OT: Welders

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Anybody here use a MIG welder regularly? I'm looking to buy one for sheet metal (body panel stuff on old cars). Taco recommended one before and for the life of me, I can't find it. I know it was a Harbor Freight maybe a 140 but can't remember.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ve got a Hobart, Miller is an excellent welder too. I’ve used the Harbor Freight welders and they’re not great. Inconsistent wire feed was always an issue on the ones I used.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You can’t go wrong with a Lincoln or Miller. We have Lincoln and Miller stick welders and a Lincoln mig welder. DO NOT buy one at Harbor Freight.

You want one with good quality that will feed the wire correctly. Those cheap ones do not.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I've got a Miller arc welder. I've done arc and brazing with acetylene but never used the MIGs. So I'll be learning first. Don't want to spend a fortune but do want one that's pretty good and easier to dial in.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My BIL is a big Harbor Freight guy. He says if you can master the tools they make, you have become a true master. There's a lot of truth in that.
Tools are meant to take abuse on the job. If I have an impact wrench that breaks after about 10-15 uses that’s not mastering tools, that’s just poor quality.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've got a Miller arc welder. I've done arc and brazing with acetylene but never used the MIGs. So I'll be learning first. Don't want to spend a fortune but do want one that's pretty good and easier to dial in.
I bought my Hobart at Tractor Supply. They usually run some good sales especially around holidays. I bought the largest 120 volt welder with gas gauges simply for convenience and portability. When you go to a 240 volt welder you limit where you can use it. I’ve actually switched to flux core wire, again for convenience. The gas shielded wire make a prettier weld but welding outside in the wind plays heck with the gas.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I have a nice Hobart that can use 110 or 230 volt supply. Hobart, Lincoln, and Miller are the gold standards IMO.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
I have a Lincoln 140 I usually use Flux-cored wire, but it has the gas bottle hookups as well. Love it. Cycles quickly for a 120v.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
I bought my Hobart at Tractor Supply. They usually run some good sales especially around holidays. I bought the largest 120 volt welder with gas gauges simply for convenience and portability. When you go to a 240 volt welder you limit where you can use it. I’ve actually switched to flux core wire, again for convenience. The gas shielded wire make a prettier weld but welding outside in the wind plays heck with the gas.
Yep on the Hobart 140, had a millermatic 130xp and I was always trying to do more than it could. Haven’t had that problem with the Hobart. It just seems “hotter” and feeds the wire better. I’d adjusted and researched to no end. Took it to an old retired friend to help and he finally said “go get the Hobart”……so I did, haven’t regretted it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login