OT: The Midnight Special YouTube channel

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I only recently learned that there is a YouTube channel for the old Midnight Special show from the 70's. May be of interest to anyone of a certain age, or just anyone who wants to watch the Bee Gees perform "Money (that's what I want)" with Jerry Lee Lewis.

I was a real big fan of those "midnight specials" cinemax used to run 25 years ago

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've seen parts of every one of them. I say part because I could NEVER made it through a whole show without falling asleep and that was back when I was 10-20 years old even. It was on from "Midnight" till 1:30 a.m. I really liked it, thought Wolfman Jack was an idol back then but I just couldn't stay awake. I'd wake up and the Star Spangled Banner had long ago played and the "Ant Wars" were all that was on then. I'm guessing you young 'uns won't know what the Star Spangled Banner and Ant Wars comments are for.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Friday was my favorite day of the week. You had Friday night pizza or Krystal and late-night scary movie but I kind of got sad when Midnight Special came on because for a little kid it was time to go to bed.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I only recently learned that there is a YouTube channel for the old Midnight Special show from the 70's. May be of interest to anyone of a certain age, or just anyone who wants to watch the Bee Gees perform "Money (that's what I want)" with Jerry Lee Lewis.

Midnight special was great but nothing can beat American Bandstand. Check out this performance by Van Morrison. No band. No backup singers. No mic. Just pure perfection!!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I once had a prof at State who often started class with some kind of music trivia. Imagine my dismay when I finally beat someone to the answer and blurted out "Bee Gees", only to quickly realize that when I "won", I actually lost...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I like me some Bee Gees now. If you can't shake your azz to Jive Talkin you might be dead.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I've seen parts of every one of them. I say part because I could NEVER made it through a whole show without falling asleep and that was back when I was 10-20 years old even. It was on from "Midnight" till 1:30 a.m. I really liked it, thought Wolfman Jack was an idol back then but I just couldn't stay awake. I'd wake up and the Star Spangled Banner had long ago played and the "Ant Wars" were all that was on then. I'm guessing you young 'uns won't know what the Star Spangled Banner and Ant Wars comments are for.
I'm an old un and was going to ask what the heck ant wars were. Get it now but never heard that description. Midnight Special/Wolfman were at their peak during my HS/MSU days and must see TV.
Speaking of late Friday night rock shows, early 70's I used to watch something in Vicksburg out of El Dorado, AR (Don Kirshner?) of all places. Can't remember how we even got it given everything was Jackson or nothing at the time. Maybe the way way early version of cable TV?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Brush with greatness: I once met Wolfman Jack when I was about 4-5 years old. My parents introduced me. He said "Hey little man, whatcha drinkin, scotch?" I wasn't drinking scotch at the time, it was a shirley temple, but for some reason he and my dad thought that was funny.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm an old un and was going to ask what the heck ant wars were. Get it now but never heard that description. Midnight Special/Wolfman were at their peak during my HS/MSU days and must see TV.
Speaking of late Friday night rock shows, early 70's I used to watch something in Vicksburg out of El Dorado, AR (Don Kirshner?) of all places. Can't remember how we even got it given everything was Jackson or nothing at the time. Maybe the way way early version of cable TV?
It was "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert". I watched it too but don't remember what night of the week it was, either Friday or Saturday. Midnight Special was Friday after Johnny Carson went off.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Midnight special was great but nothing can beat American Bandstand. Check out this performance by Van Morrison. No band. No backup singers. No mic. Just pure perfection!!

American Bandstand was on ABC from 12-1 and at 1:00 it was time for the most anticipated show of the week for my young self, MLB's "NBC Game of the Week" w/ broadcasters Curt Gowdy, Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola. That was the ONLY MLB game on tv, all week long. I know you young 'uns cant fathom that but it was the one and only game available to watch in S MS. For those that don't know the story Joe Garagiola grew up w/ Yogi Berra in St Louis. They were best friends and lived across the street from each other for years. Garagiola had some of the best stories ever that he could tell about growing up in the 30's and 40's on streets of St Louis and great stories about Yogi

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Midnight Special > Bandstand by a lot.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
If you watch (I think it was the very first one…or one of the first) George Carlin’s standup routine, you’ll be shocked. There’s no way that would fly today. And I’m not talking about the “7 words” bit. It would be banned and George would be canceled. Can’t believe that was on network TV back then…even after midnight.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There were some great premiere performances on the show. I remember everyone talking about this video.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login