OT: Third-Party Auto Insurance Claim

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
Looking for any advice or experience in regards to making third-party auto insurance claim.

I have an older car that was involved in a minor collision. The other driver was deemed at fault and their insurance (Progressive) has acknowledged. The claim representative is telling me that I only have two options. Option 1 is that I use their photo estimator tool on their app. They provide an estimate based on the photos and send me a check. Option 2 is that I take the vehicle to a body shop of my choice and they send a Progressive estimator to that shop and write up their own estimate. They would then work with the body shop to have the vehicle repaired.

I would prefer to just get a check for the damage so that I can fix myself or get it fixed when I am ready. However, I don't trust that they will give a fair estimate based on photos. Is there any other course of action I can take to ensure I get a fair settlement check for the property damage? I have already let the body shop of my choice look at the vehicle and provide an estimate. I even offered to go around and get a couple more estimates; however, the representative stated that it didn't matter how many estimates I got, I only have the 2 options that were provided. I would be willing to settle for much less than the estimate I received, but the representative makes it seem as though it isn't an option. Thoughts?

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
Looking for any advice or experience in regards to making third-party auto insurance claim.

I have an older car that was involved in a minor collision. The other driver was deemed at fault and their insurance (Progressive) has acknowledged. The claim representative is telling me that I only have two options. Option 1 is that I use their photo estimator tool on their app. They provide an estimate based on the photos and send me a check. Option 2 is that I take the vehicle to a body shop of my choice and they send a Progressive estimator to that shop and write up their own estimate. They would then work with the body shop to have the vehicle repaired.

I would prefer to just get a check for the damage so that I can fix myself or get it fixed when I am ready. However, I don't trust that they will give a fair estimate based on photos. Is there any other course of action I can take to ensure I get a fair settlement check for the property damage? I have already let the body shop of my choice look at the vehicle and provide an estimate. I even offered to go around and get a couple more estimates; however, the representative stated that it didn't matter how many estimates I got, I only have the 2 options that were provided. I would be willing to settle for much less than the estimate I received, but the representative makes it seem as though it isn't an option. Thoughts?
If you have a shop of your choice, why wouldn't you take option 2 in this case? You've got a written estimate from the independent shop to compare Progressive's against. If for whatever reason the two are far apart, just bring it to Progressive's attention. They are, as you stated, admittedly at fault here and could be very willing to adjust your appraisal or agree to a supplemental inspection.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Here's my take but don't count 100% on me even though I've dealt with many insurance instances being in mortgage lending and I also here about most all problems families face but I'm NOT a licensed agent. If your vehicle is financed (which I assume is not) then your own insurance company would require the car be made whole again. But being this is a 3rd party, IMO, they should not require you spend the money on the repairs. They owe you the money and you should be free to do what ever you want with it. Progressive does have the right to dispute the amount though which is where typically the mechanic / body shop dude has a back and forth with them until things are settled. Some people have their own in agents fight that battle should it arise. Somebody check me on this if I'm wrong.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think thats bullshlt. Whether its accurate or not, thats bullshlt.

If the Progressive estimator is going to just write their own estimate up, why take it to a shop at all?
At the same time, you shouldnt be able to just take it anywhere and use an obviously high quote that is well in excess of the average.

But if the vehicle is paid for and you own the title, you should be able to pocket the money because that money is 'making you whole' regardless of if the vehicle is repaired since that value is now gone from the vehicle.
You should be able to take it to a shop, have the shop and insurance negotiate, and then you get to choose whether to pocket the money or have the repair work done right then.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
If you have a shop of your choice, why wouldn't you take option 2 in this case? You've got a written estimate from the independent shop to compare Progressive's against. If for whatever reason the two are far apart, just bring it to Progressive's attention. They are, as you stated, admittedly at fault here and could be very willing to adjust your appraisal or agree to a supplemental inspection.

I own the car outright and would prefer to just get a fair check for the damage so that I can repair as little or as much as I decide to when I am ready. Just while I was getting the estimate done, I kept overhearing the body shop talk about how they are constantly arguing with the insurance companies over repairs. So I would suspect Option 2 is going to lead to a bunch of back and forth and ultimately probably costing the insurance more than I would be willing to settle for anyways.

Edit: Body Shop especially argues with Progessive all the time.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

This happened to me a while back…. You can have them work directly with the body shop, and anything over the amount they gave you can be filled with a supplement. Progressive should be fine to work with.

Either option would pretty much end up the same way. If the shop needs more $$, they work with the insurance company. The big difference is who they make the check out to…. If it’s to you, you’ll have to pay the shop. Or, it can be made out to include the shop and they can cash it directly.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
I own the car outright and would prefer to just get a fair check for the damage so that I can repair as little or as much as I decide to when I am ready. Just while I was getting the estimate done, I kept overhearing the body shop talk about how they are constantly arguing with the insurance companies over repairs. So I would suspect Option 2 is going to lead to a bunch of back and forth and ultimately probably costing the insurance more than I would be willing to settle for anyways.

Edit: Body Shop especially argues with Progessive all the time.
Have you provided your insurance details to Progressive or spoken to your own insurance company about the loss? There's always an option to file a claim with your own insurance company and then let them subrogate against Progressive. If you've explicitly asked Progressive to simply write you a check for the agreed upon estimate amount and they refuse, you might have to get your own insurance company involved so they can negotiate on your behalf.

Also, bitching helps. A couple of years ago someone backed into me and their insurance (USAA) rightfully took responsibility. However, when it came time for repairs, they didn't want to pay for extra rental days because the repair took longer than originally estimated. After arguing with a rep for a few minutes, I asked for their superior at which point I was directed to a team manager who caved very quickly.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It seems to me that most claims wind up being adjusted upwards after the body shop starts doing the work and finds additional work that needs to be done. So, I would go ahead and take the car to a shop and get it fixed. Otherwise, you're likely to have more damage than you're being paid for. regardless of if you take their photo estimate or get an estimate at a body shop.

Reactions: JesterB

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Have you provided your insurance details to Progressive or spoken to your own insurance company about the loss? There's always an option to file a claim with your own insurance company and then let them subrogate against Progressive. If you've explicitly asked Progressive to simply write you a check for the agreed upon estimate amount and they refuse, you might have to get your own insurance company involved so they can negotiate on your behalf.

Also, bitching helps. A couple of years ago someone backed into me and their insurance (USAA) rightfully took responsibility. However, when it came time for repairs, they didn't want to pay for extra rental days because the repair took longer than originally estimated. After arguing with a rep for a few minutes, I asked for their superior at which point I was directed to a team manager who caved very quickly.
This. Get your insurance company involved. The at fault insurance company will mislead or outright lie to you. They are trying to limit how much they have to pay.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
You have your independent estimate. There is no harm in seeing what Progressive's online app comes up with. You aren't obligated to accept it.

I have experience with the same thing, but through my carrier, State Farm. I've been pleasantly surprised that their estimate was in-line or even better than my self-sourced estimate. If they are low, you can negotiate. If you don't feel they are being fair, go through your own insurance (assuming you have the coverage).

In fact, you should see what your own insurance company comes up with. again, you aren't required to ultimately finalize the claim with them, but you would have the option. If you do accept your insurance company's estimate they will take off for your deductible, but you are likely to get it back after they go through what is called "subrogation". That's where, after they pay you, they go after the other guy's insurance for reimbursement.

If they get enough back to cover your deductible, they will get it back to you.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Time to start talking to Progressive about your need to be sure you are medically OK. Semi-sarcasterisks. Unless you have signed away your rights to compensation, that is all on the table. Not uncommon for insurers to randomly send you an offer over the cost of repairs if you sign a paper saying you won't sue them.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
This. Get your insurance company involved. The at fault insurance company will mislead or outright lie to you. They are trying to limit how much they have to pay.

I initially started a claim with my insurance just because I thought I was supposed to. I ultimately had that claim put on hold until I could see if I could just get it resolved with Progressive. It may be a good idea to bring them into the loop after all.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
You have your independent estimate. There is no harm in seeing what Progressive's online app comes up with. You aren't obligated to accept it.

I have experience with the same thing, but through my carrier, State Farm. I've been pleasantly surprised that their estimate was in-line of even better than my self-sourced estimate. If the are low, you can negotiate. If you don't feel they are being fair, go through your own insurance (assuming you have the coverage).

In fact, you should see what your own insurance company comes up with. again, you aren't required to ultimately finalize the claim with them, but you would have the option. If you do accept your insurance company's estimate they will take off for your deductible, but you are likely to get it back after they go through what is called "subrogation". That's where, after they pay you, they go after the other guy's insurance for reimbursement.

If they get enough back to cover your deductible, they will get it back to you.
My concern was that they put a check in the mail for the photo estimate before I even find out an amount. If that happens, I suppose I could not cash the check until I am happy. I just wasn't sure if there could be any negotiations if they had already sent the check based on the photo estimate.

I'll have to look at going through my insurance. It might be easier for me to let them deal with Progressive.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
Time to start talking to Progressive about your need to be sure you are medically OK. Semi-sarcasterisks. Unless you have signed away your rights to compensation, that is all on the table. Not uncommon for insurers to randomly send you an offer over the cost of repairs if you sign a paper saying you won't sue them.
I consider myself as being an honest and ethical person, but I do kind of wish I at least had that leverage to get what I'm wanting without issue. Unfortunately, I already informed the Progressive representative on a recorded call that myself and all passengers were fine (I know, I probably shouldn't have done that).

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Get a lawyer. This ain’t the 1980’s where you can keep the money and fix it yourself anymore.

ask for depreciation and a rental car too.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I consider myself as being an honest and ethical person, but I do kind of wish I at least had that leverage to get what I'm wanting without issue. Unfortunately, I already informed the Progressive representative on a recorded call that myself and all passengers were fine (I know, I probably shouldn't have done that).
I don't know the nature of the accident, nor the potential for related issues down the line. I do see it as they insured a driver who hit me and that is their risk. They'd be up in arms if anybody missed a payment but are often equally offended when asked to simply do the right thing and pay out what it takes to make it right. I consider myself ethical as well, but I have taken unsolicited checks from insurance and waived my right to sue. I'd get their appraiser over to your shop, and if they try to screw you, call an atty.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
I’ve always heard that you could opt for a check for the damages and whether you got the vehicle repaired or not was up to you (assuming you own the vehicle outright or the lienholder doesn’t require you to repair it). Does anyone know of a law that states this specifically or if it is up to each insurance company?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Get a lawyer. This ain’t the 1980’s where you can keep the money and fix it yourself anymore.

Take my word "depreciation" also know as diminished value is very hard to get unless it's pretty major...then they'll still run you around until they wear you down.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ve always heard that you could opt for a check for the damages and whether you got the vehicle repaired or not was up to you (assuming you own the vehicle outright or the lienholder doesn’t require you to repair it). Does anyone know of a law that states this specifically or if it is up to each insurance company?
They have to pay you whether you get the car fixed or not. In fact, that’s exactly what they’re offering to do. You’re perfectly within your rights to negotiate with them if you don’t think their offer is fair. They can also say, take it or leave it and then you’d have to decide if you want to file with your insurance company or get a lawyer involved. I wouldn’t get a lawyer involved unless the difference is substantial because he’s going to take a big cut of whatever you settle for. And if everyone truly is fine, I think you did the right thing by telling them that.

Reactions: GloryDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Take my word "depreciation" also know as diminished value is very hard to get unless it's pretty major...then they'll still run you around until they wear you down.
If it’s not pretty major damage, depreciation won’t come into play. Last car I sold, I went through CarMax’s website & checked the box for no accidents (I’d had some hail damage & a minor fender bender that I honestly didn’t think about). When they inspected the car, they found it all & noted it in their report but didn’t change their offer at all since it had all been repaired.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He said it was a old car. Can't get diminished value if car is over certain age. That is for newer cars.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They give you three years to settle the personal injury claim. They know some injuries don't show up for a good while. That recording doesn't mean anything. Plus, you can't speak for someone else in the vehicle. I just got my daughter 14K after doctor's bills for seat belt bruise and the other insurance company paid legal fees outside of the settlement. The accident was a year ago. I will say this Progressive are hard asses. State Farm is not far behind. Now Shelter and Farm Bureau are the best for dealing claims with.

I will add this, adjusters are good at what they do. They can look at photo and know exactly what it will take to fix it. They are trained really well the school they go to are not easy. I had a chance to visit Farm Bureau Tech where they train their adjusters. I was really impressed. They had recked cars and other things like roofs with hail and wind damage.

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
It seems to me that most claims wind up being adjusted upwards after the body shop starts doing the work and finds additional work that needs to be done. So, I would go ahead and take the car to a shop and get it fixed. Otherwise, you're likely to have more damage than you're being paid for. regardless of if you take their photo estimate or get an estimate at a body shop.
This all day. I’m a licensed adjuster and also have experience as a body shop estimator. Progressive WILL miss something on the photo estimate. They will also likely miss something on the preliminary in person estimate. This usually happens after the tech has torn down the vehicle and finds hidden damage. At which time the shop will issue a supplement and Progressive will issue an additional check. I’d be happy to look at the shop estimate and your pics for you. Hope this helps.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
This all day. I’m a licensed adjuster and also have experience as a body shop estimator. Progressive WILL miss something on the photo estimate. They will also likely miss something on the preliminary in person estimate. This usually happens after the tech has torn down the vehicle and finds hidden damage. At which time the shop will issue a supplement and Progressive will issue an additional check. I’d be happy to look at the shop estimate and your pics for you. Hope this helps.
I would fully expect them to “miss” something. Whether it’s on purpose or not I guess is debatable. This is an older high mileage vehicle and the damage is minor. I have no concerns whatsoever about further unknown damage that would keep me from driving it. Ideally, I would just like a fair value check for the damage and let me go about my business with me fixing all of it, some of it, or none of it later on. Any idea how I can get Progressive to agree to that? In my mind they would be better off to settle with me at a lower amount than what the body shop estimates. However, it seems they maybe would rather me put it in the shop and let them work direct with the shop so they can argue over the work/cost.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
They have to pay you whether you get the car fixed or not. In fact, that’s exactly what they’re offering to do. You’re perfectly within your rights to negotiate with them if you don’t think their offer is fair. They can also say, take it or leave it and then you’d have to decide if you want to file with your insurance company or get a lawyer involved. I wouldn’t get a lawyer involved unless the difference is substantial because he’s going to take a big cut of whatever you settle for. And if everyone truly is fine, I think you did the right thing by telling them that.
Unless it is someone who is clearly for the little people. #morguhamorguh

• Haha

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Nobody has asked the most important question: how much $ are we talking about here? Unless we’re talking about vehicle damage exceeding $30k, any talk about getting a lawyer involved is pointless.

ScottishDawg

Mar 11, 2021
Nobody has asked the most important question: how much $ are we talking about here? Unless we’re talking about vehicle damage exceeding $30k, any talk about getting a lawyer involved is pointless.
I would never go down the road of involving a lawyer on this. My initial estimate I got came back under $3k. Again, I would be willing to settle for less. It’s really about the principle of the matter and getting a fair check to make me “whole” again so I can fix it how I see fit.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I would never go down the road of involving a lawyer on this. My initial estimate I got came back under $3k. Again, I would be willing to settle for less. It’s really about the principle of the matter and getting a fair check to make me “whole” again so I can fix it how I see fit.
Not saying you're right, wrong or anything else - but when you start dealing with an insurance company with a motivation of "the principle of the matter", you're more often than not hustling backwards. This sounds relatively minor - get your car fixed and move on with your life.

Reactions: Shmuley and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not saying you're right, wrong or anything else - but when you start dealing with an insurance company with a motivation of "the principle of the matter", you're more often than not hustling backwards. This sounds relatively minor - get your car fixed and move on with your life.
I think what he wants is some cash, but not fix his car. Which is fine. But you're pretty much going to have to take what they offer because it's going to be next to impossible to fight them over it, especially for such a small amount.

Reactions: dorndawg

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
I might be overthinking this, but if you carry collision insurance on the car then your insurance company might have a problem insuring a wrecked car that was never repaired.

I'm neither an insurance agent or a lawyer, just something I heard a long time ago.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Progressive Insurance is crap. They tried to walk away from a claim where one of their policy holders rear ended my son going down the highway in a school zone. I have Farm Bureau, Farm Bureau paid the clam and went after Progressive and the driver

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022

Of course you can. It’s called agreed value coverage. I had it when I had a classic car. You send them a bunch of pics of your vehicle and both agree on your amount of coverage. If something happens, you have the right to take a check and fix it yourself. I assume this is what the OP had for himself and why the insurance company is giving him the option. Most classic car owners either want to do the work themselves or are very particular about who works on their cars.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Did the photo thing with Allstate a few years back for the estimate. No issues until the body shop got into and found unseen damage. Had to get Allstate to approve but wound up being a 5200 vs 3400 repair.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login