OT: Turks and Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Is this just their version a "speed trap" for revenue? It seems to me that all the stories I've read about the arrests were people leaving the island, which implies that they showed up with ammo, had ammo the whole time, did not harm, and were returning home. Their intent really shouldn't be a question. Anyway, most recent one I've heard of got suspended sentence and fine. Article cites a couple of similar cases with similar results. End result is guy paid a LOT of money to spend a few extra weeks in T&C, albeit out on bail most of the time...

https://news.google.com/articles/CB...dHNvbi1zZW50ZW5jZS8?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How dumb does one have to be to not check every nook and cranny of all luggage when traveling internationally? There is absolutely no excuse for having "loose ammo" in your baggage if going through several security screenings, especially if traveling OCONUS and not understanding the laws and mindset of the country you are visiting. I'm not opining on the punishment being just or unjust or excessive, just that you have to be beyond stupid to be in that situation int he first place. A once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
How dumb does one have to be to not check every nook and cranny of all luggage when traveling internationally? There is absolutely no excuse for having "loose ammo" in your baggage if going through several security screenings, especially if traveling OCONUS and not understanding the laws and mindset of the country you are visiting. I'm not opining on the punishment being just or unjust or excessive, just that you have to be beyond stupid to be in that situation int he first place. A once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
It shouldn't be difficult. Not defending the guy. I've been nervous before back closer to 9/11 when they were swabbing for "explosive" residue and I realized I had brought my backpack that I packed out stuff to the shooting range in. I was surprised that nothing got flagged then.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I dont think its a speed trap situation, since its so rarely an issue when you consider how many tourists they get each year. Dont blame the country at all.

In instances where someone is caught during their return to the US, I view this as 100% the fault of the morons who somehow manage to pack a bag with loose ammo, get on a plane, fly internationally, unpack that bag, repack that bag, then try to fly back.
I cant fathom a situation where someone just has loose ammo in a bag and doesnt realize it. That seems so incredibly irresponsible that I struggle to think of justifiable situations where it could happen.

People who arent willing to keep track of their ammo and actually unwittingly keep it in luggage that they then use for an international flight and vacation, simply do not deserve to continue to own guns once they return to the US.
^ unpopular opinion, I am sure.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I can't say too much. Leaving for my honeymoon I was going through security at Memphis Airport and they kept running my bag back and forth through x ray. Then they would pull it out and search it. This process repeated itself for a solid 5-10 minutes. They said nothing to me the entire time. I'm just standing there patiently waiting. Then they find it. A knife had gotten under the false bottom of the bag that keeps it spread out. I had no idea it was in there. Didn't know the bag had that false bottom, but of course it looks like I'm trying to hide the knife and sneak it on the plane. The woman TSA agent game 17ing unglued. She ran up to me with that knife waving it in my face screaming at the top of her lungs how this was a very prohibited item. Well no ****, Sherlock. After she had her public power trip meltdown her supervisor came over and was much more professional. I explained that was a bag I use to carry hunting stuff with and when I cleaned it out I missed that knife because I had no idea that bottom was there for it to get under. I'm not trying to plot a terrorist attack. Just trying to go on my honeymoon. He understood and while I lost the knife that was the end of it.

Now here is where it gets interesting. As we are packing up to come back home my wife jokingly said to check my bag to make sure I didn't have another knife in it. But just to prove to her I was indeed unarmed I looked in the bag again...and found another knife. All I can figure is that they were sitting on top of each other under that bottom and x ray only showed the one and when they found it they never bothered to x ray my bag again and I was allowed to board with a knife in my carry on. We stuck it in checked baggage for the flight home.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
I dont think its a speed trap situation, since its so rarely an issue when you consider how many tourists they get each year. Dont blame the country at all.

In instances where someone is caught during their return to the US, I view this as 100% the fault of the morons who somehow manage to pack a bag with loose ammo, get on a plane, fly internationally, unpack that bag, repack that bag, then try to fly back.
I cant fathom a situation where someone just has loose ammo in a bag and doesnt realize it. That seems so incredibly irresponsible that I struggle to think of justifiable situations where it could happen.

People who arent willing to keep track of their ammo and actually unwittingly keep it in luggage that they then use for an international flight and vacation, simply do not deserve to continue to own guns once they return to the US.
Do you realize how damn stupid you sound to people who actually understand how bullets work? What’s irresponsible about having loose ammo in a bag? How would you suggest that one “keep track” of his ammo?

Yes, there are rules to follow when flying with guns and ammo, but that is more about regulation and control than any danger that loose ammo poses to the flying public. It’s a security issue, not a safety issue.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Do you realize how damn stupid you sound to people who actually understand how bullets work? What’s irresponsible about having loose ammo in a bag? How would you suggest that one “keep track” of his ammo?

Yes, there are rules to follow when flying with guns and ammo, but that is more about regulation and control than any danger that loose ammo poses to the flying public. It’s a security issue, not a safety issue.
I did not suggest loose ammo poses a danger to the flying public.

I clearly said it is irresponsible to not know you have loose ammo in a travel bag, and I clearly said if you arent willing to keep track of your ammo and know you arent illegally carrying ammo on an international trip, you shouldnt own guns when you get back to the US.

Neither of those comments comes anywhere close to suggesting loose ammo poses a danger to the flying public.
I agree loose ammo is a security issue.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I can totally relate. No telling how many knives, wrenches, and screwdrivers I’ve thrown away at airport security. I’ve never been busted with ammunition but I’ve washed and dried enough to start a small war. I have a shoulder bag that I use for everything from going to the range to work travel. It’s not out of the question that there’s a .22 or a skeet load in it somewhere as we speak.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
I did not suggest loose ammo poses a danger to the flying public.

I clearly said it is irresponsible to not know you have loose ammo in a travel bag, and I clearly said if you arent willing to keep track of your ammo and know you arent illegally carrying ammo on an international trip, you shouldnt own guns when you get back to the US.

Neither of those comments comes anywhere close to suggesting loose ammo poses a danger to the flying public.
I agree loose ammo is a security issue.
Please explain how it is irresponsible and why that should affect one’s ability to own a firearm. You are a moron.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012

As usual, you have no 17ing clue what you're talking about.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Please explain how it is irresponsible and why that should affect one’s ability to own a firearm. You are a moron.
I expect ammunition to be transported in a secure manner and stored in a secure location.
If someone is unable to do that, they shouldn't own guns.

Again, I recognize it may be an unpopular opinion because...MUH RAAGHTS!

As usual, you have no 17ing clue what you're talking about.
Sure I know what I am talking about. It's a conclusion I came to through thought.
Not all arms are legal. Not all individualas are allowed to own arms. There are restrictions on both. Recognizing that, I think that those who are unwilling or unable to secure ammunition to the point that they are unintentionally 17ing flying internationally with ammo shouldn't own guns.

You clearly disagree, but I am not accusing you of not knowing what you are talking about.
That's interesting.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I expect ammunition to be transported in a secure manner and stored in a secure location.
what is a “secure manner” and “secure location”? And why should failing to meet what you deem acceptable for those two criteria prevent someone from owning a gun? They are two different things.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022

Again, I recognize it may be an unpopular opinion because...MUH RAAGHTS!

Sure I know what I am talking about. It's a conclusion I came to through thought.
Not all arms are legal. Not all individualas are allowed to own arms. There are restrictions on both. Recognizing that, I think that those who are unwilling or unable to secure ammunition to the point that they are unintentionally 17ing flying internationally with ammo shouldn't own guns.

You clearly disagree, but I am not accusing you of not knowing what you are talking about.
That's interesting.
What exactly is a secure location? What exactly is this irresponsibly stored ammo going to do to harm you? You are a complete 17ing moron and I think you enjoy showing people how ignorant you are.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
That's interesting.
That’s because he knows what the 17 he’s talking about and you don’t. You are ignorant as hell on the issue of firearms and ammo and it shows. The folks who know what they are talking about realize how damn stupid your arguments are.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Those running things there are retarded crooks. Let 'em in and spend money then 17 'em on the way out. Clearly mistakes were made but no Ill intent. Great customer service. 17 that country or commune or whatever the 17 it is.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
what is a “secure manner” and “secure location”? And why should failing to meet what you deem acceptable for those two criteria prevent someone from owning a gun? They are two different things.
The best way to transport ammunition is in a plastic or metal box inserted into the grip of your favorite firearm. If I’m feeling nostalgic I transport it in a round metal cylinder with six holes drilled into it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Well...I'm guilty of this. Luckily I was traveling domestically. About 15 years ago I had a shotgun shell fall out of my turkey vest into my big duffle bag when I was driving back from a hunting trip in Florida. TSA found it a few weeks later and pressed me hard. They played 20 questions and I got off press easy. All they did was give me a warning. A few weeks after that, they busted me with a ThermaCell butane cartridge in my duffle bag as I was headed to a hunt in Nebraska. It wasn't even a spare one. It was the one in my thermacell unit. After that, I was put on a list for a few years. I always got my **** scanned pretty hard.

You can actually check ammo fairly easily. It just can't be loose ammo. A random shell will burn you. It needs to be in the (full) original box and in some sort of locked gun case. And always declare it. The check process only takes about 10 mins. Unless you're flying out of Jackson, then it takes an extra 30 mins.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
What can a few loose bullets do?? Ask this guy.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What exactly is a secure location? What exactly is this irresponsibly stored ammo going to do to harm you? You are a complete 17ing moron and I think you enjoy showing people how ignorant you are.
That is a lot of rage.

If you are unwilling or unable to keep track of ammunition, to the point where you don't realize you are flying with it into another country, I do not think you are responsible enough to own a gun.
Again, it is OK for you to disagree.
That’s cool man, no need to fly off the handle.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Ammunition boxes, carrying cases, and home safes exist.
Someone's Trader Joe’s reusable grocery tote bag is better than it being stored so loosely that it is accidentally found in your vacation luggage.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Irresponsible or not, it’s just plain stupid to not check your bag for things you know damn well aren’t going to be allowed on the plane. Even more so if your flying internationally.

Reactions: dorndawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I absolutely believe this is some kind of revenue scheme, but reasonable people will disagree.

Here is an interview with two pretty damn reasonable sounding guys who were at the time sitting on the island trying to get back home because of this egregious mistake**.

Amazing how they don't catch these dangerous criminals coming onto their fair island, but they harass and detain them with their families as they are attempting to go back home with some loose ammo and not a gun in sight...

ETA just realized the guy in the OP article is interviewed here. And watch how fast these islanders quit arresting tourists and threatening long prison terms when they realize they kicked a bit of a hornet's nest and can't just quietly fleece tourists with no consequences for their tourism. There are lots of similar looking islands in the Caribbean that don't needlessly 17 with their most vital cash cows.

Last edited:

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Think this is just a case of dumbasses. I'll give you a real "speed trap". Here in the island I live everyone sells painted coral, conch shells, etc. when you get to the airport they promptly take all that away from you because it's illegal to remove any of that. I'm not sure where they send it but I have my suspicions.

I assume they don't do this to the cruise ship visitors but I don't know for sure.

TLDR: are foreign countries trying to extract exery dollar they can? Yes. Are they corrupt? Most yes. Are they making bank on bullets in someone's shaving bag? No.

Don't be stupid and fly with bullets. Who TF does that?

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
That is a lot of rage.

If you are unwilling or unable to keep track of ammunition, to the point where you don't realize you are flying with it into another country, I do not think you are responsible enough to own a gun.
Again, it is OK for you to disagree.
That’s cool man, no need to fly off the handle.
It’s not rage. It’s just a negative reaction to absolute ignorance.

Reactions: DerHntr

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
Irresponsible or not, it’s just plain stupid to not check your bag for things you know damn well aren’t going to be allowed on the plane. Even more so if your flying internationally.
There’s a difference between a mistake and being irresponsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login