OT: The future is weird, annoying, and expensive.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Where the hell are the flying cars?

James Howells is known as the man who accidentally threw away 8,000 bitcoins. Now he has an $11 million master plan to get them back. https://www.businessinsider.com/jam...plan-get-back-2022-7?utm_source=pocket-newtab

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features. A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415. https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Too bad you can't find a paver subscription.***

What did you end up doing? My guy (and his wife) are outside right now laying them down.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Too bad you can't find a paver subscription.***

What did you end up doing? My guy (and his wife) are outside right now laying them down.

Built a deck. Had a helluva time getting it quoted & the one I did get was high as a cat's back. In the meantime, got to talking to our yard guy and his brother in law does decks & fences. Wound up getting new fence, new deck, and a major back yard refresh for less than just the patio. While I still would've preferred a patio, it does look good, I saved a bundle, and my wife is happy. I'm taking the W.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Wonder what they would do if you told them "I've passed your invoice on to my accountant department for the heated seats and steering wheel and they will pay you for it as soon as you pay them for their accounting services?" Same principle in reverse

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Wonder what they would do if you told them "I've passed your invoice on to my accountant department for the heated seats and steering wheel and they will pay you for it as soon as you pay them for their accounting services?" Same principle in reverse

I 'spect you'd have a cold ***.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
What's to stop me (or let's be honest, someone who could) from bypassing BMW's access to turn them off & on? No, I haven't clicked the link or read up on any of this.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What's to stop me (or let's be honest, someone who could) from bypassing BMW's access to turn them off & on? No, I haven't clicked the link or read up on any of this.

I imagine it's something like a Sirius subscription - which is to say, I'm sure somebody can bypass it, but prolly not you or me.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Built a deck. Had a helluva time getting it quoted & the one I did get was high as a cat's back. In the meantime, got to talking to our yard guy and his brother in law does decks & fences. Wound up getting new fence, new deck, and a major back yard refresh for less than just the patio. While I still would've preferred a patio, it does look good, I saved a bundle, and my wife is happy. I'm taking the W.
Take that W whenever you get the chance.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I imagine it's something like a Sirius subscription - which is to say, I'm sure somebody can bypass it, but prolly not you or me.

I suspect it will be easier to bypass it than it is to pirate a sirius subscription. I think it will probably be like people messing with EGR in diesel trucks. They will probably try to void warranties over it and/or prohibit deals from working on cars that have bypassed it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I suspect it will be easier to bypass it than it is to pirate a sirius subscription. I think it will probably be like people messing with EGR in diesel trucks. They will probably try to void warranties over it and/or prohibit deals from working on cars that have bypassed it.

Certainly possible, although Sirius came to mind because it's a subscription whereas EGR is more of a chip I think? In any event, companies all over want to get in on monthly subscriptions that we all forget to cancel. I just thought this one from BMW was particularly ***-chapping.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Awesome. I prefer a deck anyway, so long as the skunks don't move in under it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Or, in Tesla’s case, they will literally remote disable you from even being able to start your vehicle. That’s what they do if you tamper with the battery instead of paying the extra $2000 or $3000 for the “extended range” charging capacity. Yes, you’re reading that right….Tesla charges extra for you to be able to utilize longer driving range on the exact same 17ing battery and wiring hardware as vehicles that cost several thousand dollars more. It’s a 17ing joke.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Happy Wife, Happy Life

Good words to live by. We just passed our 25th anniversary and I made that little phrase my motto.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The more I see of the new cars coming out these days, the more I think I'm going to keep my current car for a long, long time.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Damn. I'm neither tech nor mech savvy, but the level of control governments & other entities want seems to be going in the wrong direction. Or it's a centurial cycle.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Awesome. I prefer a deck anyway, so long as the skunks don't move in under it.
Or armadillos. I recently had to harness my inner Bill Murray to eradicate a family of those digging bastards from under my deck. A few gun shots and a mean *** dog got the job done.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Maybe, maybe not

If it's a remotely delivered encrypted key someone will eventually crack it, but BMW will likely be able to retrieve telemetry data from the vehicle and send an "off" command back to the ECU if they detect the vehicles heated seat function has been activated outside of a subscription. To deny that command you'll probably need a working knowledge of C++, Linux and Java and you'll have to edit code inside the ECU. Won't be easy.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Slidin' my *** into the brand new Beamer like...

was21

May 29, 2007
I beat one of those SOB armadillo to death with a tire tool

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login