OT: The Groundhog was wrong/ 2023 Spring Yard discussion

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So, the first mole cricket appeared in the pool last night therefore Phil got it wrong so since my Bermuda is popping up down here I am itching to get started on the yard. I’m sure we’ll get a random March frost so I’ll wait on some of the grass related items but wanted to see what the pack is looking at doing this year and get some feedback going.
Mole Crickets: last year I did the Bifen granules and soaked them in with spraying Dominion. It worked pretty well so may go that route again.
Bermuda: I tested a patch in the backyard with scalping and that section did awesome with a thick mat and on weeds so I’m going to do all of the front yard this year. Anyone have experience with the Spring scalp? Any horror stories or recommendations?
Back Bed: I was out of town for the December Arctic blast and came home to pretty dead looking Hibiscus and Hawaiian TI plants. Thinking about cutting them all the way back. If they come back, great, if not guess I’ll be replanting. That area has had an infestation of broadleaf weeds. Any suggestions on something I can spray over the whole area without killing the surviving plants? Or do I just need to go Total Vegetation Control and avoid the good plants.
Hope the mole cricket was right and Spring is right around the corner.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

moturfdog

Aug 22, 2012
So, the first mole cricket appeared in the pool last night therefore Phil got it wrong so since my Bermuda is popping up down here I am itching to get started on the yard. I’m sure we’ll get a random March frost so I’ll wait on some of the grass related items but wanted to see what the pack is looking at doing this year and get some feedback going.
Mole Crickets: last year I did the Bifen granules and soaked them in with spraying Dominion. It worked pretty well so may go that route again.
Bermuda: I tested a patch in the backyard with scalping and that section did awesome with a thick mat and on weeds so I’m going to do all of the front yard this year. Anyone have experience with the Spring scalp? Any horror stories or recommendations?
Back Bed: I was out of town for the December Arctic blast and came home to pretty dead looking Hibiscus and Hawaiian TI plants. Thinking about cutting them all the way back. If they come back, great, if not guess I’ll be replanting. That area has had an infestation of broadleaf weeds. Any suggestions on something I can spray over the whole area without killing the surviving plants? Or do I just need to go Total Vegetation Control and avoid the good plants.
Use some Snapshot or Freehand in you shrub beds to prevent weeds. Both are granular and easy to apply.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
Good timing on this thread. Any MSU agronomists or yard gurus have some advice on what to use on a centipede grass yard to knock weeds back? I bought the house last winter and the yard was decent. I did some Scott’s weed and feed stuff this past spring and it didn’t seem to do much. The yard is in worse shape now than a year ago. Have white clover popping up in various places, some small clover looking weeds, some dollar weed, and a couple of other weeds that I don’t know what they are. Any product recommendations?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I have zoysia, and cut it as low as my mower will go every year. It's not really scalping but that's as well as I can do without a reel mower. But I wait until mid-late April to do it, when danger of freezing temps are mostly gone.

You must live well south.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I live in central MS and my centipede is still dormant. I put out Spectricide Granular Weed Stop in late January. Then Weed and feed in April and I have almost no weeds. The pros may not agree with my method but my yard always looks healthy.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Prodiamine as a pre-emergent for centipede and Celcius to knock out weeds. O.K. to mix the two. Spot treating with Atrazine works as well as does Fahrenheit for clover and some broadleafs and Fahrenheit knocks out Virginia Buttonweed. Follow directions for mixing with water and don't overspray or over treat. Good luck killing dallis grass. Just nuke it with round up or pull it and use celcius to keep it under control. Sedgehammer takes out sedges and Fertilome over the top gets rid of bahiagrass although Atrazine does that as well.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Got almost 5" of rain at my house last night. And with more rain expected the model of the week my yard is more federally designated wetland now. It's usually in late April before my yard is dry enough to mow and by then I'm the envy of the neighborhood with how tall it is.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login