OT: This is amazing.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It was spared because of landscaping? The article cites a lack of brush on the property and the fact that the owners installed some stones around the house as a major reason why the house didnt burn. So all the other properties that burned had brush and unkempt yards?
And the fact that the roof was clear of debris was another reason listed. I dont think every other house had crap sitting on their roof.
Fire jumps across streets and intersections- it can jump some stone landscaping.

The owners said there were foot long pieces of wood floating in the air on fire- that stuff just happened to not land at the base of their wood house.
Its a fascinating event, for sure.

17ing Yahoo/Business Insider article thats just speculative.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I've seen photos like this before where irrigation systems have saved homes in Montana from fires also have a good fire lane or track around your property.
ETA: I've seen people watering their house which has helped

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
You can also note that the house has a metal roof. The article claims that a metal roof isn't more fire resistant than a asphalt shingle roof. From a practical standpoint I don't think this is true. A metal roof has to be more fire resistant if enough embers or floating debris lands on a an asphalt roof the shingles will start to melt. It would also be interesting to know how many of the surrounding houses were painted vs raw wood or pealing paint. To some degree a thick coat of paint will keep embers from catching hold.

Edit

Also how many of the surrounding houses had thatch roofs. I've seen decent houses in Belize have thatch roofs, I'm not sure how prevalent this is in Hawaii.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
The article I read about the house said it was made of cinder blocks. I have questions.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That’s amazing. Relief that your house didn’t burn and you didn’t die obviously but man that’s kinda depressing looking out your window now to see all your friends and neighbors gone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login