OT: Tracking rainfall runoff

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Some time ago someone here posted a link to a site that allows you to track where a raindrop flows after hitting the ground in the US as it flows to the ocean. Really neat site. https://river-runner.samlearner.com/

Does anyone know a link to find the full area that drains into a specific river / creek? Or does a thing exist?
IE, If I pick a river, it shows on a map the area that drains specifically into it? Pearl River, Tallahatchie River, Bear Creek
That data has to be what is built into the River Runner site.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
All I know is every creek, stream, small rivers run into either Pearl River or Miss River in Mississippi. Those two run into the gulf.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
All I know is every creek, stream, small rivers run into either Pearl River or Miss River in Mississippi. Those two run into the gulf.
From 20 south and west of 49ish drains to the gulf via the Pascagoula River watershed.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The site you are looking for is USGS Streamstats. It's only full functional in Mississippi and Alabama so far.

Reactions: LongRanger

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
The site you are looking for is USGS Streamstats. It's only full functional in Mississippi and
Except those that run into the Tombigbee, Escatawpa, Pascagoola,
Theres a ridge between Iuka and Tishomingo. Ironically, water falling on the west side runs into the Tenn-Tom. Water falling on the east side runs into Bear creek, then tenn river before making it to Ky and into the Miss River.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
A Mississippi rivers trivia tidbit. The 6 largest (or longest, not sure) rivers in the state supply the names for the 6 streets that run east-west on either side of Capitol Street from the Old State Capitol in Jackson.

Tombigbee, Pascagoula, Pearl, Amite, Yazoo, Mississippi

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Some more trivia, the Pascagoula River watershed is the largest river system in the lower 48 without a dam on a major tributary. I recently finished my goal of kayaking the larger streams in the watershed which included over 700 river miles of paddling.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You're a military dude. Was it common to get away with that kind of brazen lack of specificity in your days of gruntdom???***
You had zone of operation and that is all you were concern with. You know your priority and what assets was available to your zone. As far as what I said, it was a joke. I thought it would be obvious that not every stream, creek and rivers in Mississippi runs into the Pearl or Miss River. That would be impossible.

Last edited:

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
A Mississippi rivers trivia tidbit. The 6 largest (or longest, not sure) rivers in the state supply the names for the 6 streets that run east-west on either side of Capitol Street from the Old State Capitol in Jackson.

Tombigbee, Pascagoula, Pearl, Amite, Yazoo, Mississippi
I had never made this association. Genius.

Reactions: She Mate Me

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Another piece of watershed trivia. Water falling on the west side of U.S. 51 in Madison across from the Kroger goes to the Mississippi River via the Big Black. Water falling on the east side in the Kroger parking lot goes to the Pearl River.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
What about all the raindrops that are absorbed in the ground and don't go to a river? What happens to them, wiseguy?!?***
They get absorbed...
Im Horny Sponge Bob GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login