OT: Thanks for the RecTeq recommendations

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Sold my Traeger and got a RecTeq. Much better machine. I'm old and lazy and it's 2021 so I'm officially done babysitting stick burners.

Just cooked my first brisket and it was outstanding. Cooked way quicker than I was expecting. Came out awesome. Mega bark (which I love).

Pros:
The temp controller is way better and the temp is way more consistent than any other pellet smoker I have been around.
The temp history feature in the app is nice and precise.
It holds heat much better than the Traeger.
It is definitely better built.
It will get to temp in 5 minutes.
It will get hot enough to cook steaks (700 degrees).
The xtreme smoke setting is epic. Puts out way more smoke than the super smoke setting on the Traeger.
Shuts down in 5 minutes flat.
It has a power receptacle on the back so I can a radio off of it.
The 40 lb hopper is a plus.

Cons:
The app is functional, but not feature packed.
The grill cover is a sunuvabich to get on and off.

If anyone is considering a pellet smokers, check out recteq. And when you call their customer service, a real live person answers and talks to you.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
You are absolutely correct about the cover. When Sally hit I had the cover pretty snug and somehow it came off and that was more amazing to me than the fence getting blown down.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
+1 on that damn cover. I mean, when I’m looking for a grill cover, I’m just trying to get something between it and the general elements. Rain, pollen, dust etc

It’s like RecTec designed their cover to wrap snugly around every single crevice, and it drives me nuts. Every time I think I’ve got a step by step process figured out, it still gets snagged on something

Congrats on the new smoker, though. I got a bull about a year ago, and while I’ve found that I don’t necessarily want to cook everything on it, it does a helluva job on a lot of things. Smoked meatloaf and creamed corn are a couple of my favorites

skip dog

Nov 15, 2005
I’ve been looking at reqtec for a while, and really want one……by chance, anyone know what the new Weber pellet version is like?

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
I have heard from a few friends that the new Weber is nice but they have some bugs to still work out. I love my Yoder but had the same cover issues. Have never really seen a rec teq in person but have heard great things. I just fell in love with the Yoder brand, honestly looking to get a Jambo here in the next couple of years.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
View attachment 23329

My neighbor is friends with the RT guys. He got one this summer before they were released. Wish it was an option when I bought my 700. Really like the upgrades.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Their HQ is about 10 minutes from my house. When they have a scratch and dent sale people line up in the middle of the night. If you liked the brisket you be really pleased with how it cooks a Boston butt. Never had anything not turn out well

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I too have been looking for an easy bake oven for outdoors.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Glad to read this. I’m pulling the trigger. I’ve talked to mcdawg about his and just keep putting it off. I’m cooking over a 20lb bird today for one of our Christmas gatherings and I had to use my older gas smoker because it was too big for my kettle. I’m done with the gas. Can’t hold a steady temp and it’s a crapshoot every time where it’ll be. Need something where I can put it in a turn away.
Thinking about the 590 and the extra shelf.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login