OT Used zero turn

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My BIL and I, mostly him, cut my MIL’s lawn. She lives in the country and we cut a lot of grass. Just guessing but maybe 3 acres. BIL has somehow kept her mower running but he spends too much time working on it. I don’t think that we will doing longer than 2-3 more years so I don’t think it is necessary to buy a new mower. Where is the best place to find a used zero turn in the central MS area?

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
My BIL and I, mostly him, cut my MIL’s lawn. She lives in the country and we cut a lot of grass. Just guessing but maybe 3 acres. BIL has somehow kept her mower running but he spends too much time working on it. I don’t think that we will doing longer than 2-3 more years so I don’t think it is necessary to buy a new mower. Where is the best place to find a used zero turn in the central MS area?

How much are you wanting to spend and are you brand loyal to any mowers? I would say Facebook marketplace has some for sale. I would probably contact local dealers to see if they have any or know where you could find one. Frederick's on Hwy 471 in Brandon would be one dealer you could contact.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Don’t have a set $ amount in mind. Any decent brand is fine. Need something for 2-3 years that will cut faster than what she has which is a 48” commercial tractor style Husqvarna. I call Fredericks. They service my push mower and string trimmer

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Good luck finding a used mower. There are some reputable people in the business. You might try talking to a dealer and ask them if they have a customer who might have a mower they are wanting to replace. I sold tractors, mowers, side-by-sides, etc. at a John Deere dealership for years. I always had customers wanting to buy new mowers but wanting us to take their used mower on a trade. Let’s face it, dealers don’t want used mowers. They are a pain in the ***. If you take a used mower on a trade and sell it you have to offer some type of warranty. Dealers don’t want that risk/headache. I always kept a list of people who I knew wanted to buy a new mower but needing to sell/trade their old ones. If somebody came in looking for a used mower, I would put the two guys together. It worked pretty well. I would definitely ask people who sell new mowers if they know somebody with a used one to sell. You might have some luck with that.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Need to burn the tape on this game.

Ahhh I get it. The old run rule strategy. Nice.

Last edited:

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
A lot depends on who owned the used mower. Was it serviced every 50 hours, did they use the proper oil? If it has 250 hours, were the hydros serviced? For 3 acres and you expect to not be using it in 4 years I would probably buy something like the mid tier Cub Cadet new for around 4000.00. Get the kawasaki fx series motor and be done with it. If serviced properly, that would do you for 10.

Don't buy anything that comes from. Lowes, tractor supply, etc. They are low end consumer grade, cheap motors.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Jeez just finance a new one and share the payments, especially if it’s in-law chores. If they balk on chipping in 17 em.

Anywho, If working on stuff isn’t your fancy, buying used is Russian Roulette unless you KNOW who owned and serviced it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Agree. You can get a really nice zero turn with 0%, 60 months and pay about $170/mo total. Split that.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My MIL is 90 and I’m just being honest I don’t think that we will be cutting grass for 60 months. What we have is trash and I expect cutting grass for 24-36 months is a stretch.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fredericks is the place for decent equipment, if you want to keep it. If it’s just for a few years I’d probably buy the cheap stuff from Lowe’s/Home Depot.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I’m not familiar with Fredricks, but if it’s not too far a drive, Safford Equipment in Safford AL is extremely popular for “pro-sumer” packages around here. An acquaintance at work got a new 52” Ariens ZT and a load of other yard tools for about 5k. I think he got a chainsaw, trimmer, blower and hedge clippers.
saffordequipment.com

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For that limited time I’d honestly price a mowing service, it might be cheaper or at least cost neutral for that length of time. For that length of time I’d probably buy a new big box store zero turn with a warranty. It will last a couple of years before any problems start to arise. You can get in one at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or TSC for under $3000 and my 10 year old Skag is worth more than that, but it’s been serviced. Buying used it’s a shot in the dark.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you guys are still going to have to mow it even after she's gone, go ahead and spend the money on a contractor's quality heavy duty machine. 3 acres of country mowing often means unlevel ground, gravel, stumps, roots, ditches, etc., those will chew through a homeowners quality mower in short order. The older I get, the more of a "buy once, cry once" type man I become.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If you know some golf course superintendents or are a member of a club find out who your Toro, Jacobsen or John Deere golf equipment salesman is ( not the little dealers) . Those guys lease mowers all the time and have to take them back after 2, 3 or 4 years. Either their dealership does or the leading company does and they can help you

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For that limited time I’d honestly price a mowing service, it might be cheaper or at least cost neutral for that length of time. For that length of time I’d probably buy a new big box store zero turn with a warranty. It will last a couple of years before any problems start to arise. You can get in one at Lowe’s, Home Depot, or TSC for under $3000 and my 10 year old Skag is worth more than that, but it’s been serviced. Buying used it’s a shot in the dark.

Concur with a lawn service, if you guys can find one. Depending on how far out she is that can be a tall order though (and old ladies are notoriously hard to please when it comes to yards).

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

I will sell you mine for $3000. It is a 54" Ariens with the Kawasaki engine with about 55 hours on it. Let me know today.

I have recently changed the oil in it to start the season, but I will change it again for you and change the air filter.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
Thought this was a Laremy Tunsil thread**

dawgfan1013

May 1, 2022
I know where a 48” zero turn of mine is sitting in Columbus at H&R Agripower for sale. Call Marty Sanders. It has 51 hrs on it and asking 3300 for it. I’m the only owner and it has 2 years of warranty left. Cut 2 acres with it and has fresh blades.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
^^^That's a smoking deal.

That a good deal, but if by "country" he means rough ground, roots, ditches, etc., a residential model will be torn up in a couple of years. We cut about 5 acres in a "country" setting, we had a commercial grade John Deer that lasted several years, but even it couldn't hold up long term. As mentioned above, it you can find someone to pay to do it, that's the best strategy for the short term. If one of you guys is going to keep mowing it long term, get a commercial model zero turn.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Gotcha Greenbean. I thought Ariens only sold commercial mowers. I just went to the dealer in the fall and bought a snowblower and the mowers were all commercial grade. $6K and up for all of the zero turns from Ariens. Looks like the have a couple of residential lines which is probably what archdog is selling. Makes alot more sense than selling a $6k mower for $3k with only 50 hours on it.

FWIW. I have owned lots of brands of lawn equipment in my life (JD, Toro, Cub, Craftsman, Murray) and this damn Ariens is the best thing I have ever had. I had a Crafstman 26" 2 stage snowblower before and it bogged down at 6-8" of snow. This mofo will move 3+' without breaking a sweat. I wish you boys could all come up and run the snowblower for a half hour or so in 24" of snow, its unbelievably satisfying shooting all that snow 60' up in the air with a little joystick aiming where you want it to go. The half hour is all you need though, after that you enter a painful world of sweaty and cold. The hour of snowblowing every other day got old really fast tbh. But every once in a while, it would be a blast.

View attachment 24376

View attachment 24377

View attachment 24378

Aug 20, 2006
I've got a buddy selling a 2012ish Graverly 58" (maybe) for 3k. It's in mint condition. I don't have all the details on the mower in hand, but I can find everything out if you're interested. He was just ready to upgrade, so he got a new one. I'd be happy to pass his info to you if you'd like? We live in the Meridian area.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login