and the next day I was 100% again. It was then, and only then, I realized how serious football players can come out injured and return the next week or in some cases in the game. It’s toughness, but it’s also physical therapist treatment.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Buy a pool noodle and hold with both hands twisting it opposite directions, it worked very quickly for me.
Here’s a link to PT tool if you want to spend more but a pool noodle works, I was amazed, good luck,

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Anytime. I have tried every cream, gel, ointment, brace, cold wrap, hot wrap and sleeve for bad knees and Voltarin is the only thing that truly worked as it said.
I used to be a Pharmaceutical rep for Voltaren gel. It penetrates the skin and actually penetrates into the joint because it’s amphiphilic. It is 98% protein bound and binds inflammatory proteins to interrupt the inflammatory pathway. It bypasses the kidneys so it’s much safer than oral NSAIDS. Great product that actually stops inflammation instead of blocking the nerve pathway. *Im not a doctor and this isn’t medical advice😁

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login