OT: VR headsets

HotMop

May 8, 2006
My son is wanting a virtual reality headset for his birthday. Is the Oculus Quest 2 the way to go or is there another better option?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I bought the Oculus Quest 2 for the kids. Works well. Someone shared a reddit link where Walmart.com was selling refurbs for 50% off. Walmart didn't have enough refurbs to satiate demand, so they start letting go new ones at 50% to fill the orders. Sure nuff. We got a brand new Quest 2 for half off.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Santa brought my kids an oculus quest for Christmas, and I'll tell you I've used it more than them. I have used it for games that make you move, and I sweat every time. Sometimes dripping with sweat. It can be a workout if you push yourself.

Some of the games are really fun. Others not so much. But I love the Oculus.

TwelvePackSmack

Aug 22, 2012
Santa brought the OQ2 for my son as well. I find myself playing a ping pong game called Eleven Table Tennis. It is ridiculously realistic. Playing and talking to others online is fun.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
There is a game called Thrill of the fight that is a more accurate boxing game than creed. 3 rounds will wear you out.

HamSammich

Nov 9, 2016
Got an Oculus 2 last year for Father’s Day. (Yea I have awesome kids) and I’ll give my utmost vote of confidence.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Ok, you degenerates convinced me. I got him the 256g from the link provided.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
The oculus is pretty cool. I bought if for virtual hitting but the games are really cool. The Star Wars stuff is fantastic!
When they get this stuff down to glasses instead of a headset, it's going to be crazy.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
I’ve played the top golf on one…it was one of the most entertaining games I’ve ever played…make sure you have enough room though

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
In Thrill of the fight, I went through the Easy setup and knocked everybody out except the last guy. Had to beat him by unanimous decision in 5 rounds. I was literally dripping with sweat and felt like I had run a mile, and I can't run a mile. :) I was winded for several hours afterwards. Yes, I'm out of shape. Hopefully, this can get me in better shape, because it's fun.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I meant to say earlier but didn't. You should get the biggest memory one. Not that much more expensive (maybe $100) but can hold a lot more content. Glad you did the right thing.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I imagine it'll be only one or maybe two life cycles before they get to that point. Lots of companies are going all in on the metaverse. I wasn't much of a believer until I got an oculus. I don't think there will be many more consoles created any more, as people will go more to VR headsets.

cindy.sixpack

May 25, 2018
I'm glad to see all the Meta Quest love. My husband (and his MSU degrees) has been working on it for the last 8-ish years. It's a lot more fun now that party gaming is becoming more available.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Ok, you degenerates convinced me. I got him the 256g from the link provided.
Want to do something funny. Get someone to use it with Epic Rollercoaster while standing up. It’s really funny if they have bad balance.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
My son is wanting a virtual reality headset for his birthday. Is the Oculus Quest 2 the way to go or is there another better option?

Make sure and get the strap that has an additional battery in it. It is a million times more comfortable with that on.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I remembered this thread so bumping it instead of a new one. I’m in the market for one but they’re about $500 now. Didn’t want to pay that much. Any less expensive good ones? Also I don’t have FB, & heard you have to login to the quest using FB. I was hoping to spend no more than $300. Is that doable?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I remembered this thread so bumping it instead of a new one. I’m in the market for one but they’re about $500 now. Didn’t want to pay that much. Any less expensive good ones? Also I don’t have FB, & heard you have to login to the quest using FB. I was hoping to spend no more than $300. Is that doable?

The lower end Oculus is about $300.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yes. You HAVE to have a FB account to activate it. Speaking of FB...you can get them on FB marketplace for cheap. I see used for sale all the time.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

You DON'T have to have a FB account anymore. Instead, they are requiring a Meta account. You can migrate over from your FB or oculus so that all of your apps can migrate too.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Guess I’ll have to cough up the dough or get used. So the Oculus is the way to go?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's all about games. They have the biggest "store" from what I understand. TBH, it's a novelty. My kids don't really play it anymore. It was cool for about 3 weeks. Now it collects dust. That's why there are tons of them on FB marketplace.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Ours definitely gets used in phases. It’ll go 1-2 months without being touched, and then once one of the kids suddenly remembers that we have it, they’ll play it til the battery dies every day for about two weeks.

When we got it, I was hopeful that sports, movies, and concerts were eventually going to take a big leap into VR, but the truth is that it’s still very much a novelty. Very cool in short stretches, but it’s just not a part of our weekly routine

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
The new version (Quest Pro) comes out in October, so give it a few months and you can get a Quest 2 at a discount.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
so you have to have a Meta account to use the headset? I guess I knew that you would have to plug into some ecosystem somehow to get content, but I struggle to want to support Meta. I'm sure I'll be assimilated at some point.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I’ve got a lot of time on my hands now due to early health (M.S) related retirement. Need something to get somewhat in shape, with the fitness & yoga apps. As much as I can do anyway, so I’m sure I’ll use it often.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login