OT: Vic Schaefer still

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
He's a great coach, but he just doesn't quite have the same magic at Texas. You have to think he probably regrets leaving.

Reactions: Dawgg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
When he left, we were one of the top WBB schools in the country, did we go after whoever was considered the 5th or 6th best WBB coach?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
When he left, we were one of the top WBB schools in the country, did we go after whoever was considered the 5th or 6th best WBB coach?

When he left, he was one of the top WBB coaches in the country, who made us a top team, not a top program.

He is still one of the top coaches, and we are not a top program.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
When he left, he was one of the top WBB coaches in the country, who made us a top team, not a top program.

He is still one of the top coaches, and we are not a top program.
He was our program. The only accomplishments worth noting at MSU in WBB were done under Schaefer. The only reason we are still somewhat attractive to recruits is because of what he did while he was here.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I would say he still is. Texas had 1 trip to the elite 8 in the past 15 years and Vic got there they have been 3 times in the last 4 years.

If he wanted to come back I'd be 100% on board. Purcell is a pretty good guy but he had a MAJOR flaw revealed in that bed crapping down the stretch.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
He was our program. The only accomplishments worth noting at MSU in WBB were done under Schaefer. The only reason we are still somewhat attractive to recruits is because of what he did while he was here.
That's why the coach we hired after him was so important. We had a recent winning history and, WBB wise good attendance and national exposure/attention. Winning, attendance and attention makes a program, you don't need 50 years of history, 5 years at a high level is enough to build a program, but HC hires are key they make the program. Had we gotten Mulkey, as an example, our program likely wouldn't have fallen off at all.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
Coach Vic is a wonderful coach and advocate for Women's Basketball. His postgame interviews are certainly different than some other coaches in this tournament. He brought an element of class to the game that many others do not.

Looking at his tournament record. His teams are really hard to beat when he has 5 days to prepare and are hit or miss with one day. Looked like yesterday NC State was just the quicker team. Texas had a size advantage but lacked the quickness to keep with a couple of the NCSU players. Going back to the MSU days South Carolina always had guards that could keep up with MSU's guards and MSU never had an answer to Aja Wilson. I think Texas has recruited a 6'9" player for next year. Texas will be a contender as long as Vic is there.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Actually, if I remember correctly, I think we did make an offer to Jeff Walz, which he promptly turned around and used to get a raise at Louisville.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yesterday was the 7 year anniversary of Morgan's shot that beat UConn. I think that shot broke UConn. They have only played for one championship since then when they lost to South Carolina in 22.

The pictures of me and my son at that game popped up in the "memories" on my phone yesterday. What a great day! We went to comic con, the pep rally at the hotel, and then the game.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's why the coach we hired after him was so important. We had a recent winning history and, WBB wise good attendance and national exposure/attention. Winning, attendance and attention makes a program, you don't need 50 years of history, 5 years at a high level is enough to build a program, but HC hires are key they make the program. Had we gotten Mulkey, as an example, our program likely wouldn't have fallen off at all.
Most times you're not going to get a great coach to follow another great coach unless the pay is insane, and in women's bball, it usually isn't. This isn't Deboar following Saban, and that phenomena only recently started in football, due to the money being out of control.

Johnnie Harris was the right hire for our program after Vic left. Cohen did tend to overthink things, just like he did after Mullen left. Should have promoted from within there too. When things are working, you keep them going, until they don't work. And when that time comes, people usually understand.

Same principle was there when Leach died. Things were working, so we continued them. Now obviously we picked the wrong guy to promote, but when it was all said and done, it was easy to split and everyone understood it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Most times you're not going to get a great coach to follow another great coach unless the pay is insane, and in women's bball, it usually isn't. This isn't Deboar following Saban, and that phenomena only recently started in football, due to the money being out of control.

Johnnie Harris was the right hire for our program after Vic left. Cohen did tend to overthink things, just like he did after Mullen left. Should have promoted from within there too. When things are working, you keep them going, until they don't work. And when that time comes, people usually understand.

Same principle was there when Leach died. Things were working, so we continued them. Now obviously we picked the wrong guy to promote, but when it was all said and done, it was easy to split and everyone understood it.
Certainly concur with Johnnie, if we couldn't get big name, should have promoted her.

After Mike died, I'm assuming Keenum told Arnett to not change a thing, then Arnett veered from those instructions and went out on his own.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
They didn't play well yesterday. Texas looked like they had never shot a three before. NC State was much better from three.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008

Exactly, given we were not going to pull a big time WBB coach it made perfect sense to have Johnnie Harris continue the culture that Vic had set and retain most all the players on the roster (since she recruited them). Also, it made sense to keep Harris because it was during the middle of the pandemic where coaches and players couldn't even really meet much in person. But, of course, Cohen had to screw things up as usual and bring in someone who was woefully unprepared for the job. Some of the damage that Cohen did as our AD can never really be undone and one of those is burning down our WBB program by both running off Schaefer and then not even trying to have any continuity with hiring Harris.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login