OT. Travel to New England.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I’m gonna be in New England for Memorial Day. We are flying in to Boston and gonna tour around. I know the pack always has great suggestions. Any suggestions on what to do outside of Massachusetts? We’ve got that state covered.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Maine, New Hampshire & Vermont offer up a ton of things to do. Mt. Washington is wild. There are a ton of neat towns up and down the Maine coast.

If you want to go south from Boston, I hear Cape Cod is great. Especially in the Summer. Haven’t spent much time there though.

Montreal is basically New Orleans in Canada. It’s just across the border.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Boy aren't you in luck... I just happened to be reading my newest issue of Whisky Advocate and happened upon this jewel. The Preserve Sporting Club in Richmond, R.I. is only 90 minutes from Boston apparently and it's the home of the...

Maker's Mark Hobbit House.

View attachment 24479

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I had a similar trip awhile back and my wife and I made our way to Newport to see the Golden Age mansions. We stopped in Plymouth on that trip also and did a ghost tour.
Also did the Lexington and Concord discovery. Ton of Revolutionary War history things to do.
In the distant past I visited the USS Constitution Museum and also the Aquarium as a same day trip.
If you like history, you are in the middle of it.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I was going to say Newport as well

The mansions are incredible. The HBO series Gilded Age is filmed in the mansion.
Also, the food in town is great and nightlife on the wharfs is a good time.

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
Mansions in Newport will absolutely shock you. Also try Rockport, MA. Small seaside town with cool harbor. Very similar to what you would see in Maine if you don’t want to go there. Be prepared to be underwhelmed if you visit Plymouth Rock.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I went to Portland Maine one time. I was visiting friends in Boston and they took me up there. I didn’t really want to go but I was blown away. Awesome place to visit, at least during the summer. Probably not a place to make a whole trip out of but definitely worth a visit.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I lived up there a couple years. I went to Portland, ME a couple times but unfortunately didn’t get to explore ME outside of that or RI at all.

I know NH and VT though. Portsmouth, NH is great. On the water with several cool restaurants and bars. Mansions in Rye Beach, NH are cool to see. Second the Mt. Washington comment. Weather can be crazy on the mountain itself, but the hotel is cool to see. Breton Woods conference was there, and Thomas Edison did the lighting if I remember right.

People talk about the leaves in the NE, but I love NH/VT in late May/June. Never seen something so green. Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, VT was a nice place to see and has drinks and a game room downstairs. I’m a big fan of Burlington. It’s on the lake, and you can probably track down some Heady Topper, which was Beer Advocate’s #1 beer for a long time. Shelburne Farms is nearby. It was this farm owned by the Vanderbilt’s (I think) and you can walk around on it, hang out, etc. You have to have a reason to be there, but I just went for breakfast then stayed a few hours

Edit: wanted to add that Whistlepig looks like they have a tasting room in Queechee now. That’s right by Woodstock. Don’t think that existed while I was living there, but that’s where I first got into Whistlepig. It’s in the same building as Simon Pearce, and you can have lunch/dinner there over rapids/a waterfall

Last edited:

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Having married into a family from NE that has a lake house in SW NH, I will advise you that the traffic and the crowds will be brutal on any summer weekend.
Driving north from Boston, it is mandatory that you stop in the first NH state liquor store. You will thank me. Great prices and sales plus no sales tax!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login