OT - TIL I have been turning left on red onto one-way streets illegally

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
In the state I grew up, at that time, you could turn left onto one-way streets when the light was red, regardless if you were on a one-way or a two-way street.

For the last 2.5 years when I go into the office a couple times a week, I have turned left on red onto a one-way street, even though I had been on a two-way street. Probably done it close to 100 times now.
Well damn- apparently here I can only turn left on red if both my street and the street I am turning onto are one-way. Looked up the law for the state I grew up in and yep, thats the law there now too!

Apparently only 5 states still allow you to turn left on red from a two-way street to a one-way street.
Wonder how I would do if I had to take the driving test again without studying? Pretty sure I would get the question about distance from a fire hydrant wrong too.

...didnt learn by getting a ticket- a co-worker told me about the turning law.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
In the state I grew up, at that time, you could turn left onto one-way streets when the light was red, regardless if you were on a one-way or a two-way street.

For the last 2.5 years when I go into the office a couple times a week, I have turned left on red onto a one-way street, even though I had been on a two-way street. Probably done it close to 100 times now.
Well damn- apparently here I can only turn left on red if both my street and the street I am turning onto are one-way. Looked up the law for the state I grew up in and yep, thats the law there now too!

Apparently only 5 states still allow you to turn left on red from a two-way street to a one-way street.
Wonder how I would do if I had to take the driving test again without studying? Pretty sure I would get the question about distance from a fire hydrant wrong too.

Laws don't apply to your kind, just us peons.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

To Turn on a Red Light, You cannot cross other traffic.

Or that's what my Drivers ed teacher told me.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Can't wait to see this one on the SPS magazine cover this weekend. I swear Drebin's rag practically writes itself sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
It's also illegal to masturbate on an Airline airplane.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
To Turn on a Red Light, You cannot cross other traffic.

Or that's what my Drivers ed teacher told me.
Yeah, but it's still legal to do so in 5 states. Oncoming traffic is stopped because it's a red light, so you turn left.

I get why states have moved away from allowing it.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I would not have considered turning left across a lane of traffic onto a one-way street something that was acceptable.

Tangent, I'm given to understand that if you're in the inside lane of a double-right-turn (for example at the top of the I-55/Lakeland Drive southbound exit facing St. Dominics), that it's okay to turn right on red even though you're not in the outside lane. Anybody know for sure? It still feels wrong to me.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I would not have considered turning left across a lane of traffic onto a one-way street something that was acceptable.

Tangent, I'm given to understand that if you're in the inside lane of a double-right-turn (for example at the top of the I-55/Lakeland Drive southbound exit facing St. Dominics), that it's okay to turn right on red even though you're not in the outside lane. Anybody know for sure? It still feels wrong to me.
In the scenario you describe, unless posted signs prohibit it, both lanes should be able to make a right on red as long as they stay in their respective lanes. At least that's how it is here.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Yeah, but it's still legal to do so in 5 states. Oncoming traffic is stopped because it's a red light, so you turn left.

I get why states have moved away from allowing it.
Which 5 states?

And I see how it makes sense like that, but I don't trust other drivers that much.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Which 5 states?

And I see how it makes sense like that, but I don't trust other drivers that much.
I don't know but it would be like playing Russian Roulette every time you drive here in Mississippi **

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
The Washington State Driver Guide states, "After stopping, you may turn right on red unless prohibited. You may also turn left from a one-way or two-way street into a one-way street unless prohibited."

Thanks for bringing this up @mstateglfr. I had been meaning to check on this law.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login