OT - Thoughts on How Fans React to Players Entering the Portal

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
No idea why this popped up on my FB feed. I didn't read all responses, but the majority I saw were classy.

Many times when I see a social media post about one of our players transferring there seems to be more "negative" responses.

To me, it seems our fans are overly negative toward out athletes, university and town. The Ole Miss fans I know would never publicly dog Ajax, City Grocery, etc., but our fans routinely put down Little Dooey, Two Brothers and Obys. Do our fans have some type of inferiority complex that drives us to eat our own? Any way to fix this.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
It does seem like State fans are overly negative, but I also don’t really pay much attention to other fanbases. Me personally, does it irritate me when players transfer? Sometimes, but it’s also their life, so their decisions have a direct impact on them, not me.

I wish State got all the best recruits and they stayed for 5 years, but it just doesn’t work like that. Thank you for your service and next one up.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
State fans are definitely negative and OM fans do seem to overly pump up anything Oxford…. However, I’ve never heard anyone trash 2 Brothers. And I hope I never do.

Reactions: biodawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Do our fans not understand that players, recruits, future recruits and their friends/families read these boards and other social media? Dog out a player or someone transferring and his nephew in the 6th grade reads and remembers it. If that kid blossoms into a 4 star, he will remember how we treated his uncle.

If you want to negative, make some friends and start a text group.

There's a saying in the AF, praise/be positive in public, be negative in private.

Reactions: WrightGuy821

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
No idea why this popped up on my FB feed. I didn't read all responses, but the majority I saw were classy.

Many times when I see a social media post about one of our players transferring there seems to be more "negative" responses.

To me, it seems our fans are overly negative toward out athletes, university and town. The Ole Miss fans I know would never publicly dog Ajax, City Grocery, etc., but our fans routinely put down Little Dooey, Two Brothers and Obys. Do our fans have some type of inferiority complex that drives us to eat our own? Any way to fix this.

You see 10x more negative posts from State fans because you consume 10x more State related content.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You see 10x more negative posts from State fans because you consume 10x more State related content.
I'm going by that one post, I didn't see any negative responses (i didn't read them all). In a similar MSU related post, there would be several negative responses.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
ALL fans are negative toward good players leaving in the portal. Some fanbases are just more fake about it, and play the game better. Take Ole Miss and MSU for example, they are much more fake and we are more down to earth, i.e. real. So it appears they are not as negative.

Does this matter? I don't know, probably not at the end. The truly huge, powerful fanbases, and the fanbases that cover a whole state (think Arkansas or Tennessee) like Bama/Georgia/LSU/Auburnetc. have aspects of all of it, with maybe bigger shades of fakeness or realness.

Bigger question is - holy crap, why is T.J. McCants in the portal? Dude just helped them win a natty and it's not like he's not playing. Sounds to me like an LSU mercenary. Ole Miss SHOULD be mad about that one. These are the type players that straight piss me off (if my assumption is correct). This is why I want LSU to lose. I understand they are just taking innovating and advantage of the reality of this whole deal, but that doesn't mean I can't vigorously root against them and laugh when their plans fail.

ETA: Paragraph above was apparently wrong, appears McCants was an upcoming senior and his PT did drop off. Perhaps encouraged to hit the portal. Sorry TJ, I read you wrong. Even still, you don't think you would be better off staying in the same program for your senior year?

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
It depends on the player and the perceived reason for transferring imo. If they're in a crowded position and can't break out to get playing time, for instance when Skinner left, it was very much a "good luck dude, go find PT somewhere and kill it" and he did. Couldn't have been happier for him. Or maybe it's someone like Forsythe or Hatcher leaving, same thing for me. They'll always be thought of fondly for their contributions especially to the title, and I hope they land in a great spot and shine the next year.

If a guy who is an everyday starter and middle of the order bat just wants to hop to a superteam or ring chase, then it's Bye Felicia from me. No loyalty to us, so why should we be kissing their ***? I don't hate them for leaving, it's a business decision, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Adios, next man up.

Reactions: stateu1

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If it's a good player that leaves for NIL- 17'm
Ifs it's a marginal/lesser player leaving for playing time - no problem

Reactions: NukeDogg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
For the last 5 years, ever since transferring in major sports became a popular off-season game for half the players to participate in, I have noticed and commented on how comically childish many posters on here are. The emotional lashing out is a really bad look for an adult, but it happens over and over on here.

Whats hilarious, and Ive been ripped on countless times for pointing it out(because it keeps happening) is posters are angry and petty over the portal existing and players leaving, but they welcome players coming in due to the portal. Its inconsistent as 17. The players leaving are traitors, they wont amount to anything, they are selfish and doing it for the money, they have no loyalty, etc. But apparently none of that applies to players coming to MSU.
What a joke.

I have no idea if MSU fans are more unhinged than other major college sports fanbases. My guess is MSU fans are not more unhinged.
Fan is short for Fanatic for a reason.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Like many have said, circumstances matter, but one thing I try to remind myself of is that none of us have any idea what these kids were promised when they signed, and this didn’t just start with NIL. Playing time, jobs, $$$, women, who knows?

I do know, though, that these incentives tend to dry up quickly when star HS players don’t pan out, so I can see how relationships can sour in a hurry when stuff like this happens. It’s been a part of the game for a long time. It’s just now more public with social media and the portal

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Like many have said, circumstances matter, but one thing I try to remind myself of is that none of us have any idea what these kids were promised when they signed, and this didn’t just start with NIL. Playing time, jobs, $$$, women, who knows?

I do know, though, that these incentives tend to dry up quickly when star HS players don’t pan out, so I can see how relationships can sour in a hurry when stuff like this happens. It’s been a part of the game for a long time. It’s just now more public with social media and the portal

Welcome to the real word "Pre-Madonnas". Just like in a job, if you don't perform you are expendable. This will become reality quickly, especially now with the $$ some are reportedly being paid.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login