OT: Things with your SSN on it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I got to looking and this is what I found.
1. Old Driver License--found in a kitchen drawer.
2. Miss State student ID--found in my dresser drawer
3. Honorable discharge certificate from the Marine Corps-----Hanging on my office wall. That wasn't bright.
4. My Dog Tags from the Marine Corps.--My daughter had them on her key chain.

Crazy it was put on the stuff it was put on back in the day. I am continuing looking now.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think we can all just assume our SSN and other identifying information is out there for sale on the dark web. In the unlikely case it’s not, it will be.

Reactions: J-Dawg

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
If you bought real estate in MS prior to about 20 years ago your SS# is probably a public record on the deed or deed of trust at the courthouse

Reactions: goindhoo

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My dad was a mechanic by trade. He had a large amount of Snap On tools. He engraved his SSN on most of them to keep other people from walking off with them. I have a lot of them in my tool box today. It wasn't a big deal back in the 60's and 70's.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
It is plainly stated on the card that it is not to be used for identification ****

Nov 20, 2023
My dad was a mechanic by trade. He had a large amount of Snap On tools. He engraved his SSN on most of them to keep other people from walking off with them. I have a lot of them in my tool box today. It wasn't a big deal back in the 60's and 70's.
Until the internet days came around. Now there’s almost no limits to what people will do if they get your SS# surely with all the bright minds out there they had to know this would be a potential problem in the future. This the USA, I mean cmon. Not a 3rd world country. Seems like someone would’ve realized the security threat it could become.. I don’t mean just your example at all just in general how freely SSN#s were shared

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have some redeployment paperwork Army gave me. The first 20 pages is a list of my entire battalion's name, DOB, and social. Only thing missing is naked pictures of everyone. Figured if I got it, so did the other 800+/- people.

Reactions: RocketDawg

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
If you bought real estate in MS prior to about 20 years ago your SS# is probably a public record on the deed or deed of trust at the courthouse
I’d probably say it’s closer to 40 years ago. But point remains

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I think we can all just assume our SSN and other identifying information is out there for sale on the dark web. In the unlikely case it’s not, it will be.
Most definitely is.

I just went through the whole ordeal. Someone attempted to blitz-open 5 credit cards in my name. Thankfully, I have credit monitoring through my bank and was notified of the new hard inquiries before the accounts went active, so no charges were incurred.

Fraud rep that I spoke to said the same: it’s nearly impossible to not have all your information floating around out there. If you’ve ever had any type of credit, loan, mortgage etc in your name it’s essentially a guarantee.

Reactions: patdog

intouch2018

Feb 17, 2018
Years ago in humphrey coliseum I met and conversed with an older couple that sat beside me for the season. During the season we started talking and we figured out that the wife was one of my student teachers in grade school. Later on she shared that they were cleaning out their garage and she ran across some papers and grade reports from her student teaching semester that had my name and info. I know during that time SSN was the unique identifier.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I was as State for most of the 90’s, and a lot of us…..I mean a TON of us…..wrote our SSN on our textbooks to identify them as ours.

It’s amazing how simple/innocent/naive a time that it was compared to now. What on earth will 2053 look like compared to 2023 if we are still here?

Reactions: thatsbaseball

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'd liked that dude. Today would he be a Dewalt or Milwaukee man?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I have some redeployment paperwork Army gave me. The first 20 pages is a list of my entire battalion's name, DOB, and social. Only thing missing is naked pictures of everyone. Figured if I got it, so did the other 800+/- people.
I've seen this dozens of times, even in the early 2000s.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
3. Honorable discharge certificate from the Marine Corps-----Hanging on my office wall. That wasn't bright.

Crazy it was put on the stuff it was put on back in the day. I am continuing looking now.
My business partner, who is an honorably discharged jarhead, was literally forced to disassemble his Honorable Discharge Certificate so that he could cover over his SSN with a piece of paper and tape and then reassemble the thing to display.

marine = my @$$ rides in navy equipment

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was as State for most of the 90’s, and a lot of us…..I mean a TON of us…..wrote our SSN on our textbooks to identify them as ours.

It’s amazing how simple/innocent/naive a time that it was compared to now. What on earth will 2053 look like compared to 2023 if we are still here?
When I was there banks still offered counter checks....talkin about innocent .

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I'd liked that dude. Today would he be a Dewalt or Milwaukee man?
Mostly Dewalt but he loved a Makita cordless drill. He didn’t buy cheap tools that’s for sure. About a year ago the Snap On truck was next door and I had one of his screwdrivers that the handle had become brittle and broken. I went over to get a new handle on it. The guy went in his truck and came back with a brand new screwdriver, I told him I just wanted a new handle. He said that they didn’t replace handles anymore, just replaced the whole tool. I got my old broken handled screwdriver back.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

All checks from the bank had name, address, socials.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
My information was stolen in one of the first big identify theft events when I was training at the VA 20 years ago. I have had multiple credit cards started in my name that I have had to shut down. I have had LifeLock for years. Every year or so I get a notification that my information is changing hands on the dark web. It used to bother me. Now I shrug my shoulders. It’s just the new normal.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My information was stolen in one of the first big identify theft events when I was training at the VA 20 years ago. I have had multiple credit cards started in my name that I have had to shut down. I have had LifeLock for years. Every year or so I get a notification that my information is changing hands on the dark web. It used to bother me. Now I shrug my shoulders. It’s just the new normal.
We have LifeLock as well. Do you think it actually does any good?

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
I'm really glad we have that filter that stars out your SSN to other people whenever you type it into the Internet.

Do y'all still see stars when I type ***-**-****? I'm going to see if I can still see the numbers.

Edit: yes, it still works!

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
lol @ writing it on checks at the super save. Yep , remember that.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
We have LifeLock as well. Do you think it actually does any good?
Makes me feel better, but sometimes I think that is about it. It would have caught all those credit cards if I had it then though. That’s why I keep paying for it

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
and did you actually write your correct SSN? I never did. Just made one up.
They doubled checked it with your driver’s license or would sometimes even write it down themselves while you showed the I.d. Writing a fake number was automatic parchman.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login