OT: Weather guys - The rest of January looks crazy busy.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Well, the U.S. happens to live in one of the most dynamic convergence zones in the world. It will always be wild weather with wild swings.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Well, the U.S. happens to live in one of the most dynamic convergence zones in the world. It will always be wild weather with wild swings.
Number One Reaction GIF by Super Simple

Reactions: preacher_dawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Can one of you weather guys tell me why it's called "Global Warming" during the summer when it gets hot but called "Climate Change" in winter when the temps are crazy cold and it's snowing?
in the 80s when environmentalists started getting that term into the public psyche, they were stuck with something that was quantifiable. By pivoting to "climate change" (a great marketing move), they had a lot more leeway, too hot, climate change; too cold, climate change; too much rain, climate change; too little rain, climate change, and so on.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
in the 80s when environmentalists started getting that term into the public psyche, they were stuck with something that was quantifiable. By pivoting to "climate change" (a great marketing move), they had a lot more leeway, too hot, climate change; too cold, climate change; too much rain, climate change; too little rain, climate change, and so on.
In before lock and golfers 10 page response

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I just made a post on the first event expected Wednesday. And yes, the rest of January could be pretty active.
Thanks, I wasn't trying to start ****. Just let you guys know that if the long-term models hold, you will have the stormiest January in decades. I'll send these to you directly. I was reading about a theory about the La Nina years, which run back to back for 2 or 3 years, historically being very stormy for the Mid-South. You know how weather nerds like their severe weather event analogs.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Thanks, I wasn't trying to start ****. Just let you guys know that if the long-term models hold, you will have the stormiest January in decades. I'll send these to you directly. I was reading about a theory about the La Nina years, which run back to back for 2 or 3 years, historically being very stormy for the Mid-South. You know how weather nerds like their severe weather event analogs.
Some of our biggest severe springs have been off La Niña winters. It's just the damn things usually had the decent to wait until April to really crank up. We may potentially be looking at 3-5 just in January. Of course activity now means nothing on how active spring is or isn't. Just weird to possibly be looking at this much activity in January.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Can one of you weather guys tell me why it's called "Global Warming" during the summer when it gets hot but called "Climate Change" in winter when the temps are crazy cold and it's snowing?
I usually keep my opinions about that subject to myself but I think they are not completly right about historical temperature data. There is certainly a chemical change in our atmosphere. I will leave it there except to say I like green energy I just think we need to be realistic about the speed at which things are changed. I would love to have solar and wind power for free and an electric car to drive but I can't afford either. I also don't know what we are going to do with mountains of defunct batteries in the future.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login