OT? Vietnam is known as the first "Televised War"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I wasn't alive for that. I do recall that Persian Gulf War and the advent of CNN. But, this is crazy seeing this conflict play out in almost real time following that twitter feed that Nicephorus posted, because everyone has a phone camera now.

Not intending to get political.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I wasn't alive for that. I do recall that Persian Gulf War and the advent of CNN. But, this is crazy seeing this conflict play out in almost real time following that twitter feed that Nicephorus posted, because everyone has a phone camera now.

Not intending to get political.
I was quite young but I can remember seeing the stuff from Vietnam on TV. The news had a graphic with the "body count" every evening. That and the Troubles in Northern Ireland were on nearly every evening.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
People NEED to see it. Many don't realize it, but from a time standpoint, we are now further from the Vietnam War than the Vietnam was from from WW2.

I think that's partially why so many young people in America are somewhat open to communism. They are so far removed from it, it's simply a novel idea to them ("if it's implemented correctly").

With that being said, the older I get, the more I'm over playing world police. All these ******** banging war drums need to send their children overseas to spill blood. Don't send mine.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People NEED to see it. Many don't realize it, but from a time standpoint, we are now further from the Vietnam War than the Vietnam was from from WW2.

I think that's partially why so many young people in America are somewhat open to communism. They are so far removed from it, it's simply a novel idea to them ("if it's implemented correctly").

With that being said, the older I get, the more I'm over playing world police. All these ******** banging war drums need to send their children overseas to spill blood. Don't send mine.

We have been insulated from our own stupidity for a long time, so there is relatively little negative feedback to being stupid. That's unfortunately probably going to change. THe old, hard times make tough people. Tough people make good times - Good times make soft people - Soft people make hard times Cycle.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
I disagree with the first part of your statement. I don't believe civilians "need" to see war. Those that have seen it wished they hadn't yet understand. Civilians will view it without the lens of firsthand experience and utilize their perception to judge and social justice warrior their way to perceived importance. That's a portion of the reason I believe we went to "hearts and minds" in Iraq....but that is another discussion.
You hit the nail on the head with the world police bit. I'm good with letting Russia do Russia. Wary of China, but if they want to 17 around their borders, go for it. The US can't seem to control what is within their borders, so ain't no sense in stickin our nose in other people's business outside our borders

***Edit***

We don't need to stick our nose into other people's business until they start stickin their nose into ours; at that point, they can smile and wait for the flash my friend

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We have been insulated from our own stupidity for a long time, so there is relatively little negative feedback to being stupid. That's unfortunately probably going to change. THe old, hard times make tough people. Tough people make good times - Good times make soft people - Soft people make hard times Cycle.

Sounds like the Israelites in the bible.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I disagree with the first part of your statement. I don't believe civilians "need" to see war. Those that have seen it wished they hadn't yet understand. Civilians will view it without the lens of firsthand experience and utilize their perception to judge and social justice warrior their way to perceived importance. That's a portion of the reason I believe we went to "hearts and minds" in Iraq....but that is another discussion.
You hit the nail on the head with the world police bit. I'm good with letting Russia do Russia. Wary of China, but if they want to 17 around their borders, go for it. The US can't seem to control what is within their borders, so ain't no sense in stickin our nose in other people's business outside our borders

***Edit***

We don't need to stick our nose into other people's business until they start stickin their nose into ours; at that point, they can smile and wait for the flash my friend
Give it a month or so and you will see why it's our business. You and I will be paying for this too.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Open. The. Pipeline.

Last edited by a moderator:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I can’t help but wonder if this will cause some mentality of hatred for the rest of the world for Ukrainians. Their sovereign borders are being crossed by a neighbor and the world is literally letting it happen. Yeah, there are sanctions but c’mon. Meanwhile their country is being invaded and God knows what else.

I’m not advocating for the US to go policing around there but the Useless Nations and EU need to pull their thumbs from their butts, get out of their little kumbaya circle jerk, and actually do something. What is happening isn’t a surprise to anyone.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I can’t help but wonder if this will cause some mentality of hatred for the rest of the world for Ukrainians. Their sovereign borders are being crossed by a neighbor and the world is literally letting it happen. Yeah, there are sanctions but c’mon. Meanwhile their country is being invaded and God knows what else.

I’m not advocating for the US to go policing around there but the Useless Nations and EU need to pull their thumbs from their butts, get out of their little kumbaya circle jerk, and actually do something. What is happening isn’t a surprise to anyone.
Europe will find itself cold and in the dark if it does. This has been a LONG time coming. The first cave in that led directly to this was one from Ronald Reagan, my political hero.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
What are our options? I see a lot of people clamoring for us to arm the Ukranians and then heavily sanction Russia. Those weapons will eventually fall in the hands of the Russians (see Afghanistan) and Putin will gladly starve his own people to boost his ego.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
What are our options? I see a lot of people clamoring for us to arm the Ukranians and then heavily sanction Russia. Those weapons will eventually fall in the hands of the Russians (see Afghanistan) and Putin will gladly starve his own people to boost his ego.
They won't starve. This isn't the old Soviet Union where they restricted private agriculture for political reasons. Russia is a net exporter of grain. We have no options except sanctions, which won't stop this. The only thing we have that would stop it is nukes. We aren't going to do that. What we have to do is start NOW to rearm. The Europeans must do the same.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

so..."I dont want to do anything, I want someone else to do something!"

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I didn't mean "starve" literally. Point being he won't really give a **** about his people as long as his ego is stroked. Arming the Ukraine would be the same as arming Russia at this point.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
so..."I dont want to do anything, I want someone else to do something!"

I mean, the UN is largely us as far as money and resources go, so it's not exactly pushing responsibility off to ask for the UN to step in. The problem is that the UN was set up to be ineffective as it relates to Russia, so it's not going to be any help.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
If Uncle Joe would open up the pipelines, reinitiate fracking, and release the hold on new drilling sites in the gulf...it'd be alot less painful

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Which is why you can't really reason with folks like Putin. I mean the guy is literally getting his own army killed, killing his own Ukrainian brethren, just "as a move", which Jesse Pinkman would say. It's all so damn pointless.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I mean, the UN is largely us as far as money and resources go, so it's not exactly pushing responsibility off to ask for the UN to step in. The problem is that the UN was set up to be ineffective as it relates to Russia, so it's not going to be any help.

True, good point- pushing it off of us and to the UN will pretty much push it right back to us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Good Lord, you are plumb awful. Just trying to troll (badly). Damn I wish you'd just stay in your hole while adults discuss some pretty serious things.

Oh 17 that. We waged a 2 decades long war that was impossible to win and would never end and now here we are with the latest issue to deal with. Each of us has to either want to intervene or be OK and not complain with whatever the result.
The rest of the world is consistently willing to chip in, if the US plays the lead. They then also all get to complain about how we led. Convenient for them. But ultimately, either the US leads and pushes everyone to step up or there is a big chance that Putin(and Jinping) does whatever he wants.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was quite young but I can remember seeing the stuff from Vietnam on TV. The news had a graphic with the "body count" every evening. That and the Troubles in Northern Ireland were on nearly every evening.

I was too Bill. We lost people in subsequent wars since but people have forgotten the price of a larger conflict and the nightly graphic on the news of KIA and MIA of American troops.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Why wont we just send Seal Team 6 after Putin? Problem solved. 1 live lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login