OT: The Tangerine Motel

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
My wife has a business trip to State on Wednesday so I’m going to take advantage and watch the baseball and basketball game. Hotel prices in Starkville are ridiculous but saw this motel on the web. Looked intriguing and wondering if anyone has stayed there. It’s about 15 minutes south of town.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Starkville hotel prices are pretty high. I’ve recently looked (thought about seeing Lucero playing at Rick’s). I also wondered what the heck is that Russell Inn but then I saw that it was one of those Charlestowne run operations and saw that they operate three hotels in Starkville…

I guess it’s good they see value in Starkville but now I don’t see much value there anymore 😂

Okay enough Abe Simpson rambling… TO YOUR POINT…

I’ve seen the Tangerine listed too and wonder for the same reasons as you.

It’s an interesting way of repurposing a property. I wish them success.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
My wife has a business trip to State on Wednesday so I’m going to take advantage and watch the baseball and basketball game. Hotel prices in Starkville are ridiculous but saw this motel on the web. Looked intriguing and wondering if anyone has stayed there. It’s about 15 minutes south of town.
It appears to be the old Moore/East Oktibbeha High School. Looks very nice. That's about all I know about it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
So, you are familiar with those names.********
One of the most creative motel names I've seen was at the old Ramada Inn at Delaware Av exit in McComb. The Ramda sold out to, lets say a minority investor. Said investor hired a sign company to come in and reverse the big red block "R" and first "A" in RAMADA to create the "ARMADA INN" . That appeared to be the only change they made, for years..........

99dawg

Jul 9, 2011
You can step right outside your door and see the field where Jerry Rice played high school ball.

The rooms are nice and are in some of the old classrooms that have been remodeled.

The main building with cafeteria and gymnasium can be used for large events. It is a nice place.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's wild. I've been there a few times. It was NOT nice when it was a school, and they had possibly the worst HS football field I've ever set foot on.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
You can step right outside your door and see the field where Jerry Rice played high school ball.

The rooms are nice and are in some of the old classrooms that have been remodeled.

The main building with cafeteria and gymnasium can be used for large events. It is a nice place.
Very nice place. Bit of a haul and in the boonies but certainly unique. I'd give it a try.

Aug 22, 2012
I have a good Moor High story. Yes it was one of the worst high school fields Ive ever seen. I was working a radio broadcast for a visiting high school. There was what looked like about a 10 ft high shooting house that was the press box. Me, my color commentator, and the PA guy are in there. Our team was putting a pretty good whipping on Moor High, and the PA guy hands his microphone to my color commentator and says “Here go, you do this”. Climbs out of the tree stand/press box, walks to his car and leaves. We cut the mic off and dropped it. True story.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Starkville hotel prices are pretty high. I’ve recently looked (thought about seeing Lucero playing at Rick’s). I also wondered what the heck is that Russell Inn but then I saw that it was one of those Charlestowne run operations and saw that they operate three hotels in Starkville…

I guess it’s good they see value in Starkville but now I don’t see much value there anymore 😂

Okay enough Abe Simpson rambling… TO YOUR POINT…

I’ve seen the Tangerine listed too and wonder for the same reasons as you.

It’s an interesting way of repurposing a property. I wish them success.
Russell Inn is the old Comfort Suites right next to campus. Apparently the university took it over a coupe of months ago (along with the Hampton Inn). I stayed there this past weekend. It's OK.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I also wondered what the heck is that Russell Inn but then I saw that it was one of those Charlestowne run operations and saw that they operate three hotels in Starkville…

Supposedly Charlestowne/MSU Foundation have plans for a higher end hotel on the footprint of the Russell Inn (formerly Comfort Suites). Choice wanted X amount to renew then Comfort flag and Charlestown’s decided to run it as an independent until they were ready for new development

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
That's wild. I've been there a few times. It was NOT nice when it was a school, and they had possibly the worst HS football field I've ever set foot on.
Velma Jackson's field was so bad - the bugs that would fly around you when you got tackled were something else, or sometimes you just fell down cause you stepped in a pothole or slipped on cowdung.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
I played on a lot of those 1A fields. Beulah Hubbard had just bailed hay off their field when we played there.

Moor's field was bad, but not nearly as bad as the field at Choctaw Central in the 80's. Ants and hard dirt that turned into slick mud in the rain.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I give Tangerine another Thumbs up.

I stayed there one of the football weekends. It was as nice as any Hampton or Fairfield less the free breakfast. It wasn't luxurious but it was a good place to stay.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login